1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Ringer] Rockets ownership has debated Morey’s employment status and whether to replace him

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lnchan, Oct 6, 2019.

1. bmelo

bmelo Member

What about religion? It stands right next to beliefs. Imagine someone gets fired over his religion

HP3 likes this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

deserves its own thread

3. Newlin

Newlin Member

Firing Morey would be extremely unpopular with most Rockets fan, and would probably make things even worse for the Rockets and the NBA. While people in China may be unhappy with Morey, I think most Americans would overwhelmingly support Morey. Firing Morey could create a huge backlash here in America.

4. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

If you will believe the NBA is liberal, then I have this news for you.

Nancy Pelosi actually did a legislation lately on this Hong Kong matter and the China government also protested.

And then what?

Nothing happened.

The US government already made a stand on this. You really believe Adam Silver will act differently?

PatBev likes this.
  5. CXbby

CXbby Member

Thats only the case when you have a choice. If I have a choice of making a decent living and selling drugs to kids I can choose the former. Tilman is between a rock and a hard place. If he doesn't fire Morey he is hurting his business, and even then he will face backlash from Houston.

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

Time for Harden to speak up and let everyone know he stands behind Morey.

This is only about politics to China. For Tilman, Silver, etc. it's only about money; they could give a **** what's going on politically in Hong Kong right now.

Jake Stewart, malakas and HP3 like this.
  7. malakas

malakas Member

If you choose the former you are a sociopath and a criminal.

Having morals and doing the right thing isn't always easy.
    I want my team to have other principles besides greed.

If it's not possible, then it's also not possible between us and I have to sever our relationship.

8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

9. HP3

HP3 Member

Unfortunately I doubt James will say anything. The last thing Harden wants to do is hurt his brand in China.

10. CXbby

CXbby Member

He will face a backlash in Houston but few if any will boycott the Rockets for it. Meanwhile the Rockets are literally banned in China. Pretty easy choice.

11. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

12. HP3

HP3 Member

No, its really not. Not if we dont make it easy for Tilman. This the HOUSTON Rockets, not the Rockets owned by the Chinese government.

13. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

No it's not a good idea for any player to say anything, the Chinese Government is in a Crisis. It's more pathetic on the Government to read a Daryl Morey tweet, instead of Criminalizing the Whole Rockets Franchise.

There seems to be dictatorship, instead of Rich Business Men have a mind of their own. Banning Rockets Games is just wrong.

HP3 likes this.
  14. malakas

malakas Member

Hopefully it will make national headlines and will be used for political reasons blowing up in Snake's and Tilman's face.

The Rockets are already the most unpopular team in the country, maybe they should also become a national embarassment as a doormat.

HP3 likes this.
  15. CXbby

CXbby Member

How old are you? Wait until you are in your 30s with kids and a family, then talk to me about morals when you have to sacrifice them for it, for people you don't know or care about 5000 miles away. Again, easy to type, hard to do.

tuoxieman and RedRedemption like this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Morey you are not alone.

We are with you and may the force be with you too.

18. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Texans have lost my interest. Not a soccer fan at all but I hope the Dynamo win. I only really watch Astros in the playoffs.

Fell in love with the rockets in the late 80s as a kid. Have always supported them unconditionally through the good and bad times. I absolutely love the Rockets.

But if Morey is fired over this I'll probably just not be diehard over any sports team. Which is cool, just more time to do other things.

19. YallMean

YallMean Member

I have been holding out on this one for a while, it’s all over the news in China right now.

The clash: whether Morey is right or wrong, punishing the Rockets and NBA for what he believes in and said in social media is so repugnant against the fundamental values of this country. It is irrational. The timing is also unfortunate - it happened in the midst of HK protests and unrest’s and the trade war. This thing is more complicated than mere clash between democracy and authoritarian.

Business side: I thought Tilman had to do what he had to do in reaction. Looks like there will be sanctions not only against the Rockets but also the NBA. That’s the second largest market of NBA. Not simply another multinational company or Balmer would do better. If to blame, it’s everyone’s interest, their salaries - the game is intertwined with money, international money. What about the endorsements in China. Remover Bron wouldn’t stay behind one of his teammates because of endorsements. That in a sense is the nutshell of the global economy. Again, it’s complicated.

Damage control: I predict Morey will probably have to step down in the coming week.

Finally onto Morey’s point: when 1/3 of the city comes protesting, it cannot be simply brushed off. As someone who regularly goes there, the matter is once again complicated - the pro-democracy side took a new turn and went extreme, they know how to garner support -made it democracy v big brother. But underneath it, there is this ever declining economy status of HK, the ever rising cost of living, the rise of mainlanders and their rush to HK to make everything more expensive ...
    These all culminated into the current events -anger. The beating up of a Chinese news reporter and the separation statements alienated many mainlanders. In the end, Morey, this is far from a simple stance suppress v free. You could have used a better judgment like all of us do. Sigh

20. HP3

HP3 Member

He's may not be the wealthiest NBA owner but hes still well off lets not talk about him like he's some poor farmer lol.