1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Impressed by Westbrook's Stats?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by HTM, Dec 10, 2016.

1. MystikArkitect

Trust me, no one is downplaying Westbrook. Arguing between Westbrook and Harden right now is like arguing Mozart vs Beethoven. It's splitting hairs. NOLA had Anthony Davis. Puts up monster stats but can't make his teammates better.

Russ DOES make his team mates better, more so than a player like Davis. It's just that right NOW Harden has him beat in that category which is why the Rockets have the better record even with a harder schedule. We're ultimately going to come down to the most valuable vs most amazing player.

2. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I do think Harden has more help than Westbrook, and I also appreciate/respect how hard Westbrook is going to play on both ends no matter the score or his teammates... but overall, yeah, I think Harden has an ever so slight edge right now in terms of overall impact. He's resurrecting 2015 Harden. Yeah, his TOs are a problem (as are WB's), but he's running the offense brilliantly, and is actually playing respectable defense.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

it's way better than anything Oscar Robertson ever did.

4. Rockets4Life13

If i had any skills in editing videos i would make a montage of Westbrooks rebounds this night just to show what type of rebounds he gets.
    Since i do not have these skills i will just watch and cound the uncontested ones.

Exiled and joomba like this.
  5. joomba

joomba Member

You don't need videos, Russ is leading the league in uncontested rebounds...lol

http://stats.nba.com/players/rebounding/#!?sort=REB_UNCONTEST&dir=1

Rockets4Life13 and Exiled like this.
  6. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I wish there was some sort of statistic that is kept on games that are thrown away by Westbrook's ultra hog ugly shot tendencies down the stretch.

Sure, you've got the right to take the final shot since you're the superstar. But seemingly every game they could win you need a couple of hands to count the utterly atrocious basketball plays he makes in the last few minutes.

7. BackdoorHarden

Thunder point guard Russell Westbrook is 0-of-5 on potential go-ahead shots in the final 5 seconds of the 4th quarter or overtime this season. He's 3-of-22 on those shots for his career.

8. DreamRun95

DreamRun95 Member

Not going to lie, I am impressed but not so much by the pure numbers but by the energy expenditure. We can fault him his efficiency and how it might be detrimental to his team's rhythm but we can't fault him his effort and drive he brings everyday. Harden is probably more technically polished and proficient skill wise but you have to admit that Westbrook surpasses him in just the energy and motivation he brings, which sometimes puts Harden to shame in this category not to mention alot of other Superstars in the league.

In saying all this I can't also help feeling sorry for Westbrook because of the way he plays, because this is not going to help his career longevity. Sooner or later he will break down if he maintains the pace. Reminds me over a young Wade, alot of people saying his aggressive physical way of attacking the basketball and absorbing contact will lessen his career peak.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

WB missed 3 shots in the last 5 seconds of the Hawks game. Did anyone else here see it?

Am I being too harsh by saying it was the worst display of testosterone overload and hero-ball ever?

WB is such a bonehead! His ego is the size of a gymnasium. Watching him glare at the refs for not bailing him out of his stupidity makes me feel sorry for everyone else on that team.

10. BackdoorHarden

Yea, it's typically hero ball. Took 3 shots and they didnt' even bother to try to set up any play, just hero ball.

Yet, according to ESPN, WB is the runaway MVP this year and no matter what happens from here, he's the MVP and Harden is not even a close second.

ESPN has already given the MVP to WB, so it's going to be impossible for Harden to win.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  11. BackdoorHarden

Damn ESPN arguement that because WB plays on a horrible team, he deserves the MVP over Harden because Harden plays on a team with great teammates and is on pace to win 60 games. So WB deserves the MVP even though he's shooting 40% and his team needs him more so they can win 40 games.

LOL. What a dumb article. I can't believe ESPN is making the arguement for MVP because he's on a sucky team

"With Harden, Houston is undeniably a better team than Oklahoma City is with Westbrook, as evidenced by the Rockets’ 20-7 start and resulting 61-win pace. But Harden has been able to lean on the likes of Eric Gordon and Patrick Beverley to help steady things.

He has to be the West’s MVP to date. No matter what happens from here."

Pen15clubber likes this.
  12. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Nope.

Exactly what my post a couple up from yours was in regards to.

Such a bad ending by the OKC Westbrooks

13. riko

riko Member

Westbrook is a one man show. He does not make anyone better. He really needs to pay attention to Harden is now playing and trusting his teammates hence the Rockets are now amongst the elites whilst his team is on a spiral.

14. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

OKC does not have such bad players. Oladipo and Kanter can both score. Adams is also better than any big man we have. Put Harden on that team and they would win a lot more.

riko likes this.
  15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Just looked at Westbrook's stats because of this thread... impressive!

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

2.2 contested rebounds per game.

The media being on his tip doesn't bother me, but if his artificially inflated rebound totals cost Harden the MVP it certainly is gonna piss me off. He's a spectacular player, but this rebound total is BS. He's just a stats hog, and his team is playing along completely. Kanter and Adams combined average 6.5 contested rebounds, yet they only average 6.8 combined uncontested rebounds, because Westbrook is hoovering up all of the freebies, 8.5 all by himself.

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  17. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

Where was this from 2 years ago with curry and harden lol the media just doesn't like to give harden credit. From that mvp race to last year all nba team, to this year saying the rockets are stacked even though harden is the main component to making the rockets train run

And it is so obvious the whole team is feeding stats to WB to sort of say FU Durant and we don't need you anyways, we have a superstar. WB stands at the FT line and all their big guys just go back on defense and let WB grab any missed FT's and if they can on defensive rebounds. Harden does do the same thing occasionally but he doesn't go out there harping every uncontested rebounds, only when he's close to his triple double lol

#117 khanhdum, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  18. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Russ is pure garbage.

Ya I said it.

If your impressed by his effort, that fine. There's a lot of scrubs that give effort at the local YMCA rec league.

I'm not impressed by a guy who in all likelihood is going to be a 40/25 shooter by years end with the highest usage rate off all time.

The was he plays is gross and its disrespectful to compare him to
    Harden Lebron curry or KD.

I don't understand the slurp fest this guy gets. He makes a few plays that yes are very impressive but overall it's terrible to watch.

This angry Russ thing is WACK!!!!!

You can't win with a guy like him period.

If I was okc I would cut bait right now and get a ton of assets, he signed to a new deal so you can get major value. If he couldn't get it done playing with KD your not teaming him up with anyone else to win that's for sure.

I'm not interested in watching or hearing about this guy on tv or radio anymore. He's not going to change and you heard it hear.

The thunder won't be in the playoffs this year.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I should have asked in the earlier post but can someone here splice together the last 5 seconds of the Hawks game?

The 3 shots WB took were out-of-control comedy gold.

20. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

Yea that was so bad and out of control