1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official McHale Coach of the Year Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

haters gonna hate

[​IMG]

2. PeppermintCandy

At one point do you attribute anything good that's happening with the team to the coach's ability or decision-making?

3. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

There are only few things you can judge a coach:
    1. Rotation
    2. Timeout managements
    3. Planning for games ahead, strategies to employ

everything else is very subjective as we can not see them first hand. IMO he is pretty bad those 3.

4. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

McHale has played a key role in the improved offensive output, you're being disingenuous if you don't think he's had a hand in it.

5. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

is it les(pushing for a run and gun team), Mchale, Sampson or finch? we really don't know and can not know as we dont have inside access...judging a coaches performance based on that is also being disingenuous...

it has also been well established that finch is the offensive coordinator and sampson is the defensive coordinator... who really deserves the credit? no one knows... so we cannot give him credit on that...

6. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

McHale is the head coach so you credit him. That's how it works. We've played super small ball, stretch-4s and ran the floor almost all season long. That's a key reason behind our offensive production and so we can credit him for that - because he's the head coach. And prior to the season he was talking about this being the system he was planning on running as well. Don't give me conspiracy speculation.

But we also credit him with sitting Asik ice cold, running bizarre rotations, giving Harden & Parsons virtual immunity, letting Delfino go into rambo mode, treating Lin like ****, playing rooks during crunch-time and the clear lack of defensive improvement over the season.

7. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

LMFAO when did I give conspiracy theories?

all I said is we cannot give him credit for the offensive system as many people can have a hand on it (finch, and other assistant coaches). and can never know who really taught the team as we are not in the practices.

and its a known fact that Les wants a run and gun team. so we cannot really know if it is Mchale who decided that offensive system.

but I judge him based on the 3 things:
    1. rotation
    2. timeout management
    3. and strategies
    which what are visible to us.

this is part of his rotation and "strategies" isn't it?

8. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Great thread. Really liking McHale this year.

Repped.

9. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Les has wanted a run and gun team since the beginning of time. Did the Rockets field a run & gun team during the Van Gundy years? What was their pace under Adelman?

And - McHale is the head coach so he gets credited, that's how it's always worked.

And fyi I currently strongly dislike McHale - you just have to learn to give credit where credit is due.

10. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

And Chris Finch may have two hands in it to improve Rockets offense. Nominate Finch instead.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

I really do believe McHale is costing this team wins, not adding them. I believe this because every single game I notice glaring rotational mistakes and ISO hero-ball out of timeouts at crunch time instead of actual prepared plays.

That said, I don't think the coach can make that big of a difference. But if we miss the playoffs by a game or two, I'm playing McHale.

12. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

A coach can make a world of difference. Look at Deron's production under Sloan cf. Avery

Or Boozer going from being considered one of the elite PFs in the league to sticking out like a sore thumb under Thibodeau.

You could make a case for the Kobe Lakers in their twilight years with Phil and without.

Nash in the Mavericks cf. D'Antoni Suns

Raymond Felton in the 2011-2012 Portland Trailblazers

What about the spike in team performance that often happens after firing an under-performing coach?

Your coach can make a huge impact on the game if he decides he doesn't want one of the league's premiere defenders in the game and would prefer a rookie 6'8 PF playing centre instead.

13. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

And the stats back it up. According to points differential, power rankings, etc. we are the most underperforming team in the league. We should have won a lot more games than we have.

The 'eye test' surely backs it up as well, how many times do you remember us losing games that you felt we clearly should have won, or games that we failed to close out.

And then you look at our record in close games. 8-17.

All signs point to bad coaching.

14. kumakun

kumakun Member

Let's see the difference between a great coach and McHale. A great coach is not afraid of any superstar and knitted who's the best person in critical situations. McHale is much worst when it comes to game time critical decisions.
    For instance Pop will NOT just okay heroball last minute, anyone could be a hero.
    A great coach can tame the ego beasts. McHale cant control the players once they start going iso and just cuddling shots. A good coach has his team always in control regardless of score or pressure. (Ie Miami's spoelstra).
    A good coach NEVER has his starting lineup question his decisions because there Is a level of trust. (Knicks Woodson) and dealing with Am are
    Stoudameire).

These are a few reasons why McHale
    Is a terrible coach. if your mind and heart is not invested in each and every player on your team how will you have them playing at their personal best level.

15. evo8lover

evo8lover Member

a coach with no "playbook" for coach of the year? NO WAY.

16. pass_to_Hakeem

^^^^^^ I totally agree. I have read enough "Fire McFail" post in here and I laugh. These guys are hopefully on course to make the playoffs in his 2nd season as coach BUT ITS JUS COACHING/ DEVELOPING the likes of DMo and G Smith, Asik and now T Rob that really sticks out!! If HOU could just find a Defevsive Coordinator ha ha .. Seriously , McHale is not the problem !!!

17. pass_to_Hakeem

BUT IT'S HIS ^

18. andersongo

andersongo Member

McSuccess, Coach of the Year? Was this ever in doubt? Did you see how he fooled Rick Carlisle into thinking that he called a time-out to draw up an actual play? Did you see how he intelligently switched 6'6 Delfino onto 7'0 Dirk to match Dallas smallness? Did you see how he send out Energizer bunny Beverley to lock down that bad man, Mike James? No, you didn't see any of that? Then you ain't seen McSuccess!
    We've got McSuccess!They scared now!

19. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

No for the simple reason that it's not because of his coaching that we're doing better than expected. It's the play of our new guys in Harden, Lin, Asik and the steady force of Parsons + Delfino & PG play off the bench with the style of play that has been thrust upon us by Alexander and Morey, i.e. run until you die!

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Welcome to ... The Theater of the Absurd.