1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official "Dawg Pound" Fan Group Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 27, 2006.

1. K-Dawg

K-Dawg Contributing Member

Prices for Guys Night Out tickets depend on the section you choose. In Rowdyville (sec 101), they're $82 for 2 tickets, 2 cheeseburgers and 2 beers (or sodas). It's even a better deal than the 30% off we did last Friday.

2. K-Dawg

We do, in fact, sell a frozen drink called "Rocket Fuel"

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Rockets do have the right mix of outside shooters to sponsor such a drink. :D

4. K-Dawg

I'm with you on this. Initially I thought "Rowdies" was soft but it's grown on me. We can do cool things with "Red Alert", as others have suggested, but it's kinda similar to Miami's "Sea of Red" last year.

5. K-Dawg

Agreed. Last night was a weak night for the Rowdies. Especially on the heels of Friday's showing.

SO LET'S GET IT GOING ON WEDNESDAY AGAIN. Need anyone who plans on coming to call Brian Hopkins to buy the Guy's Night Out tix. That way I'll know how many. And I'll work on getting some T-shirts done.

6. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

My wife can't go to this game with me, but I'll go if I can get the deal. If someone needs a second person email me through the board.

7. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

I thought they did "The Red Zone" (Twilight Zone takeoff).

Incredibly it worked very well, especially with the typical bandwaggon fan here in South Florida. It was all about hype; EVERYTHING had "Red Zone" on it: the tickets, shirts, commercials, even a huge banner outside the arena in anticipation of the playoffs.

If Miami is successful in getting the entire place up and excited, no reason the entire arena in Houston can't do the same. This is a great start for something BIG. :)

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Sounds like the majority of requests could be summed up as:
    -highlight us
    -discount the seats

Personally speaking, I'd rather most of the burden be on us to draw the attention. The goal of this whole thing, in my mind, should be to get the Toyota center up and cheering. Not so much as a vehicle for "fame." Everyone wants to be noticed, but infecting the crowd with energy would be my focus.

Ken, my 2 cents would be that it's maybe too early for us to be an every game thing right off the bat. For this season, maybe focusing on the "Night Out" games or other promotions that could be parlayed into discounting the section would work. I'm sure we could manage 50-80 a game if it were two or three games a month, and you would get a solid block of us going full tilt as long as we know what particular game is a (Clutchfans) Red Alert game to go to. I doubt my voice, money, or marriage would last if I attempted to be a Red Alert Rowdy in each of the 14 remaining home games. Plus, I wouldn't want the section to fizzle.

For next season, could we look into making it a season ticket package that could be divided up among us? Again, I think if there was a rotation, people could hit, say, 14 of the 41 home games and open up full throttle. Would that be possible? Offer Clutchfans season, half, 14, and 6 game plans in June? We could fill up the section for 06-07 pretty easy that way.

Evan

PS - I will accept the power dancers as payment :)

9. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

Welcome, K-Dawg.

I was there on Friday and had a blast. Thanks for making this happen.

As other posters have said, once this becomes a Brand, so to speak, it will sell itself. When people know who the Rowdies are, they will want to be the Rowdies. The catch, obviously, is that it takes some time to build a brand. It takes an investment.

My suggestion: Invest in offering the discount prices in the short-term. Maybe the next few games. During these games, promote the hell out of the section. Pimp them on the 'tron. Get an article in the Chronicle. (Good idea whoever suggested that---you've seen how flimsy their stories are on non-game-days; the editor of the sports section would kill for a new story) Do the shout-outs. Oh, and there's one thing in life that draws eyeballs like none other: cleavage. Get the Power Dancers (or at least a couple of them) to do some dances from the Rowdies section.

About the name:

Red Alert
    On the one hand, "Red Alert" is a solid name for the overall section. And I like that it connotes a call to action. That said, what does that make the fans in the section? Alerters? Ideally, you should be able to call the fans by the name. So that Bill Worrell can say something like, "Boy, Clyde, those Rowdies are really loud tonight. Of course, you must have heard a lot of loud noises, being a Hall of Famer."

Rowdies
    By itself, it's fine. K-Dawg, also didn't like it at first, but it's growing on me. And here's why: When I heard the name, "Rocket Rowdies" last week, I gagged. No offense to whoever coined the name, but it's cheesy. It's a great name for a little league baseball team. And nothing else.

Taking away the 3rd-grade-sounding-allilteration, though, Rowdies itself isn't half bad.

My proposal? Either just "The Rowdies," or, better yet, the Clutch Rowdies.

Why Clutch Rowdies works:

Links back to the Rockets franchise
    Implies that Rowdies themselves are clutch
    Kinda sounds like "Clutch City" (okay, i'm biased -- i really liked my idea for Clutch Crazies before I knew that Duke already had the Crazies)
    It's almost like we're Clutch's elite group or hardcore fans -- the wild ones that he unleashes when it matters most.

10. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

No kidding, it was a blast!

Well said. Building a brand takes time and investment and the Rowdies section is a brand worth building.

I personally liked "Clutch Crazies" enough to have a t-shirt made with that on the front. However, combining the two from above yields "Red Alert Rowdies" which I don't think is half bad. The section could be called "Red Alert" and the fans in that section could be the "Rowdies" and everyone is happy!

11. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

Unfortunately I can only afford to only go to about 2 games a year, if that. I would love to be there with you all and lose my voice as well but even the 2 games a year I can afford are going to be in the upper part of TC. My experience has been that is where the real fans are anyways. Ticket and parking prices have gotten so completely insane that I will have to be there in spirit. I hope that everyone who can go does and get it LOUD for our rockets and have a great time. We NEED this. I am tired of seeing empty seats and the other day at the clippers game I was in the upper deck and felt that for 90% of the game I could have shouted out anything and be heard around the entire arena it was sadly that quiet.

12. underoverup

underoverup Member

red alert rowdies sounds like a winner; RAR :cool:

13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

K-Dawg, you mention the middle sections (106-108 and 119-121) costing $200/seat. Have you noticed during the games, even though they were purchased ahead of time, no one fills them?

Is there anyway like during the 4th quarter, if they don't get filled, that you could fill them with Red Alert Rowdies? Or even before the game, offer them as a low, low discount? Just curious....

It would be nice to see those $200 seats filled with rowdy bowdy Red Alert fans cheering on the Rockets. It's hard to see the fans in those areas just sitting there with their Blackberry's, cell texting their work, etc.

14. K-Dawg

Lots of good thoughts here. I think you're on to something with season ticket package that can be split amongst the Clutchfans. We'd need to figure out the logistics but I like the idea.

15. K-Dawg

What about "Red Rowdies"?

16. K-Dawg

I hear ya on this. And it's a problem that we're looking to fix. Believe it or not, most of the tix are already sold as season tix. And we haven't warmed to the idea of seat fillers. Not yet at least.

17. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Last Friday was so much fun I told my friends.

I just got 5 buddies together for tomorrow night plus I'm waiting to hear back from at least 3 more.

Come on, Clutchfans! Lets get Sec 101 Rockin' again!!!!

18. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Great ideas from everyone.

I can't tell you how great the it was to hear the TC rocking last Friday nite and hope it rocking this Friday when we head back down for the game vs Melos Nuggets...

19. K-Dawg

Keep in mind...tomorrow night's game is on ESPN so the Rowdies, if big enough, could get national exposure!!!

20. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Sorry to bring it up, K-Dawg. :(

It just sucks to see on TV all those empty seats during the game. Before the game, I can understand it's in the process of being filled. But during and near the end, it's really sad to see that they are still empty. :(

I moved up to Dallas 4 years ago and seeing the Mavs all excited about their team really gets under my skin. :mad: My Rockets blood boils!

I want that same excitement and the same rowdy fan fever spread down to Houston so they can cheer our team onto the playoffs! :D