1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Ringer] Rockets ownership has debated Morey’s employment status and whether to replace him

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lnchan, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Nah they’re not removing him. Lip service. Public relations. Morey is an idiot and should shut the **** up. Exercise restraint over emotional banter. At the end of the day it’s about dollars. Listen no one gave a damn when the British made Hong Kong their b****. Anyway can we get back to basketball?

2. HP3

HP3 Member

D-rock, lnchan and Vivi like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. CXbby

CXbby Member

You can talk about it all you want. You are not the one with anything on the line so talk is empty.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Please God be true

6. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I agree with the sentiment of your first paragraph, but sadly, I think people would forget all about Morey getting canned if the Rockets started winning.

As to what case Morey does or doesn't have in the event of his termination, what does his contract say? Texas is an at-will employment state, but that's irrelevant, as there is a contract governing Morey and the Rockets employment relationship.

I don't know what would happen. I suspect Morey's employment agreement has enough wiggle room that Fertitta can terminate his employment for something like this. I also suspect Morey would receive some large fraction of the residual salary he was entitled to under the contract.

I will he very disappointed, but not surprised, if the NBA knuckles under to China on this.

malakas likes this.
  7. YallMean

YallMean Member

There is some truth to this.

Morey is the GM of Rockets, which is for profit and relationships with China is a big thing they have worked on for years. Just like anyone in such a position should restrain from making a statement like that. In the culture of social media, especi
    Will - timing is unfortunate. There is a bigger context in the midst of a trade war and HK separation (perceived in China). Everything is political when it needs to be (Yao attends national congresses regularly).

As a GM of the Rockets, Morey probably could have held some of his thoughts and beliefs more subtly and privately.

8. Rocket_Man_2.0

This reminds me of the Chris Paul fiasco...He's gone!!

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

just to add to this, part of the initial protest was also due to dissatisfaction with the housing situation there (scare availability and obscenely inflated pricing). and part of the escalation in recent days stems from the ban on masks in public, as people there know this is directly tied to authorities wanting to get a stranglehold on the population thru facial recognition

10. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Spineless coward

11. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

If the bold is true, then the dumbest thing Morey could have done was to directly tweet about HK to the entire world.

12. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

13. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

This puts my original intent to Caucus for Jerry Yang in question. Lol

Seriously, one tweet containing a few sentences from a sports team GM, and a collective overreaction by another country and its citizens. Meanwhile, our esteemed Pres breaking laws on national tv, and nothing happens.

This is a screwed up world.

14. topfive

topfive CF OG

The saddest thing about this mess is that if you removed money from the equation, all of these people like Tilman, Silver, etc.wouldnt hesitate to back Morey's mild criticism of a communist country.

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  15. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

The reaction in that event, from this fan, will be to say: TO HELL WITH THE NBA. To hell with its hypocritical whining about social justice, unless it might cost the league money; to hell with its increasingly entitled and clueless owners; to hell with its special tax treatment, demands for public financing and subsidies.

To hell with all of it. Go set up the league in China, if kissing Chinese Communist ass is so important to these entertainers' bottom line.

csj, HP3 and count_dough-ku like this.
  16. pippsux

pippsux Member

I'm gonna say this,..... All I care about is the rocket season. If Morey can't put his phone down for a second and focus on this season, then I wish him the best.

Don't need my GM making political statements

17. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Looks like more ‘die hard Rockets fans from China’ will say good bye to CF.

18. gotsis

gotsis Member

What a lose lose situation for everyone involved.

For such a smart guy, Morey was so naive to have posted that, really hope they do some generic apology and it dies down in the coming weeks.

Hope Morey isn't fired, but I'm expecting the worse, considering the financial implications it could have.

Would be proud of Tillman if he stands up to Morey, but doubt he does this.

Easy and jcf like this.
  19. CXbby

CXbby Member

To Americans when you say you support Hong Kong it translates to supporting freedom. Who doesn't like freedom? To the Chinese when you say you support Hong Kong it translates to supporting riots and violence, and seperatism. We are on two completely different wave lengths, and the reality lays somewhere in between. People acting like it is black and white or good and evil are too naive. Imagine, world is rarely black and white, does that even need to be explained to adults?

Anyways, Morey is a dumbass for not knowing the sensitivity of the subject.

Easy, duluth111222, jcf and 1 other person like this.
  20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This is a Morey poison pill. He has wanted out since Tillman took over. He found his way out smelling like a rose.

This franchise is ****ed.

Morey isnt stupid. He knew exactly what he was doing. Morey is a numbers guy. He is smart enough not to get involved with politics unless he had an ulterior motive.