1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I think this trade deadline, the Rockets will definitely choose a direction

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Everyone on the rockets is on the trading block to be frank....just because there aren't specific rumors doesn't mean they aren't talking.

2. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

I understand you just fine, I just disagree with the guys you happened to pick; I don't think many of those guys were attainable even before they became all-stars and olympians.

Granger was an invitee to the green room and was rumored to go as high as #5 on draft day who slipped incredibly to the Pacers at #17. Iguodala was a #9 overall pick; don't know when he was ever attainable for a vet.

Look at how crazy we get over Patterson's performance as a #14 pick, and yet Danny Granger's stats as a rookie blew him away. Yet most people, me included, laughed at Bill Simmons' trade proposal of Brendan Hayward for Patterson this summer. You don't think the Rockets that has a rookie player of that caliber won't give him up for a huge upgrade at center?

I guess my overall feeling on your trade proposals is that how much risk are you willing to take on in order to strike gold? For every Lowry/Lee the Rockets unearth, there is Thabeet/Hill/Williams. I just don't think you're going to get a good prospect for either of them, plus picks. You can get one, or the other.

3. TheBookOfOlu

TheBookOfOlu Member

We are rebuilding, but Martin gotta go, I love Scola To death, but Scola gotta go also. Send Thabeet, Dragic, Fylnn, Chase Budinger & sammy Out the door also.
    PG: Kyle Lorwy
    SG: C.Lee
    SF: M.Morris
    PF: PP2
    C: Jorden Hill

4. cod

cod Member

The Rockets are the youngest team in the league. If that isn't a new direction or rebuilding, what is?

5. cod

cod Member

Your reply makes it seem like you were just making things up.

6. Raven

Raven Member

Seven teams are now 2-6, with only the Wizards being worse at 0-8. As of today, the Rockets pick would land in the top ten. In all probability, the difference between landing in the top five verses the top ten will come down to a handful of loses.

7. stefanb

stefanb Member

i would rep you if i could. the new york dolls kicked ass.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just based in quotes and newspaper reports which have always stated the rockets are one of the mot active teams seeking trades and other gms saying the Rockets put everyone on the table. I really think they do

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

And that includes Lowry.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

Breaking news. EVERY team in the NBA is willing to trade a player for the right return. And excluding Morey, there are 29 GMs in the NBA willing to trade their non-superstars at any given moment.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

I was just using hypotheticals as type of players. Not trying to state their exact value at any given moment in their careers.

But plenty of players have been traded before before reaching another level of play. Lowry, Gasol, Jermaine O'Neal, Jason Kidd are some that I can think off the top of my head.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not true, some of them are looking to build chemistry and wait on players to develop.

Do you think the Lakers would have traded a 19 year old Kobe after he struggled?

The problem with Morey's approach is that no one feels like they belong, even Luis talked about how he had bought in to the team's colors, and now - well......

I think Moreys' biggest problem is that he talks too damned much, he should not be so prevelent in the media, that way he could do his job and the players would not constantly read that he said everyone was tradeable....

It does not do anything good for morale.

And please- I don't want to read any garbage about them being professional and morale not mattering, becuase it matters a LOT - if players are happy, they will perform a lot better.

DD

13. BigBull17

BigBull17 Member

I think for the price , I think I would rather have Bynum than Howard. Howard is very good, don't get me wrong, but he will also cost you half of your roster. These teams have bad track records after these ground breaking trades. You need SOME depth.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

When did Kobe struggle? The guy was basically locked for the 8th pick coming out of high school(back when kids almost never jump) and was oozing with superstar potential in his rookie year. My god if we had a rookie who like rookie Kobe this entire board would be filled with topics on that guy.

15. DaDakota

The point was that some teams will keep a core together, we churn almost our entire roster every couple of years.

Morey has certainly been working hard, but I am not sure he is working effectively.

DD

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The response was you are using non-comparable examples to prove your point.

Beyond the fact that Kobe was oozing with talent as a rookie, as noted, the Lakers did not keep a core together to build around Kobe. Eddie Jones, Nick Van Exel and Elden Campbell were big players on the Lakers in Kobe's rookie years. None of those guys were on the squad in their first championship years... and those are just examples.

Please pick a real comparison that worked out well??

Bey

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You forgot to use the "not that I have any facts to back this up" Herman Cain qualifier.

[​IMG]

enjoy your beating.

1 person likes this.
  18. DaDakota

Well the only facts that matter are the teams won/loss record and whether they are actually any close to being a contender today than they were when he took over.

DD

19. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Comparing the deals to acquire Lowry and Lee to the deals for the 09 busts is completely fallacious.

Lowry and Lee were both acquired by moving established and slightly overpaid veterans (Alston and Ariza) to competitive teams trying to round out their rosters. These were risky deals for young players that were under-rated around the league and for whom the Rockets had to give up established veterans who still had multiple years on their contract with Houston. These are exactly the kind of deals meh is wanting the Rockets to do now.

Meanwhile, Hill was a throw in on the T-Mac trade (if he would not have been included that would have still been a Houston win) and Thabeet was a negative the Rockets took on in the Battier trade in order to get an extra future 1st round pick. Flynn also was a burden we had to take on in order to get rid of Brad Miller. These players were not acquired to pan out, they were throw ins. Williams I'll give you -- that was a risk that has not panned out.

But I will definitely applaud deals in which the Rockets send out someone like Martin in order to take a risk on a younger under-rated player. Morey's track record for identifying talent in that manner gives me a lot of confidence in him.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Then why are you fabricating silly reasons for these facts?