1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is James Harden already the 2nd best Rocket of all-time?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by samtaylor, Nov 14, 2016.

Tags:
?

Where does James Harden rank in Rockets history?

1. 2nd

55.7%
  2. 3rd

31.4%
  3. 4th

6.2%
  4. 5th

3.6%
  5. Outside top 5

3.1%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah how the hell is he better than Moses Malone? who won the MVP and took the Rockets to the Finals?

I do agree Harden is MOST DEFINITELY BETTER than a player who has never taken the Rockets anywhere

2. tinman

Supporting Member

Harden is better than T-Mac as an NBA PLAYER.

3. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

wow no love for brian cook?

4. Drogba

Drogba Member

He needs to carry us to the Finals first. His most memorable playoff performances were all against the Warriors in 2015 (and the team let him down).

5. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I personally put a lot of value on longevity when determining franchise greats. (I shortchange Moses a bit for this, although he was so productive in 6 years that he's still up there.)

For example, I would take 4 years of Harden over 6.5 years of OT, because Harden is way, way better than OT.

But I wouldn't really be comfortable ranking a Harden whose career ended today above the decade-plus of accomplishments piled up by Rudy or Calvin.

I will put it this way: James doesn't have to do anything extra to earn the #2 spot in my mind, just stay healthy-ish and in Houston for the rest of his current contract. Even if he doesn't bring a title or continue to improve, he will achieve more by 2019 than any other Rocket has (besides Hakeem).

But for the actual poll, I ranked him 5, based on my personal standard that prefers longevity.

#45 CDrex, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    Deckard likes this.
  6. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

The question isn't is he already the second most accomplished player; it's is he the second BEST player. I was at the Summit rooting for Moses and Rudy and Calvin and the rest all throughout my childhood, but I still believe Harden today is better than Malone was at his peak. And he was freaking amazing.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Well said, Plowman. I remember those days as well, and while this is exactly the sort of topic that folks are going to disagree about (good job, OP!), I'm with you regarding Ralph.

8. Batman Jones

I know this is a joke but I frigging loved Rodrick Rhodes. He could be an amazing defensive player when he wanted to be. I'll never forget a Christmas game in which he held Michael Jordan nearly scoreless for a half by covering him so close. I miss that guy.

tinman likes this.
  9. Batman Jones

I can't argue with any of that. Great post. I still have Harden at 2 but it's a virtual tie with Moses to me. It's really the numbers he's consistently put up in this young season (and how he's put them up) that has pushed him into the 2 spot for me. Not for most accomplished, but for best player. I don't know if I've ever seen any player do what Harden's doing this season.

10. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I voted 3rd.

Dream
    Moses
    Harden

Moses is a top 20 talent of all time.

LCAhmed likes this.
  11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Calvin Murphy was probably the best combined talent act. Not only could he play ball, but he entertained us with his baton twirling, and still entertains us with his flamboyant outfits he sports in yet another talent of entertaining broadcasting. Calvin Murphy, you are the man!!!

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I usually do not compare Centers to Guards..... but when I do

most certainly will Centers win in a city of legendary Big Men.

#52 daywalker02, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  13. PhiSlammaJamma

1. Akeem
    2. Clyde
    3. Moses
    4. Harden

We've had a good run eh. Those guys are all Top 50 by the end of their career.

14. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Hakeem
    Moses
    Harden.

15. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Best player
    1.Hakeem
    2.Moses
    3.Clyde
    4.Hayes
    5.Harden

Rockets Legends
    1.Hakeem
    2.Moses
    3.Rudy T
    4.Harden
    5.Murphy

I picked him 4th but Hayes came out dominant and was the only bright spot for the Rockets those early years besides Don Kojis or so I've read. If he can get to the finals I would tie him with Clyde as far as player. He have to win one ring in my mind he will be top 2 or 3 in Rockets history.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

17. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I think its safe to say Harden's current Rockets tenur > Clyde's Rockets tenure

I think by the time its all set and done he'll be ahead of Moses.

18. rockets13champs

harden needs atleast 1 mvp, and a finals apperance before i say #2.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

It depends on the playoffs. Moses was dominating the league in the paint. When you average what? 25 points and 15 rebounds, that's both ends of the court.

20. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

Jerry Lin says "hi".

tinman likes this.