1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need some laptop advice / recommendations

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Swishh, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Swishh

Swishh Member

Avast sounds nice, but will it have a lot of scans, updates, pop ups, and other annoyances?

And why should i download malwarebytes in addition to a third party one?

2. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Yes. The majority of free anti-virus software will do these types of things now and then. I personally use Security Essentials since I'm using Windows 7 on most of my machines with Malwarebytes.

Straight from their website:

3. Swishh

Swishh Member

Should I just use Windows Defender (which came on windows 8) and Malwarebytes? I'd rather not deal with the third party anti-virus pop-ups.

4. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Yes. Your choice, essentially (no pun intended).

5. Swishh

Swishh Member

Thanks for all of your help (as well as Inv Fan and Scionxa) , would rep if I could.

I know I said that would be my last question, but I do have one more - what causes input lag? Sometimes on twitter, i would click on someone's profile, for example, and instead of showing me their profile instantaneously, it does so after a second or so.

6. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Could be latency to their server or your DNS, could be your internet connection, could be your computer trying to process the information, could be other things.

One second is pretty average for loading things. Now if it takes 10 seconds, then you should be concerned.

7. Swishh

Swishh Member

8. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Yeah, there is no reason to download a 3rd party virus scanner. Just use Defender.

*Credentials: I've worked in IT for 15 years (though haven't done desktop support in a very long time, and miss it every once in a while) :)

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Dunno. That doesn't look like a pop-up that is coming from Windows. My guess is it's tied to some kind of Asus audio software that is running. Check your system tray for anything audio related that is running, and see if you can find a configuration section to turn that off.

10. Swishh

Swishh Member

Thanks Harrisment.

11. Swishh

Swishh Member

Well damn. I thought I fixed the wifi issue by updating the recent wifi driver, but that 'fix' only lasted 2 days. Now, I'm getting disconnected constantly like before. And before you say that it is my internet/router, then I'd like to point out that my crappy Android phone doesn't get disconnected when my laptop does.

Any other 'fixes' ? I'm thinking about returning it.

12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Drivers can make all the difference. In other words, just because one device can connect doesn't mean others will. The problem can be with the router or the device or both. Its possible replacing the router could fix your problem or replacing the device could fix your problem also.

-update the firmware for the router (what type of router is this?)
    -remove the security from the router and see if that fixes the problem
    -change the security type; eg from WPA to WPA2
    -change the channel. Use a program like InSSIDer 3 to find the least congested channel.

13. Swishh

Swishh Member

14. Swishh

Swishh Member

scratch that, it does have touch screen, and same specs as my laptop mentioned in the OP.

if i returned the laptop in the OP and bought this one, id save about $100. Should I? Looks decent enough.

15. Swishh

Swishh Member

Last bump, then i'll let this thread die.

Good Dell, toshiba, lenovo, or hp laptop for under $500?

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Except it's not available at frys anymore.

Just do your research...

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-V...ON8/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Ultrabook-S500CA-DS51T-15-6-Inch-Touchscreen/dp/B00BC4QMVE

There's a one lb difference, which is noticeable and why the ASUS calls itself an "ultrabook"

Negative review to that other laptop pretty ironic...

Goto a deal site like fatwallet or slickdeals and start boiling down laptop brands you listed in your last reply.

If that doesn't matter to you, find out what does...screen size, gfx card, backlit keyboard, battery life.

In the long run, it doesn't really matter at that price level because you're gonna have to compromise on one thing or another. What I settle on is the screen resolution because almost everything else that's important can be upgraded. Also understand that most games will look crappy and there's really no such thing as a "Gaming Laptop". 6 months later and it's crap to people who talk about Gaming Rigs...

We're not going to babysit you.

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Agree with the suggestion on the ASUS. I'd also suggest looking at Lenovos as well. The x-series are solid and relatively light. They aren't the flashiest looking (eg, they don't look like Apple clones) but after you see a few dings and scratches in that pretty AL case you will appreciate the Lenovo construction that much more.