1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

J.J. Redick Anyone?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Someguy1229, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

Redick is having a career year in pretty much every statistical category. He is doing it pretty efficiently too. http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3024/jj-redick

The Magic reportedly want a young talent on a rookie contract and some draft picks. I'm not sure how he would affect our salary cap but I think he would be a perfect fit here because he can spread the floor with his sharpshooting and can also pass really well.

2. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I think Fredette might be a better fit. Redick's value is at an all time high, excluding draft day. Jimmer would be cheaper, and has better handles. He still might be a bust, but I think he'll end up a lot like Redick.

3. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

No way we would offer more than Minny will.

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

but fredette is really really bad, i feel bad watching him struggle

6. teebone21

teebone21 Member

Hell yeah jj would be,nice to have! Elite shooters are hard to find and we dont have any

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This isn't thread worthy, everybody's been talking about redick for the last month and have already beaten the topic dead.

8. Spooner

Spooner Member

I know the pacers and celtics are after him but magic aren't interested in their pieces. I wander if we could ship redick over in a package for granger.

9. teebone21

teebone21 Member

we not paying granger max so no way. Hold our cap for the future. This is a season to develop chemistry

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Hell the **** no.

11. Goat Herders

Goat Herders Member

Would be a nice get.

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I like Reddick alot actually. I think he is a long term piece, in place of Delfino, but I think he is an "over the cap" piece, which is to say I would not add him and his salary until after we have used our cap space on another big time player this offseason.

If however, he was cap neutral, IE you moved a guy like Jeremy Lin for him, I would do that.

13. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Redick would be a nice inexpensive add. Really would up grade the bench.

14. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

15. rogower

rogower Member

It should be obvious to all Rockets (and NBA) fans that a team in Houston's position is not remotely interested in trading away picks and/or prospects for a veteran role player such as J.J. Redick (a very good veteran role player, but still, a veteran role player) but apparently it's not, for whatever reason.

I do think that it's possible that Houston emerges as a third wheel in a Redick trade, however, as Houston has a fair amount of unused cap space. In this scenario, Orlando reduces its 2012-13 payroll and gets back a halfway decent prospect or draft pick from Mystery Team; Mystery Team gets Redick; and Houston gets something it wants. For example:

J.J. Redick and either Marcus Morris, Donatas Motiejunas, or Terrence Jones to Utah

Alec Burks to Orlando

Paul Millsap to Houston

Utah upgrades at SG (from Randy Foye to J.J. Redick) this season and gets something relatively valuable (either Morris, Motiejunas, or Jones) for this season and beyond in exchange for Millsap (versus getting nothing at all in the event that he walks in free agency this summer). They are giving up Burks but they don't seem that thrilled about Burks at this point. Derrick Favors is presumably promoted to starter, and either Morris, Motiejunas, or Jones (whoever Utah gets here) inherits Favors' spot in the rotation. Utah's four-man big man rotation goes from Millsap-Favors-Al Jefferson-Enes Kanter to Favors-Jefferson-Kanter-Morris/Motiejunas/Jones. My guess is that Utah will push for Motiejunas, and that Houston will push for Morris or Jones. If Houston is fairly confident that it will be able to sign away Millsap this summer, and if it likes Motiejunas enough, it probably makes sense for Houston to just stand pat and sign Millsap this summer. As you can see, Houston has very strong leverage here and can make a "Take it or Leave it" offer to Utah. Unless Utah plans on re-signing Millsap to an extension, or can find a better package out there for Millsap, Utah really should relent and accept Morris or Jones over Motiejunas.

Orlando gets Burks, a 21-year-old second-year player who was the #12 overall pick in the 2011 draft. Which is better than nothing, which is what they get for Redick if/when he walks in free agency this summer.

Houston gets their guy in Millsap and gives up an expendable piece in either Morris, Motiejunas, or Jones. Obviously their intent would be to re-sign Millsap to an extension.

But no, Houston fans should understand that Morey is not going to be interested in giving up an asset for a veteran role player who will be 29 years old this summer. Redick is a pretty sure bet to get overpaid by some idiot this summer in free agency and that idiot will not be Houston. It probably won't be Utah, either.

1 person likes this.
  16. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

Here's a video of some of the things that he can do for those who haven't watched him much lately:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/c3rPjjQC-6A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He can run the floor well, drive and finish, drive and pass, pass in general pretty good, come off screens and shoot, get shots for himself, and knows how to space the floor with his 3 point ability. This is a Morey type of player in my opinion.

17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Whose better looking, Chandler or redick

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

We don't need him. Why give anything of value for a backup 2 guard who is gonna play 15 mins a game at most?

Unless you want him to replace Lin which is okay.

19. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Any team would love to have a J.J. Redick. His value is at an all time high right now though. I'll be content if we can get a much cheaper Jimmer Fredette, he needs to get out of Sacramento. He would fit in what we're trying to build here in Houston.

20. rogower

rogower Member

Houston is a well-managed team. Well-managed teams don't want to pay approximately $3 mil/year for a backup, at least not a backup with no perceived upside. Jimmer Fredette is, at best, a backup, and I'm not seeing the upside. Jimmer Fredette makes $2.6 mil in 2013-14 and $3.3 mil in 2014-15. Meanwhile, Patrick Beverly likely provides at least as much value as Fredette, and Beverly makes less than $1 mil/year. I'd say there is a 0% chance that Daryl Morey will have any interest whatsoever in trading for Fredette, especially if Sacramento expects to receive anything remotely valuable for Fredette. Sacramento's roster is a total disaster and when this team finally gets sold, the very first order of business will be to fire the management team that assembled this roster.

As for Redick: sure, any team would love to have Redick, and Redick would be helpful for any team. The point is that no well-managed team that is trying to build something special (such as Houston) is interested in giving up a valuable asset for a two- or three-month rental of a role player in his late twenties. If Houston could get him for basically nothing (e.g., either Toney Douglas or Cole Aldrich), sure, but Orlando can and will be able to get more than that for Redick from somebody.