1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Log Jam in the outfield

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Two Sandwiches, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

What are we going to do with the glut od young talent in the outfield? I realize it's not all major league level, but we have three outfielders that are top 100 prospects in the league, in my opinion.

Kyle Tucker
    Daz Cameron
    Derek Fisher

This doesn't account for Springer, Reddick, Marisnick, Preston Tucker, Aoki, Gurriel can play outfield, Bergman can as well.

Surely we've got to trade two of the three prospects in a deal for a front line starter, right? I'd rather keep Tucker, but he could nab the best talent.

Would your part with Tucker/Cameron and Fisher as the headline in a package for someone like Sale?

I would. It'd make is the front runners tomorrow

Cameron, Fisher, Musgrove, Reed, Paulino for Sale?

Is that enough to get it done?

Sale, Keuchel, and McCullers is just too much...

2. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

No, that's not close to enough for Sale.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Ugh. Just seeing the name Preston Tucker makes me clinch my fists.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  5. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Preston Tucker and Derek Fisher can be let go.

Rodman23 likes this.
  6. edwardc

edwardc Member

I don't see the issue depth is always a good thing these two moves today put the stros right back in the mix.

7. awc713

awc713 Member

I think a Sale trade would require something along the lines of Whitley, Tucker, Martes, Fisher, and a few decent, young, cheap MLB talents, a la Feliz, Musgrove and Reed. And that's being as conservative as I can be without giving up LMJ, Bregman, or Springer.

I mean, just look at the SP market. Sale makes 12MM, 12.5MM, and 15MM for each the next 3 seasons. That's highway robbery.

8. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

It really depends on some of the other suitors and how they set the market. If the Dodgers or Red Sox start involving Urias/Benintendi in trade talks, you have to bet it will require Bregman for the Astros to get into that discussion. But until a market precedence isn't set, it's anyones guess as to what it may cost.

Even a guy like Chris Archer who has even more team control than Sale and a cheaper contract might end up costing around the same depending on the suitors and what is being offered. Definitely going to be an interesting hot stove.

9. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

This glut you're describing isn't a thing. The only blue chip prospect in that bunch is Tucker and he's got probably > 1.5 seasons of minor league development before he'll be ready for the show.

Daz couldn't hack it in low-A, barely in A-short season and then got injured. He's more high-upside lottery ticket than top prospect to this point.

Fisher is at best a back-end top 100 guy. The guy hit .245 in double-A. No one is giving up a big package for a .245 double A hitter.

10. PhiSlammaJamma

Gattis is a logger right? Problem solved.

11. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Really? Cameron, Fisher, Musgrove, Reed, Paulino is a huge haul, a bunch of our top prospects in there. Plus Musgrove is already a proven commodity, was already a solid middle rotation guy in his first season. I see huge upside with Paulino and Reed, too.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If a package built around Musgrove, Martes, K Tucker, and Reed isn't enough for Sale or Archer then Houston needs to forget it and use those players to get another star hitter; if they can't win it with pitching they'll win it with hitting.

raining threes likes this.
  13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

There's no logjam. They have 4 OF that are guaranteed spots in Reddick, Springer, Aoki, and Marisnick. Tucker, Teoscar, Kemp, and Aplin are on the 40 man and still can be sent to AAA. Fisher and the other guys in the minors don't require 40 man spots yet and all still need more time to develop.

Certainly no problem using OF prospects to trade for big leaguers, but they're not in a position where they are forced to do anything.

LonghornFan likes this.
  14. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Log jam?
    That's like saying we had a log jam when we had bogusevic, jb shuck and Jordan schaeffer.
    If none of them are elite players it's not a log jam.

15. htownbball

htownbball Member

Look at it this way. Sale is under contract for 2017 at $12M with club options for 2018 and 2019 for under $15M each season. That kind of control is EXTREMELY valuable for a club. It essentially gives a club $10-15M extra flexibility per year since $25-30M is the going rate for a #1 pitcher these days.

In any case, a half year rental for a top flight starter usually starts with a top 50 prospect with a handful of other guys. A player with 3 years remaining will require at least 3 top 100 guys and 2 secondary guys.

I would imagine any deal will start and stop with Francis Martes and Kyle Tucker. They'd probably ask for Whitley, but we'd probably try to give them Paulino instead. Fisher and lower level top 30 guy like Stephen Wrenn would round it out. I think that's what it would take.

16. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Bregman would be a must include if they want to get Sale. The Sox have already floated that out.

17. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I think that's close to enough. Those dudes are just under team control at ridiculous value prices that the trading teams understandably want the Godfather offers.

18. Buck Turgidson

You mean: turn left, two steps forward, turn right, clinch fist, take 2 steps backwards, look over your right shoulder, run to the wall, watch ball bounce off wall, chase ball toward second base, throw ball 14 feet wide of target.

19. Nook

Nook Member

The guy cannot play first base because of depth perception problems... that is all you need to know.

20. Buck Turgidson

But he was "All Defense" in the SEC?

Why don't they "let him try it"?