1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Jordan/Bulls Documentary] 'The Last Dance'

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Apr 16, 2020.

1. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

The bulls got all of the calls. It would be devastating to the other team that bulls role players would get continuation or bucket plus the foul. Jordan was tough yet bulls role players got all the calls.

It would be messed up for other team getting their role players into foul trouble.
    The Scottie pippen continuation bucket plus the foul on Antonio Davis for his 6th foul under 2 minutes in game 7 in 1998.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

So what does the lie cover up? A hangover? Stayed up all night in Vegas?

The pizza guy confirmed that he and another person delivered the pizza and saw Jordan. He denies poisoning it, but it could have just been bad ingredients. I've ate bad pizza before.

The worst thing would be that he faked it all. :eek:

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Smith isn't the most truthful here too, they had some legal run-ins because his 'Jordan rules' book.

Said MJ had a gambling addiction which Jordan countered was only competitive gambling streak or hobby.

There are some resentments here on both sides.

I would have gladly welcomed a new source.

#424 daywalker02, May 23, 2020
    Last edited: May 23, 2020
    Patience likes this.
  5. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Yeah, I re-read Sam Smith’s The Jordan Rules a few weeks ago. It definitely has a “Based on a True Story” feel to it as well.

daywalker02 likes this.
  6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Or he had a mix of bad food plus a massive hangover from excessive drinking in altitude... a rumor that has never been explicitly denied. Of course the other rumor is that he did truly go to Vegas and came back late, but there would have been at least one eye-witness if that was truly the case.

7. Caesar

Caesar Member

I always took pride when Michael gave Hakeem the highest amount of respect in which he rarely does for anyone, and i just randomly came across something he said when he was in Paris in January which i somehow completely missed.
    On James Harden:

“I think all records are a sense of pride for the work that you put into the game. So yeah, I’m happy to have it. I’m happy to have it because I think it showcases actually how much you practiced and the effort that I put into it. I think what you are seeing in James Harden is the same thing,” Michael Jordan explained. “He’s not doing this off the whim. It’s something that he’s worked at and he’s perfected to the point where the results are starting to show.

“The game itself is a fun game to watch. A lot more threes. I think the European players have expanded the style of basketball because of the versatility that they have brought to the game which I think is good for the league, which has increased in scoring. So I think it’s just going to keep getting better, and it forces us as Americans how to play a much more rounded basketball game. That’s what the European players have taught us as individuals in the states.”

James said recently he's studying The Last Dance documentary. I wonder if he knows just how rare it is for MJ to bring up another superstar in a complimentary way. I know MJ loves the intensity with which Russell plays as well. Makes me wonder if MJ watches a lot of Rockets games these days. Hopefully James and Russ both come away with vocal leadership which involves never asking a teammate anything they wouldn't do themselves which includes intensity and effort on defense.

JumpMan likes this.
  8. Caesar

Caesar Member

It's widely known MJ could stay up all day and night, training, golfing, gambling, etc including stories of him drinking 10 beers on a 2nd round of golf and still scoring 50 the same night. Of all his career games, and rarely missing any games, and record of not scoring under 20pts, the one time he's obviously sick in an NBA game which happens to be the biggest stage, is up for conspiracy theories? I'm sure he's gotten drunk a night before a game in Denver too and not his first time in Salt Lake City. Not buying the altitude theory. I got completely hammered in Denver like 3 days in a row and drove back to Houston the next morning feeling fine, though i was early 20s. None of those hangovers were anything different than i've experienced which includes 2 cities in the top 10 highest capital cities in the world.

I personally don't care. He was already known to do whatever he wants and still have the energy to be GOAT level night in and night out and always come out on top. That's different from say-a James Harden who has his huge playoff game blunders with rumors of staying out all night. James can slap stacks on big booty hoes all night long as long as he comes with it and pulls out the W's when it counts.

Who can ball with that massive of a hangover though? He was 34 years old. By 30, i couldn't function on hangovers anymore. In my mid 30s, i feel hungover for 2, sometimes 3 days. To perform without vomiting and to perform at that level. Who cares? Impressive any way you spin it. But, i don't buy it. His teammates wouldn't have had any sympathy for him. Scottie holding him as he was collapsing into his arms. Other teammates and staff caring for him on the sidelines and making sure he's okay, etc.

JumpMan likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Caesar likes this.
  10. Caesar

Caesar Member

NBA steady putting together the best highlight reels for players since that Larry Bird ultimate mixtape. IIRC, they hired some dude who used to do youtube highlight reels

JumpMan likes this.
  11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

when is this coming to netflix? need to tell my kids that this is the only mentality acceptable in my house.

12. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

The media always gave Jordan credit yet it was referees that gave benefit of doubt to bulls role players.

It was mistake to focus only on Jordan because pippen went to four straight playoffs without Jordan for Houston and portland (99-03). Kukoc was best international player too.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They already had the Last Dance footage of 1998 and then just edited some older ones into it all.

Of course it was Jordan and Rodman heavy, all journalists wanted to film them back then.

14. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

The media pressure was towards Jordan yet the refs bailed out bulls role players like pippen and Harper.

Kerr and kukoc were smart enough find open looks for game winners yet pippen got lucky calls with the bulls and not necessarily with Portland.

15. Buck Turgidson

Who wants to write/produce/direct the 30-for-30 about Hakeem?

It's a great story: from a soccer player in Nigeria, to UH and Phi Slamma Jamma, to being a hothead who loved to fight, who then found a calming religion, who became a champion.

The first international-born superstar, opened up Africa to so many other players. It would be a great documentary.

Not sure he'd go for it though, you'd have to have interviews with him to make it work.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The calming religion could also be said about Cassius Clay turning Ali.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

That's already been done, his story.

daywalker02 likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Are you trying to tell me this is not a good story to tell?

19. choujie

choujie Member

I have to laugh when they say Lebron is the best all around player. Both Hakeem and Jordan are better all around players. The only thing Lebron over these two guys is passing, and not by much. Jordan and Hakeem were better than Lebron in so many other categories. Defensive wise, Lebron is not even close.

20. Buck Turgidson

Apropos of nothing:

daywalker02 likes this.