1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need some laptop advice / recommendations

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Swishh, Dec 26, 2013.

1. what

what Member

if you were older than 16, i'd argue with you. since i know you're not, i'm not going to bother.

2. Swishh

Swishh Member

Chank- http://i.imgur.com/dAYtqXe.png

See how the last item on the list says after current status - needs optimization (23 % fragmented)

is that an issue, anything i can do - perhaps defrag that, in addition to my hdd?

3. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

You can.

Have you checked your Asus software update program for driver updates? I'm not really sure what Asus calls theirs. Those are usually more user friendly when it comes to drivers and updating them. (Haven't really used an Asus laptop but I'm pretty sure they have their own update program for drivers like most laptop manufacturers do).

4. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Sure. ;)

5. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Not sure what that drive actually is. Can you take a screenshot of your My Comptuer window? Or better yet, right-click the Windows Start Button in desktop mode and go to "Computer Management" or "Manage" (forgot what term they used for Windows 8). Then click Disk Management. This should list all disks that are detected by the OS itself. Screenshot that as well.

Should look like this: [​IMG]

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Might I suggest a Mac Pro?

[​IMG]

7. Swishh

Swishh Member

8. Invisible Fan

It seems like you know this, but to rephrase it in a different way: 24GB flash memory is good enough for placing all of the Windows 8 and Program files. That 8GB partition is either a disk image or a set allocation for Windows8.

If it's a hybrid-like setup, then his laptop already has an SSD-like configuration and the gains he'd get from upgrading to full sized solid state drive won't affect the overall performance hits he's seeing (as they're app intensive rather than data/storage intensive).

I would upgrade to a full SSD, but since the OP is a tech noob, it might be more trouble than it's worth to go through all of that installation crap even if his laptop provides a backup image.

And if he were to reformat with a new Solid State Drive, I'd put in Windows 7 professional.

To remove some doubt in this, the OP can open up device manager settings (Win7 steps...Right click "My Computer"->Preferences->Device Manager, then expand the hard drive tabs), that will show you a list of what hard drives you have rather than the partitions your machine uses (which is what those screenshots are telling you).

If they don't spell it out, right click each of them and hit properties...

9. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Hmm, not really sure what the last one is to be honest. Could be your SSD since it is readable by Windows 8 in your Disk Management screenshot. Really couldn't tell ya from the screenshots alone.

You can try downloading the software Auslogics Disk Defrag I've mentioned previously. It has a more robust and detailed interface than the one in Windows 7/8 which is pretty bare compared to it's previous Windows XP version.

Download link: http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/

I use this one personally when defragging customers' PCs. I use the Defrag and Optimize option instead of the regular Defrag option.

10. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

True regarding the SSD upgrade (the noob part, no offense :p )

However, Computer Management pretty much shows his SSD cache drive and his 500GB mechanical drive.

11. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

I'm positive his laptop only has 1 SATA3 mechanical drive and 1 MSATA SSD drive like most laptops in his class does.

12. Invisible Fan

You're right.... I checked out the amazon link he gave (which was broken). 5400rpm...is this 2006?

There's not enough info to fix this one since we don't know for sure what performance hits he's getting.

Since it's around a month, I'd send it back just because of the wifi. If the replacement has the same ass stink to it, then at least you know it's the model and not a lemon you got before.

13. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Yeah, I would return it too and get a different model or even different brand. Sometimes, a certain model lineup just has a common problem when it comes to WiFi or touchpad issues. (Like the first-gen Samsung Series 9 ultrabooks).

14. Swishh

Swishh Member

the wifi has since improved after i used scionxa's advice (updating the wifi driver)

Now your starting to confuse me Chank. Can't I manually defrag the hard drive? Why should I d/l the thing in the link you provided? If there's no difference, the why bother?

15. Invisible Fan

I would return it anyways instead of grin and bearing it. Just tell them your wifi and trackpad is screwy and you think your laptop is defective.

Chank gave you the link because the apps MS ships with windows is sometimes ass. Check out the link, read the reviews and do some research. Then install it if you feel like it.

Not really harsh advice considering the amount of trust you're putting on relative strangers...

16. Swishh

Swishh Member

Weird, chank first said i had a good laptop, now he's saying to return it :confused:

And i'd rather not deal with the hassle with returning it - i got from tiger direct, and they'd take ~$50 as a restocking fee, plus shipping.

Seems like a good laptop given my price range.

17. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Yes.

Well, for one, it's more robust than the Windows one; More options, visually more detailed when it comes to displaying information, etc, in my opinion.

Kinda like your stock car stereo. You can replace it with an aftermarket one that has more features, more choice of LED colors, AUX input, etc, etc, but essentially, they both do the same thing; Play music.

18. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Spec-wise, it's a good laptop, but you're having WiFi and touchpad issues as you stated which pretty much makes it not as usable as it should be. Or like Invisible said, you might have gotten a lemon AKA defective from the manufacturer.

19. Invisible Fan

I'd exchange it for another model at least. I don't believe in the ritual of spending 9+ hours with their tech/help line as they guide me to different driver installations. I mean, things should be up to date and ready to go once I have my hands on it.

But if you're committed to exchanging, you might have to spend those 9+ hours just to get clearance on returning the thing. Personal ****ty experience on the matter...

It also defrags faster and more efficiently. No joke

20. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Haha, I normally leave it running and come back an hour or two even if it's finish before then so I wouldn't even have notice it defragging faster. :cool: