1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Granato leaving?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by conquistador#11, Apr 24, 2007.

1. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Leave my 99.1 out of your MOUTH!! :mad:

J/K

2. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Noted. John is a friend and I confess to being a little sensitive.

Enjoy your night, and I meant nothing by the specific nature of the station.

Most importantly....

go rox :)

3. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

Chalked up to a miscommunication of sarcasm.

And I like Granato plenty where he is now - I just have my own opinion, like I do with what Palillo did, of how money, egos, and intractable management can mess up a good thing.

I should have remembered your stint on 610 and your friendships over there and been more diplomatic about it though.

Since he's your friend, tell him not to ditch Lance! They're a good team!

And yes, Go Rockets!

4. Robert Snyder

Robert Snyder Contributing Member

There is a rumor that Houston might get a 4th sports station on 1560AM (KILE-AM). Supposedly, one of 610's big sales gurus will be the General Manager.

5. conquistador#11

You were great on TV tuesdays :) with Mark V,just thought i would mention that.

6. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

Matt and Lance has worked well when John was on vacation. But that might put a dent in Matt's lifestyle, lol.

Granato has so many things going on with FOXSW and seems to always get side jobs like the tennis coverage. He works alot so maybe he found something he likes more than morning radio.

BTW, I wondered what Rich was talking about today on the afternoon show when he said he hoped "no one sues the station today". In hindsight that was really crappy to say about a serious issue affecting the station.

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I like john, but I dont care for lance

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

John leaving would be a shame. Despite all their well documented flaws (too much emphasis on SEC football, Astros, and gambling, Lance's WEAK attempts at being a comedian, etc. ) I still really like John and Lance in the morning. Those guys are greater than the sum of their parts.

I met John at a Texans function and he was totally laid back. Super nice guy. No ego at all, so it's hard for me to imagine that this has anything to do with his "ego".

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

That would be a mistake. Houston just isn't a big sports radio town and a 4th station would be too much. For that matter, a 3rd station (97.5) was probably too much. If this happens and Granato is the lead guy, it will fail, guaranteed. If CP can't make 790 successful, Granato trying it on another station will be much worse.

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

It's fairly clear something is going on in the background for this to be happening.
    97.5 - not a lot of sense, given the limited slots. I highly doubt they'd be offering much cash to bump up the local side of a nationally-focused station.

790 - could be that they're pulling the plug on D&D, but I don't have a clue what their ratings are. I just know that I was done by the time they announced the team. His (the one from NY) auditions were abhorrent. "I don't know if this has ever been talked about here in Houston....but I wonder if Craig Biggio would make the Hall of Fame. Have you ever thought about that?" Click. Done.

Possible New Station - would make sense that they try and steal a known guy as their poster boy, but I agree that the prospects of a 4th station in Houston are dubious. Not to say the rumor is or isn't legit.

Evan

11. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

I agree with the 790 part. That show is horrid. I have no idea what they are trying to do. They have their Hollywood report, they spend entire mornings talking about midgets, Survivor, the marriage problems they are having, fridges, etc. It is so misguided and just everywhere that it is crap. Dukes is great by himself so I have to blame it all on Davies. Then Davies' takes seem to be in conflict with everyone else which makes me think that is just part of his 'appeal'. That show needs a serious overhaul.

12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

who else will put up with lance's constant throat clearing and his excessive talking, especially over guests.

ex) John : "so CD, what are some of your favorite moments with the rockets"

CD: "well, you know..."

Lance: "i think CD would say.."

John: "will you let CD answer for himself"

13. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

I hope you guys fcan appreciate that I am not at liberty to dicuss what is going on. I am so sorry, I know everyone is curious. I do enjoy reading the posts though and at the appropriate time I will give up what I can.

On an unrelated note...vote for my Jingles for Pringles jingle...'The United States of Pringles'. You have to register but its easy. Me and Frank are national finalists and I am begging for votes.

14. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Do you guys really think it's a coincidence that this is going down just as Rosie O'Donnell announced her departure from The View today? I think not.

Look for Granato to be sitting next to Barbara Walters and company in the very near future.

15. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

I am a huge fan of the show, I have listened since they came on the air and while I think they are both great together I am not sure I know how a show with either one by themselves would do.

I think both could do well with one of the night guys but Lance MUST have someone who can interview because that is his weak area. John has trouble by himself without a guest because his sense of humor plays off the other person.

Well I hope they stay together, I think it's the most entertaining sports show I have heard anywhere despite both of them being flaming homers.

16. Rulow00

Rulow00 Member

John is just tired being Lance's side kick on the morning show. John wants to make a name for himself and make more money. I really don't care about the morning show because I get tired of listening to Lance impressions. I prefer listening to Matt and Adam in the evenings.

17. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

DOO DAH DOO DOO

18. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I guess he really is leaving today, or so it seems the way he is talking.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Well if he goes to 790
    then they could get rid of Davis or is it Dukes
    iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii . . mean . . his liiiiiiiiiiiiiiitle . . .
    no exactly a stutter . . but he just seems to struggle to get the words
    out and it is Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiratating

Rocket River

20. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Where did Lance disappear to this morning?