1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

J.J. Redick Anyone?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Someguy1229, Jan 26, 2013.

1. eman

eman Contributing Member

The more I think about him, the more I want him. (In Rocket red, that is, my dear perverts.) Runs well, great spacer, would be consistent hustle and scoring off the bench, has the most beautiful pure J... What's not to love?

Oh yeah, I forgot: it always comes down to money.

2. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

It's not 6M, it's potentially up to 13.5M per year. The 6M contract expires at the end of this season. He's unrestricted this summer.

3. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

This. With Redick we'd have a helluva 3 guard rotation and would be able to ensure that Lin and Harden are on the floor less than they are currently. Redick has improved his ball handling and playmaking skills to the point where he'd fit well with both Lin and Harden, and we could even play all three at the same time in a small ball lineup. I really like the idea, but not enough to give up something major (assets or in terms of a crazy FA contract).

4. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

Cause Luther Head could pass and also drive to the basket and finish, right? :rolleyes:

5. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

yep. magic are totally gonna send us their main scoring threat for a bunch of our scrubs.

love this place.

redick has 19points in the first 14 minutes of play today.

6. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

They've done that already. Got a bunch of scrubs for their main guy.

7. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

Arron Afflalo = Dwight Howard?

8. rogower

rogower Member

As I believe Daryl Morey would also like to unload Patrick Patterson's $3.1 mil 2013-14 salary from the payroll, I'll tweak my three-team trade idea here:

J.J. Redick and either Marcus Morris, Donatas Motiejunas, or Terrence Jones to Utah

Patrick Patterson and Alec Burks to Orlando

Paul Millsap and Josh McRoberts (expiring contract) to Houston

Please stop proposing Redick-to-Houston trades, guys. Why isn't it obvious that the Rockets are not interested in trading away a valuable asset for a two- or three-month rental of a role player in his late twenties who is a sure bet to be grossly overpaid in free agency this summer? 0% chance that this happens. But, again, I can see Houston getting involved here as the third wheel if they can get something they want, like Millsap.

9. dragonz

dragonz Member

Annnnnnnd, Millsap is not a "two- or three-month rental of a role player in his late twenties who is a sure bet to be grossly overpaid in free agency this summer?"

10. rogower

rogower Member

Millsap is a very good player who is highly undervalued by most teams and highly underrated by fans/media, as some folks on this board have attempted to explain at various points over the past couple of months. So no, he's not going to be grossly overpaid, although yes, the perception will be that he has been grossly overpaid. Conversely, the perception will likely be that the four year, $24 mil deal that Redick gets (and who knows, he may get more) will be a good investment, but the reality will be that teams can find players on the scrap heap who could put up comparable production. Houston found Carlos Delfino on the scrap heap and Delfino has been a better player than Redick has this season, for example. The Clippers found Matt Barnes on the scrap heap and he's been a better player than Redick. Atlanta plucked Kyle Korver away from Chicago for next to nothing and Korver has been a better player than Redick. Golden State plucked Jarrett Jack away from New Orleans for next to nothing and Jack has been a comparable player to Redick. Whereas you don't really see good PFs and Cs on the scrap heap. Maybe J.J. Hickson qualifies. Or Reggie Evans. But that's about it.

11. dragonz

dragonz Member

with all those youth and talent and cap space, I hope the Rockets not just for "better than scrap heap" here.
    Millsap is not gona be undervalued once the free agency hits, and if Rockets try to sign him, he will be a hard to move piece if things don't pan out.
    I don't think Rockets need Redick or Millsap. I rather let our young guys develop than winning a few more games this season.

12. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

Redick has been better than all of those players that you named. Don't get ahead of yourself man.

13. IronicMan

IronicMan Member

Vucevic?

And anyway, what are you going to do when Redick become an unrestricted free agent after this season if you trade for him? I thought we're saving up the cap space to get a legit superstar.

14. teebone21

teebone21 Member

Tony and carlos may be leaving they need to be replaced

15. hocash

hocash Contributing Member

Parsons shoots 36% from 3 point land despite normally being wide open due to Harden/Lin penetration. Redick is shooting 41% this season with no Dwight Howard to make things easier.
    I would say Redick fits the way we play way more than Parsons.

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

He's gonna get paid.

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We have harden. And parsons rapes reddick on defense.

18. IronicMan

IronicMan Member

http://rockets.clutchfans.net/3407/houston-rockets-salary-cap-james-harden/

Unless Redick plays for the minimum.

19. howo13579

howo13579 Member

I wouldn't want to give up anyone for JJ except Delfino or our PF (2Pat can be really good if he wants too). If we really get him out of FA, I'd start him over Lin as pure shooter and let Harden be the PG. Parsons is a slasher that play a really important role in the offense we're running. We can't afford to loose him. One other thing, JJ defense is average at best. We can't have both Harden and JJ both being liability at the other end.

20. javajam

javajam Contributing Member

Especially during last year's Dwight Howard saga, prior to and after the (Howard's) inury, J.J. Redick seemed to go about his business of concentrating on team ball. I thought then that his level of maturity, professionalism and focus under trying circumstances was as impressive as his great shooting ability.