1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is James Harden already the 2nd best Rocket of all-time?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by samtaylor, Nov 14, 2016.

Tags:
?

Where does James Harden rank in Rockets history?

1. 2nd

55.7%
  2. 3rd

31.4%
  3. 4th

6.2%
  4. 5th

3.6%
  5. Outside top 5

3.1%
  1. tmac

tmac Contributing Member

Yeah, no.

2. Joseph Ho

Joseph Ho Member

James Harden is definitely top 3 all time for Houston. Back when Tmac first arrived in Houston, I thought there will never be another guard in Houston better than Tmac. During his first 2 seasons in Houston, Harden was establishing himself as an all star caliber player. His 3rd season where he was 2nd in MVP, he proved that he's an elite player and one of the top players in the league.

I think last season during his "down" year, it showed me a lot about just how great of a player he truly is. I had a lot of frustrations with Harden last season and the Rockets entirely. I was frustrated with how Harden just chilled all summer and came back out of shape without working on his game. But towards the end of the season, Ive realized just how special he is.

The Rockets last year were just a mess. The whole team struggled and had a down year together. Dwight was sulking and really dragged the team back. Because of how bad the entire team was, after seeing what Harden really have to do every night to keep the Rockets afloat was nothing short of amazing. Whenever Harden would sit, the Rockets quickly fall behind and Harden had to come back in and pull the Rockets back within striking distance. The media crucified Harden last year while making Curry seem as God. But they never realized how bad the Rockets coaching staff were and how there were absolutely no offensive or defensive system. The whole team was a mess. Every offensive possession they relied on Harden to make something happen.

The fact that Harden carried a struggling team with no coaches and no system to a playoff spot just shows how great he truly is. The offensive burden that Harden has to carry on a nightly basis was ridiculous. Curry has the luxury of a great system and a great team. It allows him to play to his strength while cruising defensively. The fact that Harden singlehandedly got the Rockets a playoff spot last year was amazing itself. The media instead continued to bash him based on his defense and high turnovers. He has flaws just like everyone else. His turnovers were the product of trying to do too much on a struggling team with no system. Defensively is him trying to catch a breather.

This season Harden playing this well does not surprise me at all. He proved how great he is last year. This year he finally has a system and legit shooters to surround him. The game is more open and spaced out. Its ridiculous how the media say his numbers are inflated because of D'Antoni but they failed to realized that most of the teams today run the D'Antoni system offensively. The fact that Harden was able to average 29 / 7.5 / 6 on a struggling team with no system and leading them to the playoffs in the competitive west should proved the special and greatness of a player he is.

RocketWalta and Richie_Rich like this.
  3. Newlin

Newlin Member

Some people just don't appreciate the greatness of Moses Malone when he was with the Rockets. I get that most ClutchFans never saw Moses play as a Rocket, so they are coming for a point of ignorance. But still, Moses was just amazing.

4. the shark

the shark Member

This isn't even debatable. Anyone who doesn't think Big Mo is #2 behind The Dream needs to pull their head out of their @SS!!

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just because you weren't alive to see him doesn't mean you get to disrespect what he did.

Where you are alive when Moses was here?

[​IMG]
    What about the other Moses?

[​IMG]

6. the shark

the shark Member

To the EIGHTY-ONE people who voted Harden #2 behind Dream (and ahead of Big Mo).

In 5.5 seasons as a Rocket, Malone won not one but TWO MVP awards, AND he led them to the NBA finals against Boston (upsetting the Lakers in the first rd). Go look at that Rocket roster and what they had (they went 40-42 during the regular season). He put the team on his back and carried them to the finals, and actually won two games against Boston. They had NO business being in the finals, but they had Big Mo.

How many MVP's does Harden have? Zero

How many times has he been to the finals as a Rocket? Zero

EIGHTY-ONE clueless people.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He's definitely behind Moses Malone.

He also went on to win a ring. Not as a Rocket, but shows how great a player he was.

tinman likes this.
  8. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I saw him play. I was a kid but I saw him play a lot. My father had season tickets from about '75-'81 when I was about 6-12 so I was old enough to appreciate his greatness from inside the Summit. I still have Harden as second best all-time Rocket, but I don't argue with anyone that still has Moses ahead of him. He was amazing.

HP3 likes this.
  9. da_juice

da_juice Member

Malone is one of the all time greats and he brought Houston to the NBA Finals. Depending on how long Harden stays here and how far he carries us will have a big impact. If he ends up staying here for the rest of his career and/or takes us to the finals he passes Malone in terms of Rocket accomplishments. Or if he wins the MVP (Malone got his in Philly). Until then, I have Harden at third.

10. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

By the time Harden is done with Houston, he will break 90% of all record held by any rockets...if he can win a champion or 2, he will be the best Rocket, passing Hakeem.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

He won't break any defensive records that's for sure

Let's make a bet to see if he can pass Hakeem .

If you lose you and all the harden only fans get banned

12. tinman

Supporting Member

Here's the bet.

Harden has to win the defensive player of the year , MVP and finals MVP in the same year.

Hakeem did it.

c1utchfan925 likes this.
  13. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Right now I put Dream, mo, tmac and Clyde ahead. Not because of talent but because of heart. James checks out too often for me. Hopefully he grows up and craves competing every night. Right now I don't think he does.

Bennie Anders likes this.
  14. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

I wasn't into the sport back then but from what I've read and seen I would agree with this assessment. Until he leads us to another WCF or NBA finals I would definitely place him after Hakeem and Malone. If this team continues to keep improving its chemistry I see us getting into the second round. I'm not really going to try to guess past that though, the West is pretty tough and we'll see how many changes Morey makes before the post season begins.

15. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

And also help lead our team to 2 NBA titles. Does not have to be back to back, but if he could bring us 3 rings I may consider rating him higher than Hakeem.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

As much as an amazing offensive player Harden is, he will never affect the defensive side like Dream did.

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Anyone who has Harden ahead of Malone now as a Rocket (except Batman Jones):

1. Must not know much about Rockets history and/or
    2. Probably is 12 years old

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Including the turnover record?

Even if he wins 2 championships, I don't see him surpassing Hakeem. It's possible, but Hakeem was elite both ways. Hakeem is top 10 in NBA history.

He's greatest defender (at worst a top 3 defender all-time) and a guy who carried the team offensively in regular season and playoffs (always improving his stats in the playoffs).

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Harden should try to be the best in the Playoffs for the Rockets first.... lmao ... regular season does not count that much.

That said he has all the tools to succeed in the playoffs but he has not done it consistently.

There is a special place in my heart for someone like Hakeem, and Harden will never be better, he can officially surpass him winning 3 titles but there aint no big man so skilled and so fast than Mr. Olajuwon.

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Harden was solidly in second place in November. Anybody rethinking their vote in June?