1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Jordan/Bulls Documentary] 'The Last Dance'

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Apr 16, 2020.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The emphasis was on the religion thing because obviously ppl also do damage in the name of religion or religious artifacts but that belongs somewhere else.

Glad both found their path.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

I was just saying that the Ali story has already been told. I want the Hakeem story to be told.

I'm not a religious person, but I respect anyone that uses it to make positive changes in their life, and the lives around them.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

As you said before Hakeem is a private person, he likely won't be open to having film crews around him all week.

You were right. Maybe if he gets really old.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

"Rod Thorn called me. I said, ‘Rod, I won’t play if Isiah Thomas is on the team.' He assured me. He said, 'You know what? Chuck [Charles Barkley] doesn’t want Isiah. So, Isiah is not going to be part of the team.'"

xiki likes this.
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

what did barkley have against isaiah?

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

He...lied? I'm shocked. Shocked, I say.

BigM, DreamShook and J.R. like this.
  7. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

The bulls pacers 98 series was toughest series of all time. The Reggie miller game 4 buzzer beat was fire. The Travis Best game winning drive was clutch in game 6. The Scottie pippen drive with the foul in game 7 was clutch. Kukoc dropped 21 in game 7 after pacers double team Jordan the whole game.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

One of the most enjoyable non-Rockets series of all time for me.

9. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Kukoc dropped 21 in game 7 like a Vegas game of black jack.

Kukoc had 21 waiting on ya if ya felt lucky like dirty Harry!

Kukoc was the card dealer against pacers in 98.

10. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

According to the Dream Team book, Charles said if Isiah was on the team, he was the only one that would room with him. Magic's falling out is well-documented. Bird was also on bad terms with the Pistons...

Malone didn't take it kindly how the Pistons 'retaliated' for Stockton being picked. And when Stockton got hurt in practice, they would only consider Joe Dumars, not Isiah.

Reference:

Jontro likes this.
  11. Jontro

Jontro Member

so basically everyone didn't want isaiah, but they put it on jordan for some reason?

also didn't realize all olympics athletes have roommates. how do you do teh secks if you have a roommate right next to you? unless it's a massive orgy everyday.

12. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Pippen got foul calls just so that longley could get assist numbers.

Pippen was dunking all over the pacers in game 3. The early alley oop from longley. Pippen had that dunk over Travis best on a fast break. Longley made a pass baseline to pippen for a jam. The pippen dunk late in fourth with less than 30 seconds after the dirty foul on miller.

#452 smoothie_king, May 26, 2020
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
  13. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Jordan has always been very subtle and shrewd. This documentary does not even discuss the impact of the impending 1998 nba strike /lockout on the bulls and the overall nba.

Pippen was unable to meet with the bulls owner because nba owners had executed a pre-lock out on players as early as 1997.

The pre-lockout is what the bulls owner meant when he said "doesn't matter if bulls go 82-0".

14. JW86

JW86 Member

Damn, disappointed in the amount of lies MJ has told and how he has used this documentary only for his own benefit and image.

Jontro likes this.
  15. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

It's funny, because while this series definitely glorified his accomplishments, it also burnished his image as a petty jerk, and a borderline sociopath. So, despite his intentions, it was actually pretty revealing.

It was interesting to watch a guy who is so intent on lying about petty things like his hangover/flu game 20+ years later, and who alienated all his peers to the point his only close friends are his personal assistants and bodyguards. It was a little sad to see that level of fame makes it impossible to have normal friends.

daywalker02 likes this.
  16. JW86

JW86 Member

I think the documentary itself actually is not that revealing nor showing MJ being a dick they describe him as. It’s more the stories that have come out as a consequence of it. I do agree for sure with the last part and that’s something he definitely wanted us to see, that his life was not that great, really a victim which is true to a degree. That scene in the hotel was a good example of it, was a genuine moment.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sorry but what is wrong with having body guards and personnel as friends and confidantes?

I think it was touching that he paid the man a visit when he had chemo and went visit him at his house.

He probably treated the game as war and after combat needed people outside the league for emotional comfort.

Those teammates are not paid to be his friends but help him win games and championships.

From what I gathered, he needed an older father figure after his dad died.

#457 daywalker02, May 29, 2020
    Last edited: May 29, 2020
  18. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Sorry, I did not mean to imply there was anything wrong with being friendly with his bodyguard, and that story was indeed touching. My point was more that by the end (1998 season), it seemed the only people he remained close to were people on his payroll, such as Gus Lett, Tim Grover, and George Koehler. This is partly, I think, the result of the inherent loneliness of being THAT famous. But I think it is also a result of him alienating his peers over the years.

daywalker02 likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I agree but I think guys overrate those things.

Emotionally he was a loner for sure.

Imagine all the inner demons he had to deal with.

I also wish he could grab the phone and hit up old Chuck, bury the hatchet.

He had people like Iverson or Kobe being dear to him and younger guys coming to him for advice.

#459 daywalker02, May 29, 2020
    Last edited: May 29, 2020
    Patience likes this.
  20. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Just watched the episode that aired on ABC this afternoon... Scottie Pippen whines more than Derek Fisher off of a flop.