1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I think this trade deadline, the Rockets will definitely choose a direction

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jan 8, 2012.

1. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

So I'm guessing you judge the economy based on the S&P and Nasdaq numbers as well...

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not relevent to the discussion - please take that to the D&D.

Thanks,

DD

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Don't you know that Budinger is our Kobe? At least, that's what someone's sig was insinuating a while back.

1 person likes this.
  4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I'm with those who say we should rebuild. We are a long way away from being a championship contender and getting a guy like Bosh, etc. is not going to get us over the hump. Even if we somehow were able to broker a deal for a legit allstar, we'd be sending away so much talent that we'd have to make other major moves just to stay competitive team in the short-term. We are going to fall short either way, so why not fall really short, maximize the value of our veteran assets at the trade deadline, and put our team on a pathway for a prospurous future by rebuilding through the draft.

1 person likes this.
  5. DaDakota

Only stupid people thought that, the intelligent ones were able to figure out that it was meant to show folks that you can not judge a player by his rookie year.

Apparently contextual meaning is lost amonth the intellectually meek.

DD

6. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

I'm always in favor of gambling on young players; my point is the type of young player you end up getting is going to have a ton of warts, or is going to make an almost unprecedented increase in performance like Lowry. Lee is the same player as he was in Orlando by my eyes.

I still firmly believe that Morey believed he could get something out of Thabeet, Flynn and Hill. In terms of Hill, teams simply don't give up on lottery picks after 1 year; can you name the last time one got traded in midseason in a salary dump? As for Thabeet, I don't think you make the deal with Memphis unless you really like the pieces coming back. You don't strengthen the team that is competing with you for a playoff spot when you can get 85% of the value by shipping him to Philly or Boston, unless you really think you're hoodwinking them. For Flynn, the Rockets clearly had enough faith in him to be the backup PG in the Gasol/Nene lineup that got SternBurned.

I like Morey, and I'm also confident his methods for evaluating players are pretty solid. I don't really blame you for not reading the rest of the thread, but I've been trying to gauge what people are happy to accept for Scola/Martin at the deadline. I contend that you'll get:

A: A player that has a chance of being good, ranging from Thabeet-level bustiness to Lowry-level awesomeness + maybe a late pick.
    B: Two lottery protected picks.
    C: A potential trade up into the lottery by waiting on draft day.

Anyone disagree? I just think that people are a little spoiled by Morey's moves already; it's not a guarantee that the player he picks up will be better than Scola/Martin, and there is a non-zero chance that if you gamble on a bench unknown that he ends up being nothing.

7. DaDakota

Must remember when making condescending humorous post and trying to sound smart, that it is important to spell correctly.

MUST REMEMBER !!

:)

DD

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think that's about right. I could see a team firmly in the playoff race offering an unprotected 1st rounder in this year's draft, simply because they know it won't be a lotto pick. Also, teams likely in the position to help us move up are not likely to be teams interested in costly veterans like Scola and Martin. I think the best we can hope for is a young, talented player on the rise, but not near allstar caliber, and/or a couple of mid to late round draft picks (which we would hopefully package with other picks in an attempt to move up in the draft). Regardless of what our vets can fetch on the trade market, let's hope that Morey has properly gagued the value of these mid-round draft picks, because at this point, being stuck with another mid-round player on our roster won't do much to improve our team.

9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Aww, this is your shtick as of late. Be wrong about anything and everything possible for over a decade yet resort to insulting others. You have no leg to stand on.

You posted their rookie stats next to each other. Budinger and freakin Kobe Bryant. It made zero sense then and it makes zero sense now. We're free to interpret that in any way we want. Of course, you're free to change your tune and flip-flop like you've done on everything. You would think that the intellectually arrogant would never bring up such a stupid comparison in the first place.

10. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

Like budinger and Kobe both like blonde chicks from Colorado.

11. zainahsan93

zainahsan93 Member

What Are We Doing?

After watching this Heat-Bulls game, we are nowhere near there level of play. I love my Rockets but again we are just a mediocre team. The trade deadline coming up might determine which direction Morey is taking this team.

This is my opinion so you guys don't have to be A** Holes

12. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Thanks for sharing your opinion. It really made me think about the current state of the Rockets. I don't know where I would be without this thread.

1 person likes this.
  13. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

But is this worst a thread though?

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I thought we were as good as the Heat and Bulls until I read this thread.

15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I don't think anyone thinks the Rockets are as good as the Bulls or Heat so what's your point.

We have DMo coming over next season
    NYK's 1st round pick this season which is looking real good
    Our own which we might have to send to Memphis if we make the play-offs
    An early 2nd rounder

and like you said there is still the trade deadline.

What would you like them to do?

16. Spooner

Spooner Member

lol wut?

Really?

lol......

17. zainahsan93

zainahsan93 Member

This team has no direction, this win streak doesn't matter we have been winning against bad teams.

What is the point in only getting the 14th pick for the 3rd strait year

18. zainahsan93

zainahsan93 Member

19. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

What is the point of making a useless thread that could've gone in any of the bashing threads in the GARM?

1 person likes this.
  20. VBG

VBG Member

Thunder, Bulls and Heat are on their level. No one else is there.

Rockets can beat anyone else on a given night.