1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Prime Kobe or Prime Durant

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by OlajuwonFan81, Feb 11, 2014.

?

Who do you take in their prime...Kobe or Durant?

1. Kobe

176 vote(s)
    50.1%
  2. Durant

175 vote(s)
    49.9%
  1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Well that's the point the hurhuhurhur Kobe has more le rings therefore better than Lerbon and Durant comment is r****ded.

In reality he wouldn't have won shet without Gasol and Shaq and he didn't even win a ring in his prime either.

2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Those observations actually undermines Kobe's accomplishments since it establishes that you need a good TEAM to win rings. Kobe has inferior statistics to all of those players and his only argument is rings (which we already established doesn't mean much to individual greatness since it has to do with how many good teams he's been on).

3. Shaud

Shaud Member

Only thing I hate about these Kobe discussions is people act like he was some type of role player on those Laker Championship teams with Shaq.

He was a huge key to them winning a title. Sure he wasn't the best player on the team but if he didn't play good I don't think the Lakers win a title.

4. arjun

arjun Member

this has got to be a joke.

kobe FOR SURE.

(for now..)

5. Toast

Toast Member

This poll is way closer than I expected. Kobe. Lock-down defender. When you NEED a play -- on EITHER side of the ball -- you go straight to number 8 (since we're talking prime, I'm going with Kobe pre number switch).

6. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Voted for Kobe.

Who would I want on my team? Durant.

7. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

I actually agree with this 100%. Given Kobe coming out of highschool, combined with the fact Shaq was already a dominate force, theres no way it could've been Kobe's team anyway. By the time the Lakers started rebuilding, Kobe wasn't close to the athlete he came in the league being. What people fail to point out is guys like MJ never went through a rebuilding process like Kobe. Yet misinformed fans continue to use this time period against Kobe's legacy when compared to player who never went through a rebuilding phase

8. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Rings do matter. Especially when you do it having to sacrifice years of rebuilding, then having the will to remain great enough to win 2 more rings with a totally new group of players (outside of D.Fisher).

KD's a beast and is already better than LBJ. But I don't see him going to the playoffs with Smush Parker, Chris Mihm & Kwame Brown in the Western Conference

9. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Nobody wins on their own. I get the Shaq carrying Kobe part but throwing in Gasol is silly to me. Gasol was a really good basketball player but he was never a superstar or a top 10 player in the league. Kobe could have won rings with a lot of other players.

10. Shaud

Shaud Member

He is not better than Lebron James

11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Would you agree that the Odom/Gasol/Bynum frontcourt was arguably the best frontcourt in the league?

12. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

Kobe. Rings. Was rarely overmatched or outplayed in playoff games. Makes winning plays.

13. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

True, but how many teams won a championship in the last 30 years with only 1 HOF'er? '94 Rockets and '04 Pistons? That's all I can think of. Maybe the Mavs also since Kidd was meh that season.

14. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Prime Kirby. But it's closer than I thought.

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Your full of shet if u think Durant cant carry a team to a .500 record like Kobe did no matter what players he has on his team.

16. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Your an idiot. We're talking Smush Parker & KWAME BROWN. That's like replacing Ibaka out the starting lineup w/ Thabeet and then Westbrook w/ Ish Smith. No way he's getting a 8th seed, or pushing a Phoenix team with Nash to 6 games. C'mon now

17. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Yes he is

18. clippy

clippy Member

1) You're.

2) Durant is carrying a team that starts Perkins & Sefolosha to the best record in the West.

3) Nash's supporting cast was just as bad as Kobe's that year but he took his team to the WCF.

4) The series went 7 games, not 6. You probably just want to forget game 7 because Kobe went invisible, as he usually does in elimination games.

19. SK34

SK34 Member

Sefolosha isn't that bad. A very good defender and does other things to help team win.

Perkins, I agree.

But its Kobe w/ Parker, Mihm, Kawme Brown.... vs KD w/ Perkins

20. clippy

clippy Member

It's KD w/ Perkins/Sef/Ibaka/Jackson vs Kobe w/ Smush/Mihm/Kwame/Odom. I mean, yeah, Durant's team is better but it's not like he's playing with a stacked roster out there, and he's taking this team to the best record in the toughest conference ever. Meanwhile Kobe barely makes the playoffs (and subsequent back-to-back 1st round exits) when he FINALLY doesn't have the best talent in the NBA and people are like "what a hero". What did he accomplish that other wings (eg Allen, TMac, VC, Iverson) didn't do ahead of him? Most of those guys had crap teams their whole careers.