1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Prime Kobe or Prime Durant

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by OlajuwonFan81, Feb 11, 2014.

?

Who do you take in their prime...Kobe or Durant?

1. Kobe

176 vote(s)
    50.1%
  2. Durant

175 vote(s)
    49.9%
  1. roslolian

roslolian Member

That's the point, we don't know how good Durant's gonna be, so comparing them "in their primes" isn't valid since KD hasn't reached his prime yet.

If your current comparison is prime Kobe vs current KD though I dunno why the poll is favor of Kobe you've gotta be nuts if you take Kobe even though I give him major props for taking such good care of his body that all his contemporaries have already retired or become has beens (Iverson, Tmac, Carter, Pierce etc.) and yet he's still one of the top players in the league. Also Kobe has probably got to be one of the least gifted super stars in the league, it's his drive and work ethic not his insane physical gifts (as is the case with LBJ and KD) that got him where he is today.

With all that said though, KD's so much better than Kobe it isn't even funny. If you want to actually win ball games, KD's not a ball hog and knows how to play nice with other stars. He's also taller at 6'9, and has better scoring abilities. Even if you say Kobe might be better on D, that's also because he's playing SG, if KD plays SG as well instead of SF he'd dominate defensively as he's 3 inches taller than his opponent and is just as quick and athletic, while Kobe would get mauled by the 6'8 SFs guarding KD. Kobe might have more hardware, but that's also because he had the privilege of playing with both Shaq and Gasol in their prime. If current KD had teamed up with Shaq back then, they'd have ended up with more than 3 rings.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Durant has the potential to be the most lethal player in NBA history.

7ft small forward that shoots the rock better than anybody in the league and can handle the ball like a guard.

Its damn near impossible to defend him when he has his shot going already, the dude will only improve.

The early Kobe teams allowed Kobe to showcase great offensive power but it was fools gold to the lakers long term success. They barely snuck into the playoffs year after year. KD is dominating this league without his 2nd best player and some average to above average players.

Did I mention that Scott Brooks is his coach. Thats right, no PJ...Scott Brooks to mentor him...

3. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

I agree 100%. Not sure why the poll is structured as such.

4. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

Give me Kobe.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

MJ?

Since when did Durant grow 3 inches. And doesn't Lebron dribble pretty well, too, pass better, and can shoot from everywhere Durant does, plus is arguably the best low post player in the league.

hmmm. I like KD, but this Kobe and Lebron hate is getting silly.

This reminds me of the year of Drexler making it to the Finals, and people were saying Drexler is equal to MJ, as some new argument. Then MJ just went insane in Game 1 of the finals to make a statement. People said Drexler was a better shooter, so MJ nailed 5 threes in the 1st quarter.

[​IMG]

I think if KD faces Lebron in the Finals, same thing might happen.

#25 heypartner, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  6. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I wasn't going to use this as a huge point of emphasis because it is hypothetical, but any argument like this is based off pretty much 100% hypothetical situations or facts that do not tell the whole story. But, I think that Durant would play with Shaq throughout their careers vs Kobe pushing Shaq out. That alone means Durant + Shaq would most likely end up with 6 rings and not 3. That alone makes me pick Durant.

7. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Too early to call it, but I'd take Durant at 25 over Kobe at 25. At the same age Durant has already won 3 (going on 4) scoring titles, finished 2nd in MVP voting 3 times (might win this year) and led a team to the Conf Finals twice and Finals once.

8. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

I meant offensively. Lebron is the best (whole) player, no question, but Durant is a much better offensive player. Lebron doesn't shoot nearly as well as Durant either. You also have to look at coverage and the type of shots Lebron takes.

Also, don't be nitpicky. Dwight is considered a 7fter but is actually 6'10" and stands around the same height as KD from what I've seen while at the games.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yes, he's been in that prime (Melo) for awhile now...but the old thought was that Melo would mature and grow into a leader and a defender and be Lebron's main rival...it never came to be. He's still just the dynamite scorer he's always been. He is better, marginally though.

Personally I don't see Durant getting better by leaps and bounds, he'll get marginally better if at all from here. It's not like this being his prime is a bad thing...at this level he's playing at he could still win MVPs and rings.

10. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Lol. The glorification of Kobe has reached a new low (high?). KD has a 31 PER and is leading the best team in one of the toughest conference ever. That is similar to Jordan's prime not Kobe's. Kobe in his best year (28 PER on way worse efficiency) is not even close to what Durant is doing right now.

11. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

I hate being a staunch supporter of Durant but this is my reasoning in this case as well.

We all saw Kobe trying to lead teams, the chucking, the frustration, the wanting to be traded.

Durant is like what Lebron was doing in the east with Cleveland, except in a MUCH harder conference while having less help than Lebron did on that final cavs team.

I don't think anybody would draft Kobe ahead of Durant.

12. clippy

clippy Member

Well, prime Kobe didn't do a single thing better than current Durant so I would consider that substantial.

13. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Listen I dont care much for the Lakers, but Kobe took trash to the playoffs...complete trash.

KD's success currently is mired by the fact that he has players that are actually stepping up in the absence of Westbrook (ie Reggie Jackson, and Lamb)...And this was the key...Kobe remarkably took crap to the playoffs...

KD in my eyes is a terrific player...heck reminds me of a more efficient Tracy McGrady with a desire to be great(and get out of the first round)...When its all said and done, Kevin Durant might show us what a motivated McGrady couldve become. But Kobe Bryant was the closest thing to Jordan for a reason. He was just ridiculous during his prime.

14. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Illtell you this Durant is way more efficient than Kobe

15. Willard Decker

^This thread is irrelevant. Durant hasn't reached his prime.

--Captain Decker

16. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Bro...? No.

LeBron carried his team to the 2007 finals going through an end of prime era Pistons team.

His 2nd best player? Larry Hughes, Big Z, Boobie Gibson? IDK...

His head coach? Mike Brown? Since when has anyone ever said he is a great coach?

KD had WB, Harden, solid bench, great head coach.

Honestly, you shouldnt knock what LeBron did in Cleveland. Dude had a coach who road LeBron's success to make himself look better, and the GM and Owner wouldnt pay to bring in any support for him to actually win anything. For him to make the Finals was an amazing feat.

KD is on a super hot streak right now, so everyone is buying the KD stock while it's high.

Kobe has won and done more than KD has, so right now I pick Kobe. Just because he isnt as efficient doesnt mean he isnt great. I dislike Kobe, but I respect the shet out of him.

In 10 years if we revisit this topic, we will see what KD has done in his career.

Basically the same argument that people had a few years ago about Kobe vs LeBron when he hadn't won any rings. I still took LeBron just because I felt he had accomplished so much already.

KD has won 2 or 3 scoring titles, had made the finals 1 time, and is a multiple all-star. Until he gets some MVPs and/or Championships, as well as more years of dominating like he has the last 2-3 years, I cannot say he deserves a nod over Kobe.

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

18. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

That actually wasn't the team I was talking about, I was talking about "Final" as in his last team in cleveland. I probably should have worded it better. They were able to win over 60+ games in the regular season so you can't say that team was trash. Yes, in 07 Lebron did take a trash team to the finals, but the pistons were the only real competition he faced getting there and it showed when they faced the spurs.

I'm not trying to take a shot at Lebron, I already said he's the best player on the planet.

How can you discount it as a hot streak when KD has been the best scorer in the game over the last couple of years? He's just been continuing his trajectory and improved. The major point this season being that without Westbrook he can face the pressure and still dominate.

I understand where you are coming from bro, but you yourself said that you picked Lebron in the Kobe vs Lebron debate when Lebron never won any rings. Using that same logic, Durant is having one of the most impressive seasons in NBA history, while leading his team to the a comfortable #1 seed in the toughest WC playoff race ever.... Its also not like Durant hasn't done anything, he's pretty much a lock for the MVP this year, has won a couple of scoring titles (just like Lebron did..) and has already lead his team to the NBA finals (also like Lebron) at similar points in their careers. Just to make it clear also, I like Kobe much more than I like KD, I just can't ever see myself building around Kobe over Durant.

19. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Taking trash to the playoffs doesn't mean much. Mcgrady was able to do it with the magic and almost managed to beat the #1 seed Pistons. Even then I always considered Kobe to be better than him.

You are also selling KD way short and need to put the season he is having thus far into perspective...on top of the fact that he is leading an undermanned team (yes I know other players step up but they are role players).

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So we're asking poor man's Jordan or poor man's Lebron?

Give me poor man's Lebron any day.