1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need some laptop advice / recommendations

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Swishh, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Swishh

Swishh Member

On Black Friday, I purchased an Asus VivoBook s500ca from TigerDirect for $480 (price after rebate)

[http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Ultrabook-S500CA-DS51T-15-6-Inch-Touchscreen/dp/B00BC4QMVE]

Anyways, it had great specs for me personally, and had everything I wanted in a laptop - 15.6 inch screen, touch screen, i5 processor, windows 8, 6gb ram, etc.

However, after using it for a few weeks, it has gotten a lot slower (i haven't even downloaded much at all) , the touch pad sucks (it always has) , and the wifi loses connectivity often.

This laptop just feels cheap even compared to my crappy budget Toshiba laptop I purchased 2 years ago (only lasted 2 years as well) for $299.

So, if there's no fix for this, which I doubt, and I fear that the quality will just go downhill from here on out, I'd like to return this laptop, and get a great laptop for around $400-$500.

touch screen used to be important to me, but i have barely used the touch screen on this laptop, so i don't need it.

Advice and recommendations for new laptops would be much appreciated.

2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Each laptop brand has its good/bad points. HP generally does well for sound, other brands are good for graphics. I just use computers for basic internet surfing. I currently use an HP, but my last 3 laptops were Toshiba. There all the same based on my purposes. They usually only last one year because I abuse them.

3. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Before you completely give up on that computer, have you done basic troubleshooting?

Updated your touchpad drivers? Either the generic ones from the touchpad manufacturer or the OEM ones?

Updated your wifi driver?

Also, i highly recommend putting an SSD in your computer. That should speed things up tremendously, an i5 chip isn't that bad.

4. Swishh

Swishh Member

I'm not very tech savy. I'd definitely prefer to keep this laptop to save myself from the hassle of returning and getting a new one.

I have not updated my wifi driver / touchpad divers - how do I do that?

I'm also not entirely sure what an SSD is. I know in the ad for this laptop, it mentioned that it came with a 24 gb SSD, but again, I'm not sure what that is.

Please advise, thanks in advance! Much appreciated.

5. Scionxa

Ah, sorry. I clicked on your link but it was dead. I fixed it, it just had an extra character at the end.

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Ultrabook-S500CA-DS51T-15-6-Inch-Touchscreen/dp/B00BC4QMVE

Looks like you do have a solid state drive but it seems to be just for the cache? I'm not sure your operating system fits on that. See if your normal RPM hard drives need to get defragmented. Hit windows button, type defrag, and you should get a result. DO NOT SELECT YOUR SOLID STATE. You'll know which one is the SSD by how small it is.

Also, go here
    http://www.service.asus.com/#!Downloads/c1wax

Enter your model number S500CA

Go down to "touchpad" and "wireless". Don't get confused by the multiple options, download the newest drivers. See if that helps!

6. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

You need to do a little basic research it sounds like since your unsure of what an SSD is, have one in your laptop, but think its slow. I agree with the other poster that troubleshooting is in order. If the machine has steadily lost performance overthe last several days you should retrace the software you've installed and the sites you've visited in case you may have picked up some malware.

1) visit the manufacturers (Asus) website, look up your hardware model, and then download the latest available drivers for your components (SSD possibly, network and graphics drivers, etc.

2) did this machine come with any virus protection? If not, find a free tool online today, install it and scan your machine. See if it picks up anything with a scan. I'm sure guys around here can point you to something else, but even just installing the free Microsoft version will be safer than nothing at all.

3) read up on configuring the Windows with msconfig which will allow you a little more granular control over what applications startup with the machine and which do not. This speed up your boot time into the OS, but it should've pretty quick already since you say you have an SSD rather than conventional platter hard disk.

4) uninstall any junk you don't need. Run through Programs & Features and have a look at what is installed. Take stock of what's installed and what you need. Remove the rest at your discretion. You should have a manufacturers accessories or install disk that has some of these pre-installed apps on the OS in case you needt reinstall them.

7. Swishh

Swishh Member

I'll take this one step at a time. First, I'll update the drivers, and then I'll look into the defrag.

Anyways, I entered my model number on the Asus website, and I found wireless. Which should I download?

here's a screenshot of the 2 options - http://prntscr.com/2e6ao7

8. Scionxa

The one that is newest. Should have a date on the bottom right. I'm not clicking that link, please use imgur if you would like for me to look at it.

Edit: I clicked on it. Okay so there appears to be two models of your computer. Go to start type in "device manager" scroll to network adapters, select the wireless one, and look for any manufacturer information. Do you see Qualcomm? Or do you see the other brand mentioned?

9. Swishh

Swishh Member

sorry, i was using lightshot extension on chrome - thats the only way i know how to screen shot.

anyways, it is qualcom, so i should d/l the qualcom one, right?

10. Swishh

Swishh Member

i assume thats a yes, so i did d/l the qualcom driver update, cool. now i'm going to d/l the touchpad driver, but i dont see that as an option. these are the options i have -

http://prntscr.com/2e6t91

thanks for your advice, will do once i sort out these driver updates.

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

While Asus is a strong manufacture, a low end laptop is a low end laptop. $500.00 is entry level.

I recently purchased this one as a work replacement for a coworker.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231378

It is an i7 quad core CPU with 8 Gigs of memory. Im not sure if it has the same touchpad. I have always hated touchpads and Ive only had one laptop with a decent one.

The caveat is that this is a refurbished laptop so it has a limited warranty. I have purchased a lot of refurbished/open box stuff and its always been in great condition.

This laptop has a international keyboard, so its layed out a bit different. It was bad enough that I ended up using a keyboard remapper to remap a couple keys.

The moral of the story is don't be afraid to shell out a couple hundred bucks more for a good quality build.

12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231433

Here is another one, a little more expensive, standard keyboard, same crappy touchpad. However, it has a stand alone video card (that is a significant difference).

Unfortunately, the return policy sucks on this one. You can only return for a replacement.

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I use to have similar type of problems. I would have to de-crapify the damn thing, add some sort of virus protection that would slow the system down, then usually something for malware and then the computer still took a lot of work to make it run the way you want. I have even had to do things like upgrade my hard drive to make it work better.

Then I bought an Apple Computer. No Malware or Virus protection. No unnecessary crap already downloaded on it. It just works. Always.

14. what

what Member

I mean you are paying 500.00 for a laptop. Windows 8 alone is 100+ in most situations.

Besides, you'd be surprised at the lack of information that computer is giving you in the specs. No mention of the motherboard. Generic graphic card, generic hd, generic memory. No mention of ps. All of these things adds up to crappy performance.

So I wouldn't exactly call what you got as GREAT specs. Not really true.

15. Swishh

Swishh Member

the point of this post was what exactly? I know it doesn't have GREAT specs, I just meant the specs were great for what I intended on doing with this laptop.

16. Scionxa

Do you have Windows 8.1? Select Windows 8, you'll then see the options for the touchpad driver.

Also. Windows+Print Screen creates a screenshot. Or you could use snipping tool

17. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

What was the price difference?

18. Swishh

Swishh Member

yes, i have windows 8.1 . i can d/l the touchpad driver by selecting windows 8 as my OS? Is that safe?

-thanks for advice on how to sceenshot, that should be easier than lightshot.

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Strange, Asus is usually on point.

20. Swishh

Swishh Member