1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Prime Kobe or Prime Durant

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by OlajuwonFan81, Feb 11, 2014.

?

Who do you take in their prime...Kobe or Durant?

1. Kobe

176 vote(s)
    50.1%
  2. Durant

175 vote(s)
    49.9%
  1. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I know a few months ago it was absurd to ask this question but i think with the way Durant is playing, and his team continuing to beat up the West it might be time to debate.....

2. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

the premise of your thread is flawed since durant has not even reached his prime yet.

3. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Durant just entered his prime...Kobe's prime last for about 12 years...

4. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

5. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

I have high expectations for Durant.

6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I would take KD at 25 over Kobe Bryant at 25.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Too early, but I'll say Kobe for now. Could very well be Durant down the line, though. Durant is just barely into his prime.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Can't answer. Durant could be entering his prime or THIS could be his prime, you never really know.

9. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

What do u mean too early? We all know Durant hasn't reached his prime...i get that the question is a bit confusing but my point is that would u take prime kobe of current durant?

10. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

This is so false. Kobe's prime was about 5 years imo, and most of it was when he was alone. Part was with Shaq and part with Gasol and Bynum.

He was Shaq's sidekick and I really believe the combo of Gasol/Bynum's sidekick for most of the finals.

Kobe got the MVPs on name in the Gasol/Bynum era, but if you look at his playoff stats, especially in the finals, he was much closer in stats to any old chucker than actually a superstar carrying his team.

Kobe was a great player, but KD can do so much more with so much less.

Basically the question is switch out KD for Kobe and vise versa. I believe KD would have won AT LEAST 5 titles in Kobe's shoes (same or more than Kobe), and I think the Thunder would've been worse off trading Durant for Kobe.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

the Kobe hate is strong with this one.

KD has so much less??? Dude is 6'9 with a 7'4 wingspan.

And if KD can do "so much more" than the 2nd best SG in NBA history, then that would put him on MJ's level, no?

I like KD. But stop the Kobe hate when you make arguments; otherwise, you just look stupid.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

No one knows that.

This could very well be his prime...which is STILL good for 2nd best or 1st best in the NBA btw. We can't just assume that he's young and all, remember when Dwight took the Magic to the finals?

People were saying the same things. "This is not his prime." he can still get better offensively etc etc...well that just might have been his prime, which at the time was a top 3 NBA player.

Rose might have also just pass his prime.

Durant could just remain playing at this level (which would still make him a 1st ballot HOFamer...) or he could decline for whatever reason (sometimes it is odd, some stars can just fall off suddenly, doubt it happens with Durant.) or he could have a major injury that stagnates progress.

Therefore it's too early to say if he's in his prime or not. As for the question of Current Durant or Kobe I don't know, Prime Kobe was really amazing but also was a huge ballhog and had a huge ego.

13. heypartner

25 yrs old was not Kobe's prime, nor MJs, nor Lebrons, nor Magics, nor Birds, nor Duncans, nor Nowitzki

Not getting your semantic argument.

All players get better with more experience, that has nothing to do with scoring ability...or they are revealed as not superstar, but just in the right place at the right time.

Are you comparing KD to Howard, because you think KD is in the right place at the right time, so will fall back when revealed.

14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Kobe's prime was wasted on a shetty team where he got to chuck up however many shots he wanted while getting eliminated every year in the first round

he was arguably on the decline athletically when he wont his first chip with Gasol

15. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

This is spot on. Kobe's best years were wasted.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Howard and Rose have already reached their primes. My argument is anything can happen, you can't say with certainty that this is his prime. That's just a prediction like any other. He could very well tear his ACL tonight and never be the same again...or this could very well be as good as it is going to get with him.

I'm not comparing KD to anyone, every player has their own path and road. All I'm saying is, he may be the MVP this season...it's not unbelievable that this could be as good as it gets...which is still good for 2nd best in the NBA.

Melo reached his prime years ago...yet people kept saying "He's going to get better..." just assuming that he would...it never happened. He's the same Melo he was in Denver.

17. clippy

clippy Member

Kobe's prime was in 2001-2003 when he actually played defense and his athleticism was at an all time high. His numbers are "better" in 2006 because he was chucking at an all-time rate.

Anyway, Durant now is better than either version by a substantial margin.

18. heypartner

So, would you say Melo is still in his prime? You make it sound like he regressed. He morphed into a PF. I think he is definitely better, and at worst, still in his prime.

Best seasons are not dictated by stats alone. This is not baseball.

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

KD is pretty much leading a team to the 1st seed in the toughest WC ever. I was inclined to say Kobe but I would build a team around Durant. The scary thing is , Acne still hasn't even reached his prime yet.

20. heypartner

"Substantial"

What is your definition of Substantial.

Here's my definition. Hakeem is substantially better than any Center in the last 30 years. Durant is not substantially better than Kobe's prime.

OH, and Hakeem is substantially better than KD.