1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official McHale Coach of the Year Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Mar 7, 2013.

1. PooleBoi7

PooleBoi7 Member

And the Rockets weren't injured when Adelman was our coach either right? Point blank it didn't work out. And we had the injury bug for a much longer period time during his tenure. This is only McHale's second year with the squad....last year we still had a winning record with inexperience and a few injuries. Would have made the playoffs last year if it wasn't for the meltdown.

1. Entirely different team than last year...
    2. Inexperience at it's finest. Youngest NBA team.
    3. His daughter died as well....
    4. Still is position to make the playoffs...

Not saying that he's the best coach ever, but the dude has some balls.

2. SirKen

SirKen Member

I am just waiting for mchale's contract to be over, so that we can hear about what exactly went behind the closed doors. Kind of like what happened at minnesota.

3. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

How good are teams that are this young? Tell me that. The outlook before the season was a lottery team, one of the worst. I'd say we overachieved. Teams usually take a year or two to completely gel. Harden and Lin are starting their first seasons as starters.

I'm pretty sure the most underperforming team is the Lakers based on their talent

4. Ultimate6thMan

Everyone keeps talking about how young our team is and how they are overachieving.

Okay, tell me how many other young teams in NBA had the fifth leading scoring who is an Allstar and went to the finals the previous year as the NBA's 6th man of the year? Plus had an PG who broke out the year before with something anywhere near "Linsanity" and got a performance contract to continue that on another team? And got what was considered to be the most underrated defensive center in the league on another big contract because he was EXPECTED to perform way beyond most people's expectations?

Did I mention anything about how good Parsons was last year as well?

So although our team is young and inexperienced together, they are pieces brought together like no other young team in NBA history as well probably.

And their statistics say that we should be a better team right now in terms of wins and loses.

So enough with the this team is too young to have won as many games as they have already and they wouldn't have it McHale wasn't their coach.

5. BayMind

BayMind Rookie

The Rockets are NOT "overachieving". They are actually the most UNDERACHIEVING team in the entire league based on differential power ranking or expected wins. Similar to baseball, you can calculate expected wins based on the stats of the team. The Rockets have lost 5-10 games this year they should have won, but lost due to terrible coaching.

Pretty much every positive thing people have listed in this thread, are actually reasons for why Daryl Morey should be GM of the Year. The Rockets have succeeded because Morey pulled several good moves this year.

But based on the stats, the Rockets should have won EVEN MORE if they had competent coaching. McHale and Sampson (defensive coordinator) should be fired for underperforming so much, and also for having an embarrassingly bad defense

6. andersongo

andersongo Member

The Rockets were projected as a lottery team because the talent of the players were massively underrated. Coming into the season, Lin was seen as a gimmick player, Asik had huge question marks over him as a starter, Stephen A Smith (and all the talking heads in the media) have never heard of Parsons and the starting PF in the land of the PFs was Carl Herrera's BFF. All of them have proved to be solid players and the addition of Harden provided the spark required to push the team into playoffs contention.
    Look, I can understand the tendency to underrate the talent of a team by thinking that they are overachieving if they are being coached by great coaches like Pop, PJax, Larry Brown, etc....But to underrate the talent of this roster to prop up McSuccess? WOW

7. HTXcfs

HTXcfs Rookie

You're dumb AF if you dont think any of these things were effected or expected by the coaching staff

8. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

LOL So you think McHale has nothing to do with the Rockets success this season? What a joke.

Tell me, where did you expect them to be before the season started? If you think we are better than 7th seed, then what? 6th is not that far off....did you expect them to be the 4th or 5th best team in the NBA? Really? A brand new team with a new lineup and no chemistry and we are not overachieving? Wow, I've heard it all.

9. HTXcfs

HTXcfs Rookie

They've lost 5-10 games because of their sheer lack of experience. More experience is a direct correlation in having the intuition to know how to close games. Young players tend to get rattled and not execute (poor passed, bad shots, botched sets) in clutch situations. Guys that have been around the league have experienced these situations and know how to handle them. You wouldn't expect a college team of all freshman to beat a team of all seniors, given they are at respectable programs.

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Hahaha I stopped right here. You're going off power rankings? Power rankings are nothing more than some writers opinion. Expected wins? Lmao. There are wins and there are loses. Do expected wins get you in the playoffs? Get out of here with that.

11. andersongo

andersongo Member

Yes, I absolutely think that McSuccess has been a minimal factor in the Rockets' "success" thus far. Any other run of the mill coach will have achieved the same or more with this set of talented and very coachable players. The Rocekts either win blowouts or lose; they are not able to squeeze out close games because this requires legit in-game coaching, which they don't have.

12. HTXcfs

HTXcfs Rookie

Because we score more then anyone in the league and play with an incredibly fast pace..

And if you've ever paid attention to a game, or read previous threads on CF's, he doesn't call Harden iso plays. Harder clearly initiates them when he gets the ball, holds it, and waits for a screen action on or off ball.

13. BayMind

BayMind Rookie

I said differential power rankings. Meaning, based on many team statistics what is the expected value or expected win total.

The Rockets were winning while McHale was on personal leave. This team would have won even more games if they actually had good coaching. Morey did a great job but this team would be a #4 seed with Adelman or another competent coach

14. bc2k

bc2k Member

Coach of the year does not adjust in-game strategies according to what the other teams do, they make the opponents adjust to him.

15. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Well you even dumber if you can't even make a solid argument... smh ;)

16. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

It's more like because of Morey we are what we are as a team with Harden, Parsons, Lin and Asik. On the other hand, Wasn't McHale the one wanted Royce White, from what I remember reading here on CF last year???

17. Hous-TO-n

Hous-TO-n Member

Dropping 3s with Iso Harden can win you COY?
    We all see how sucks it is when we are only averaging on 3s game
    and Harden was doubled when we force running ISO.

And Mchale never did anything about that "in game"

18. HTXcfs

HTXcfs Rookie

you think that your list of things just magically happened this year? That McHale didnt spend hours working with players like Asik and GSmith to improve their games?

Or trust in veteran players like Delfino?

Or that they didnt connect with players and get them to buy into their system?

I didnt argue a point because if what you listed was true, that would imply that we have the dumbest, most ignorant coaching staff to ignore all the strong points of our team

19. Ultimate6thMan

EXACTLY! If McFAIL was our GM, we would be stacked with Royce Whites.

Morey is the GM of the year because of the team he put together using the contracts and skills that he did to do so.

McFAIL is pissed off at Morey because he doesn't have Dragic and Patterson or other players he really liked, because McFAIL lacks vision and insight as a GM.

So McFAIL probably doesn't really dislike JLin, he is just trying to piss off Morey for not doing what he wanted him to, because he figures prolly that he is a HOF player/coach who should be listened to more than some MIT graduate.

I predict that McFAIL will lose this battle with the GM of the Year Morey who was just extended another 4 years!

20. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Yea, that has nothing to do with an inexperienced team/players :rolleyes: