1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin making the case for being a starter?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Jan 1, 2014.

1. trugoy

trugoy Member

Ever since Beverly went out with a broken hand and Lin became a starter, I've noticed that Lin has been playing by far the best defense of his career.

His offense has regressed and he is not aggressive as he was earlier in the season, but his perimeter defense is without a doubt the best on the team, it's not close at this point.

I don't think it's a co-incidence, I think Lin is actively lobbying for his starting job with an increased focus on defense to the detriment of his offense.

What do you think?

2. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Of course Lin should start.

It's as clear as how the Twin Tower experiment was doomed to fail.

But no matter how well Lin plays, our douche bag of a coach has got it in for him. Lin will never start over Bev while McHale is the coach and will continue to be under utilized and utilized incorrect.

Best for everyone if we just trade Lin.

3. FTW

FTW Member

starter? with McFail as head coach? no chance. remember, Bev "fits" better with Haren.

4. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

let the circle jerk commence

oh wait, it already has

3 people like this.
  5. willus

willus Member

He's always been a capable defender, he just gambles a lot.
    He likes to help on defense and get the steal instead of sticking to his own man. Normally leading to easy 3 or penetration.

6. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

Brooks is the better candidate to start IMO,

Lin is playing very inconsistently with many average or even bad performances since bev went out

Lin is a more willing passer though, so he should fit better but I don't think he is demonstrating starting qualities at this point

7. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Lin should start, depending on the matchup. Either way, Lin, Beverley, and Brooks need to watch old film on Kenny Smith/Sam Cassell/Scott Brooks in '94 and emulate that.

8. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

:eek: I don't see Lin is playing very inconsistently like you said. Lin is for sure a starting quality point guard that can start in any team in this league.

9. Karolik

Karolik Member

I think he has outperformed Beverley.... Barely. If he actually hit his shots it wouldn't be close. I think who starts doesn't matter until Mchale either becomes a better coach , not likely or players give more effort on defense and start trusting each other on offense where the latter is more likely

10. langal

langal Contributing Member

bad new years?

11. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

All our perimeter players do that. At this point, I'm certain that is what the coach told them to do.

Lin has been great on defense. He just needs to find his 3s, then he should be a lock in starting line up. Important part is he has cut down his TOs. He still makes a few bone head mistakes but it wasn't as bad as before, mostly due to he is less forced to set up his teammates.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

He happens to be right.

Yet another thread for aggrieved Lin fans to vent. Even after he got torched last night.

13. chandlerbang21

The bench has no scoring or leadership. Keep him on the bench because starting wont determine anything

14. linbandwagon

linbandwagon Member

In which world is holding your matchup to 35% shooting "torched". But nevermind, i'm an aggrieved Lin fan, so facts dont matter.

15. muas2010

muas2010 Member

Let me have some of that good new year stuff. Only in the minds of the puffed up would 6/17 for 17 points be considered torched. Try 7/10 for 14 points......if the former is considered torching then the latter would mean death?

16. KKick

KKick Member

How'd he get torched? IT went 6-17.

17. ryebread

ryebread Member

didn't see him getting torched. not good defense though. i would say average defense. slightly above average first half, slightly below average second half. Lin was running into multiple screens all night. and Boogie sets a pretty solid screen. it wasn't like IT was blowing by Lin (with the exception of a few possessions) the same way Jimmer was blowing by AB (on multiple occasions).

18. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

Lin's been playing well all season. His offense didn't regress, if anything he picked up where he left off before his 3 week knee/back injury. I don't think he's actively seeking his former starting job (although being eminently suitable for it). Once Bev returns, Lin will likely be 6th man again. Regardless, the decision isn't his, it's McHale's.

Even if the coaching staff wanted Bev to come off the bench, they wouldn't be comfortable doing it. His ability to help the second unit is very limited. McHale likes Bev since he brings "energy" and "pop" (lol) but unfortunately there isn't much more than that.

19. bws

bws Member

Hope less Harden and more Bev/Lin combo when Bev comes back. While Lin may be undersized to guard some 2s at least Bev and Lin really bust their butts on defense. Bev/Lin combo shows team work on offense too. Reduce both Harden's minutes and the teams dependence on him and that may mean Bev, Lin and others not always giving him the ball when he demands and going through Dwight or Parsons. Brooks tend to dribble on his own and try to make his own thing happen and not look to always give it to Harden. I kind of like that about him. Also Brooks should get some minutes, no more DNPs from him.

20. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

There is really no case to be made. The Rockets seems to be the only team that would start Beverly instead of Lin so obviously they have some other reason aside from just skill.

If AB was younger then I would agree.