1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official McHale Coach of the Year Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Mar 7, 2013.

1. CertifiedTroll

I agree McHale has done well with this team, and his offense is fun as hell to watch. Time for the players to get better at defense and we will be very good.

2. cw3k

cw3k Member

McHale's offense is ISO Harden. How is it fun to watch?

3. FTW

FTW Member

meh. say what?!

4. jocar

jocar Member

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ch-kevin-mchales-smartest-moves-of-the-season

Most analysts on ESPN, NBAtv and internet blogs think he's doing awesome. It's a minority in CF that don't. I'd give him a C, cuz I think he's too slow to counteract other coaches.

5. archinkent

archinkent Member

Well, if Brown and D'antoni could win COY while being carried by their star players, then I don't see why Mchale can't. ;)

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't think he is all that great as a coach as far as Xs and Os goes, but he is probably pretty good at motivating and has credibility with the players.

He would not be my top choice, and I think he gets outcoached a lot by others in key situations.

As for coach of the year, possibly - maybe Mark Jackson if GS holds on.

DD

7. PooleBoi7

PooleBoi7 Member

tell me about it bro....:rolleyes: The logic on clutchfans is close to nonexistent. Instead, they ask for Rick Adelman back. Great job he's been doing up in Minnesota..:rolleyes:

8. PooleBoi7

PooleBoi7 Member

Really?? So I guess Harden goes out there and puts up 105 pts. every game. Yeah, that's all Harden. This team was winning last year before that 7 game meltdown as a team, and were a loooooot worse than we were this year.

I understand what you mean about the Iso Harden thing. It does get irritating, I admit. But there are many other puzzle pieces on this team that do their part and play well.

9. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Why not? We were suppose to be one of the worst teams in the league. In made sense, we were the youngest coming in. He has to be on the list at least

10. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

No, this is not a joke thread. Unfortunately, our fans are no different than fans of every other team that exists in the NBA. Head coaches are routinely trashed by the fan base- except for the last one standing- and believe me, Spoelstra was being absolutely hammered by the Heat fan base until the moment the Heat won the championship. And for many, they won in spite of him. Hell, Phil Jackson was villified by numerous Lakers fans over the past couple of years prior to his retirement. Even Popovich has a large number of detractors.

I've been on this board for about 8 years, and I've seen every single coach mercilessly villified by the fan base- that includes Van Gundy, Adelman, and McHale. The truly great teams are going to win regardless of whether the coach is great, good, or average. The truly bad teams will not make the playoffs under a Phil Jackson or Popovich. It's time for a handful of Rockets fans to take a big spoonful of reality- and, really, they just need to shut the f**k up with this per-game "horrible coach" crap. McHale does his job. He makes some questionable decisions- like all coaches do- but he has the respect of his players- like most coaches do- and he knows the game of basketball, period. Please, some of you, stop with the bulls**t armchair point guard nonsense after every frigging game or play.

2 people like this.
  11. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I've been saying for months that he has a very good shot at being coach of the year. I think one of the most important things for any NBA coach to do is to get the players to buy in to what the coach wants and to play hard. McHale has succeeded in getting this young team to come together and play hard every night. I think many of the problems on defense has to do with the players being so young. It just takes time for young players to learn how to play good team defense. Much of the criticism McHale has received from Clutchfans members has been ridiculous.

12. sammsung987

sammsung987 Member

Yes he has brought us to the playoffs by using ISO Harden and limiting Lins play in the 4th. No other coach would of done that.

13. archinkent

archinkent Member

If you have actually watched the Timberwolves, you would know that they had lost half of their rosters to injury.

Adelman is future HOF coach, Mchale dreams of being one.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Like the president of the nation, the head coach is typically blamed too much of the failures and given too much credit for its success. McHale is no exception. I wouldn't be surprised if he won COY. But then a lot of COYs were just a one-year wonder. One year of a coach's performance is almost like one month of a player's performance. The sample size is kind of small.

I've criticized some of his decisions. But overall, he has done a fine job so far. Is he a great coach? We'll have to wait and see a few more seasons.

15. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Yup, that's exactly the reason we've played so well. :rolleyes:

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The same could be said of any and every Coach of the Year. Coaches nowadays don't do it alone. That's a weak argument.

When he came in, he said he was going to keep Adelman's offense that relied on players reading the defense and be creative. Last year, I was critical of him because it looked like he went away from that. But, this year, it's back and it's working great. I still think Ademan is a great coach, but McHale is making me not miss him so much. I think he won't actually get it, but I think he's a credible pick.

17. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

LMAO it's called coach of the YEAR for a reason. It's based solely on that year. What you did before or do after has no role in this award. How is a full season to small too crown somebody, COACH OF THE YEAR?

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And the coach has nothing to do with any of that?

19. wakkoman05

wakkoman05 Member

I love the CF community, but people really need to step back and put things in perspective. McHale has successfully implemented a new style of offense with a BRAND new roster in less than a year. Oh, and he's coaching the least experienced team in NBA history. McHale is not a GOOD coach, he is a GREAT coach.

20. BayMind

BayMind Rookie

No coach should ever be in the COY discussion when their team is LAST in terms of actual wins versus expected wins based on differential power ranking or expected wins. The Rockets are the most underperforming team based on the stats and the talent they have on this roster.

No coach should ever be in the COY discussion when they are 8-17 in games within 8 points.