1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need some laptop advice / recommendations

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Swishh, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Swishh

Swishh Member

the wifi issues could have been because i had an outdated driver, which i recently updated. if i continue to have issues, i will return/exchange it. I have until Jan 31, 2014, so we'll see.

And the touchpad isn't bad, it's okay i suppose. a bit off topic, but can i change the sensitivity of my keyboard to make it more sensitive so i can barely tap my buttons and still have the keyboard recognize which button im pressing?

i will if i continue to have issues, i have another month left if i decide to return it.

anyways, i d/l the auslogic that chank recommended, and defragged.

apparently i had a lot of junk files. after the defrag, i was shown this - http://imgur.com/XyTmVzY

2. Swishh

Swishh Member

mine defragged in about 25 seconds, thats weird..

3. Swishh

Swishh Member

4. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Start -> Control Panel -> Mouse -> And there should be a tab that has touchpad settings. Possibly the last one.

Just advertisement. Ignore. Download CCleaner to clean out junk files: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Install.

After it's finish, right-click your Recycle Bin and click Run CCleaner. It should remove temp, junk, and cache for you automatically in the background.

You can open the program and click "Analyze" to see what is found and what the program is going to delete. But since you're not tech saavy, I would recommend you just run it from the Recycle Bin and let it do it's thing in the background. Usually takes a minute or two to search for the files and less than a minute to remove them depending on how bloated your drive is.

I personally use this program myself.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

When I used to have a primary PC laptop, those 1-2 hours took 4-6 with MS's built in defragger.

6. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

I actually use this option when defragging with it so maybe that's why it seems longer: [​IMG]

7. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

You don't have much on your drive, that's why. Fill it up and see how long it'll take after. :)

8. Swishh

Swishh Member

Sorry, perhaps you misunderstood. What does the touchpad settings have to do with keyboard sensitivity? My description might have been bad, but what I wanted to know was if there was a way to make my keyboard more sensitive - meaning i could just tap one of my buttons and still have the keyboard register what i just inputed --well at least as close to that as possible. nevertheless, i did what you said and couldnt find this option under touchpad settings.

ccleaner is free right? i just did a google search, and someone said microsoft considers it spyware...

9. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Oh, sorry, I just read sensitivity and automatically thought of the touchpad.

This is a keyboard hardware issue and not a software issue. Different manufacturers use different keyboards so it's purely based on personal preferences when it comes to the keyboard/touchpad on laptops. It's best that you try out typing on different laptops and see which keyboard feels better for you. Touchpad as well. This is why I like going to Best Buy and just playing with the display models of the laptops I'm looking to buy to get a feel of the actual product.

Yes, free. I've been using it for years on my personal PCs and customers PCs that I've maintenance. It's not spyware, trust me.

10. Swishh

Swishh Member

so i've just got to adjust to this keyboard - no way to make it more sensitive? if so, then i will just be forced to get used to it.

and ok, i will d/l ccleaner.

btw, what exactly is your profession - i assume something with IT?

11. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

On-site/In-store Repair Technician for local computer repair shops.

12. Swishh

Swishh Member

sounds cool -

so again, no way to make keyboard slightly more sensitive?

and i just ran ccleaner, and it deleted internet history / saved passwords, which is annoying, anyway i can make sure it doesn't do that in the future?

13. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Nope, you'll just have to get used to that keyboard.

Open CCleaner, click the applications tab, find the application, uncheck whatever you don't want CCleaner to delete.

14. Swishh

Swishh Member

which of the options is making ccleaner wipe out my saved passwords? saved passwords is already unchecked, so it can't be that.

15. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Try cookies.

16. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Also Saved Form information.

17. Swishh

Swishh Member

Ok cool, thanks for all of your help Chank. Last thing is, which antivirus program should I download, that is free and doesn't spam you with update, ads, pop ups, etc.

18. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Microsoft Security Essentials, but since you have Windows 8, they've integrated into Windows Defender which is already installed. Definitions updates should also be tied into Windows Update process as well.

Most of the free third-party ones will do everything you just stated. I would suggest downloading MalwareBytes and use that to scan weekly or bi-weekly with the inclusion of Windows Defender scans.

19. Swishh

Swishh Member

So I have Windows 8 - no need to even d/l a free third party one - I'm already covered right?

20. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

It's pretty bare just like it's defrag program. You can install third-party ones if you want such as Avast!, AVG, and Karpersky to name a few. Avoid Norton and McAfee in my opinion.

But be sure to download MalwareBytes. It scans for more stuff than Defender does and is not really an anti-virus scanner like Defender. It doesn't run in the background so you will have to do manual scans. Just run those two together (not at the same time :) ) with CCleaner (run this first so the scanners don't waste time scanning junk files) and the occasional defragging, and you should be set for your maintenance routine.