1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official "Dawg Pound" Fan Group Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 27, 2006.

1. K-Dawg

K-Dawg Contributing Member

I just thougth of something...this Wednesday is Guy's Night Out....it's a great discount....and you can call the Box Office and request to sit with the Rowdies/Red Alert (we need to figure this out)....

2. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

K-Dawg - I understand and recognize that y'all don't want to permanently offer discount tickets to the fans here just because they're a part of this website, and it's probably unrealistic to assume that even if you did that you'd continue to have the kind of attendance and response that you got last Friday.

However, if the discounted tickets were available on a semi-regular basis, it would give everyone around here who can't afford to go to games on a regular basis a chance to save up their pennies and put it all on the line for a good cause on a night that they know it would make a difference.

The Golden State game was brilliant because it was a must-win game against a team we were trying to pass up in the standings. (of course at this point every game is a must-win game, but you get the idea)

Chances are, and I think you know this, is that your best response is going to come from games that are discounted and that we have explicit advanced warning for.

#42 DarkHorse, Feb 27, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  3. K-Dawg

K-Dawg Contributing Member

I understand. And I'll do everything I can to offer discounts.

4. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

Quick question, kind of off topic, but why do all the t-shirts in the fourth quarter get thrown into the lower 200 dollar seats?!? I have plenty of those, so I am not complaining, just a little observation ;)

5. DarkHorse

Just quoting krosfyah on this one because this is exactly what I'm talking about. It will be difficult to sustain any the kind of response you got on Friday with an open invitation and the promise of a t-shirt. Season ticket holders on the board may want to come join in the fun, but the fact is that most people can't afford to go to games on a consistant basis like this, so the burden is on you or whoever makes these decisions to continue to generate buzz about attending.

Remember that having a group like this improves not only the atmosphere in the TC, but literally the product on the floor. If it costs the Rockets a few bucks in the way of cheaper tickets every now in then, the extra money you get in the playoffs should more than compensate.

;)

Great job, by the way, organizing this whole thing.

6. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

I was down there against the Knicks, one of the reps (Clay Allen?) rounded me and 7 other guys to bring down

I'm in 415, Row 9 seat 11

#46 Miguel, Feb 27, 2006
  7. 4Shoposite

4Shoposite Contributing Member

It's simple.

You just have to make the "Red Alert" section famous. Along with free shirts, fros, meeting players and whatnot, you have to give the section an appeal - to the point where it attracts people to pay for the tickets even if they truely can't afford it. You have to make it truely worth their well earned money. It's almost like a Green Bay Packer/ Boston Red Sox type of accomplishment to serve in this select group. Make the section well known not only among Rocket fans but nationally as an obvious advantage when we play at home. I'm talking about having the section become almost like a player in the game...This will make ESPN and other various sport networks pay attention and give it that popularity. At the end of the day, everybody wants to be famous.

Ideas:

Like, while the PA guy does starting lineups for our Rockets (And while the lights are still off) - have him shout out the Red Alert section with the stage light hitting that section (As they are going crazy of course), have red lights flashing around the building, and the firetruck sirens booming in the background. This makes sure that the section is there pumped early because they know they'll always be rewarded at the very beginning. It also makes the section seem very important (Which it is IMHO. If someone told me that the section wasn't going to be there before a game, I would be pissed. Almost as if I heard T-Mac or Yao was out...lol. I'm dead serious.) and once it's taken very seriously within the Rockets front office, others will take it serious as well.

Like previously mentioned, Jumbotron appearances. Hell, if you really want to make it important, give 'em a commercial ad or something.

8. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

K-Dawg, thanks for answering my 1st question. Hopefully in the near future, the Red Alert Rowdies can be spread not only on the sides for free throw distraction, but to the middle areas also... ;)

I know this isn't Dawg Pound related, but can you bring back the old Rockets starting lineup music theme? The one they use to play during the championship years? That just brings memories and goosebumps to the crowd....

9. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Funny you should mention it, the friend I brought with me just sent me an email saying he wants to go on Guys Night Out. I told him I'd call Brian in the morning to see if I can get the deal but sit in Sec 101.

That would be sweet.

But to repeat, this website offers something UNIQUE that allows the fans to gather momentum by sharing ideas and getting excited prior to the game. For example, last game many of us met at BUS before the game and we even talked about making Clutchfan tshirts. Basically, you made the offer BUT the website created the buzz. Simply making a generic offer to the public doesn't really create that kind of buzz. I think it'll really be to your advantage to keep Clutchfans abreast of promotional ideas for Sec 101 so we can discuss and plan PRIOR to the game. The entire experience will be better for everybody. In short, don't water it down by inviting the general public, who inevitabely won't cheer as loud. ;) At least 60% of the folks need to be from Clutchfans, at least initially, to set the mood.

10. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Just a suggestion: if you can only offer discounts and/or have this on certain games only (I know you mentioned trying to have it every game), maybe focus on nationally televised games.

11. DarkHorse

4Shoposite makes some good points. You don't have to offer discounts if the section becomes notorius to the public. If the group is special enough, you'll have people calling in saying "how can I become a part of that?".

Maybe you could get the Chronicle to run a story about the group. (without reference to discounted tickets or where the fans are coming from necessarily) I'm sure there are people in Houston not part of this website that would want to be a part of something like that.

The point is to create a buzz. When it catches on, then you change the entire atmosphere of the TC, and everyone benefits.

The quiet, boring corporate atmosphere Houston basketball is known for isn't helping anyone.

12. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

You guys should have that on the weekends..how much do those tickets usually cost?

13. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

Suggestions:

Free beer
    A winning team
    A less grumpy coach

14. smartxtai

smartxtai Contributing Member

I agree, this website created the buzz. I sure did wish the dawg pound group was gathered today against phoenix though.. the rockets need the fans support tonight. they aren't as loud as against the warriors.

15. CLFranchise

CLFranchise Contributing Member

First off, welcome! I'm surprised it took this long for someone from the Rockets to milk this awesome fanbase (well, since Tim McDougall I guess). Although he really didnt get anything started like this, so kudos to you K-Dawg. I'm gonna throw in my 2 cents...

1) "Red Alert" = cheesy..."Rocket Fuel" = more my style. We the fans are the fuel to our Rockets team. We make them go, we cheer and get them motivated to go out there and kick some ass. As others have mentioned, get t-shirts and whatever else (fros, etc.) to make us stand out and look like a huge cohesive unit. We need chants/cheers, routines for free throws (if we could do what the "Cameron crazies" do, that would rock).

2) I'm also an out of town, struggling for cash college student, finishing up my degree in Austin. The first game you did this was last Friday, I don't know if you did it today. I understand you would like to have us there every game, but truth is a lot of people can't afford tickets to every game and a lot of us can't make it out there during the week. At the same time, there are a lot of fans on this site that are in Houston and can afford tickets to every game. Maybe you could make a list of interested people, get their addresses, phone numbers, etc. Have a ticket representative working at Toyota Center call people, or my initial idea was to make a "Rocket Fuel Membership Card." Any chance any of us have to make it to a game, we go to the Box Office, flash the card, give them a credit card, get charged $___.00 (I have no idea what the seats costed, all I know is you guys that went got 30% off?), go sit in the section and go nuts. Another idea, allow cardholders to arrive early to the arena, chill in the lower bowl (to meet w/ players, talk mess to opposing team players, etc.), maybe even hit up the bar for discounted drinks.

3) Playing with the "Rocket Fuel" idea, maybe make a drink thats a knock-off of Red Bull/Pimp Juice/Rockstar, and sell it in the Rockets Shop. I know its crazy, but that would be cool...that's all I got for now... :)

#55 CLFranchise, Feb 27, 2006
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Great freaking job guys --- the Rockets need this section in a bad way. :cool:

Red Alert sounds like the best name IMH.

17. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

18. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

K-Dawg, if we can up the numbers of fans, maybe we can get 2 Rocket Fuel sections going - 1 in the lower bowl, and 1 in the upper deck. That will give more of us the option of going to the game more often.

I like being close to the court like last time, but at regular price I could obviously go to the game more often at say $40 for two instead of $100 for two. Hopefully a cheaper option would also help increase the amount of people regularly willing to go to a "Rocket Fuel" section.

19. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

welcome k-dawg!

I was out of town last friday, but will be definately will be down for the next "Red Alert" discount game. I have the tmac mini plan, so as long as it is not one of my games, I am in.

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am very happy that you guys are there making a difference. I regret that I live out of state and can't join you. But I think anything that shows rabid fan support for the Rockets is great!

You may discount my name input since I do live out of state, but I will give it anyway because I care.

I like the name Rowdies. It sounds more 'Texas' to me. It also sounds more intimidating to the other teams and a national audience. Rowdies are someone you don't want to rile up, or you know that they will reak havoc! That's the kind of thing we want. When I visit Houston and go to a Rockets game I want a chance to be a Rowdy! Rowdies take no prisoners! They steam roll into a building and let folks know how we feel about the Rockets.

Red Alert sounds like a group of fans supporting a sports team that has its equal in cities with sports franchises all over the place. That is nice and all, but I think the idea is for these fans to stand out. They need to not go for the most 'sports fan club' sounding name, and take a chance on something bold.

I think that's it. Rowdies is just more bold.