1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Granato leaving?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by conquistador#11, Apr 24, 2007.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

what did he say...i just missed the end of the show.

and where was lance today?

all things must end, i guess. if that's the end, lance and john had a helluva run. i remember listening to them their very first day. they've been on the air for roughly 10 years in that time slot together. that's pretty remarkable.

2. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

I wanna see Lance paired with McClain and Anna-Megan Raley...

...and Granato with Palillo in the pm. Charlie conversing with some of those afternoon callers just seem awkward. He needs a shill.

I like DeLuca and Lopez. Maybe they get moved to mornings.

MattjAdam need to stay on the Late show.

3. MadMax

BTW...The Supreme Court of Texas issued a ruling recently that heightened the likelihood that future non-competes will be enforceable. The history of these things is that they were very rarely enforceable...but that's changed big time over the last 5 years or so...and it's changed even more so in that regard since that decision.

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

He kept talking about the promos sayin like, "If you need a job, like I will soon, call (whoever he was talkin about)."

He said he was lookin for a new job about 20 times for the 10 minutes I listened this morning

5. MadMax

did he say goodbye to the listeners?

6. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Blech.

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he made a comment like... Lance isnt even here to say goodbye

8. MadMax

wow...that's it, then, i guess.

9. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

i was doing some other stuff so i wasnt paying full attention. might want someone else to confirm

10. TRIQSTER

TRIQSTER Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4745965.html

April 25, 2007, 8:53AM
    Granato sues KILT parent company

By DAVID BARRON
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

KILT (610 AM) talk show host John Granato has filed suit against the station's parent corporation, asking a state district judge to dissolve his contract and to prevent KILT from enforcing a non-compete clause that would prevent him from immediate on-air work at another Houston station.

Granato, who has worked for the CBS Radio station since 1997 and co-hosts its morning drive-time talk show, filed the request for a declaratory judgment against CBS Radio late last week. The case has been assigned to Judge Jennifer Walker Elrod's 190th state District Court.

In the lawsuit, Granato claims CBS failed to pay him for appearances and for new advertising he acquired for the station, violating a contract he signed in 2005 that continues through Nov. 30. His attorney, Terry Yates, said Granato is owed several thousand dollars by the station.

Yates asks the court to declare that KILT breached Granato's contract and to declare as unenforceable the non-compete provision of the agreement, which would prevent Granato from working on the air for another radio station within a 50-mile radius of Houston for six months after leaving KILT.

Granato also claims the non-compete is invalid because he worked without a contract for eight years before signing his current agreement, which began Dec. 1, 2004, and has not been given additional benefits by KILT in return for the non-compete clause, as required by state law.

CBS Radio had not been served as of Monday afternoon with the complaint, and station officials had no comment on the case.

Granato is the second KILT talk show host in recent years to ask a Houston judge to vacate a non-compete clause.

In December 2004, state District Judge Randy Wilson ruled that KILT could not enforce a non-compete clause against Charlie Pallilo, who had left KILT for newly launched KBME (790 AM).

Wilson said the non-compete in Pallilo's contract, which had expired in September 2004, was invalid because KILT had not given Pallilo specific compensation in return.

"We are encouraged that the court ruled in favor of Mr. Pallilo in that case and that his case was resolved short of appeal," Yates said.

Yates said that while Granato is seeking an immediate end to his contract, he is prepared to remain on the job until the agreement expires. However, Granato "doesn't want to be restricted where he can go to work" after leaving KILT, he said.

He said Granato believes he can continue doing his job while the case is pending.

11. MadMax

I haven't seen Granato's contract, so I have no idea how the provision regarding the non-compete reads. And generally, these guys are signing contracts for no more than a 3 year term...so I have no idea if SportsRadio 610 has learned its lesson from the Pallilo situation, and had lawyers draw up a tighter document. I can tell you just in the 7 years I've been practicing that I've seen a huge change in how these agreements are treated in the courtroom. Here's what recently changed in the law:

http://www.gdhm.com/the_firm/news/article/?ID=77

The Texas Supreme Court changed the law in its October 20, 2006 opinion in Alex Sheshunoff Management Services v. Johnson, by holding that non-compete covenants in at-will employment are enforceable if the employer provides confidential information or training to the employee at any time during employment in accordance with the promises in its employment contract. The Court emphasized that its prior decision in Light had created “overly technical disputes,” and that the core question of a non-compete covenant’s enforceability is the reasonableness of its restrictions on the employee. The Court then found the non-compete covenant in the Sheshunoff case to be a reasonable one.

As a result of this decision, employers will now be more readily able to protect confidential information and good will through enforcement of non-compete covenants. Texas employers and employees should review non-compete covenants in their at-will employment contracts in light of this new development.

12. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

The entire show he was making comments like today was the last day he would be there. Most of it was tongue in cheek but how hard he kept hitting that point, it seemed like it is a possibility.

13. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

yeah. sort of reminded me of walton and johnson when they left houston a couple years ago and the next day they were a spanish station. Talk about a WTF!!! moment.

14. conquistador#11

I loved his sense of humour about the whole thing.Classy guy all around.
    The morning crew was the first show in H-town to raise money for Katrina victims :),a man of the people for sure.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

First, Stevens and Pruitt, then Phil Hendrie, now this?

XM radio is looking better and better right about now.

16. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

my sirius is looking better and better

17. MadMax

i still need my local sports radio fix.

it will be interesting to see what 610 does with the morning show.

18. SupermanSK

SupermanSK Contributing Member

Dave Harbison!!! :eek: NOOOOOO

19. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

man, it's been close to 2 years since I've lived in HTown. The only person on 610 that bothers me is the guy with the deep, kind of slurred voice. Is that John?

I know I'm not talking about Mark V or Adam and Matt...

Man, I miss 610. LOVE that station

20. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Get Sirius, go to channel 100...you'll never even miss the local jocks.

BABABOOOOEY!!!