1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I think this trade deadline, the Rockets will definitely choose a direction

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Pete the Cheat

how do you propose we get a top 3 pick? even if we were to go into full on tank mode, seems improbable considering where we are record-wise at this point in the season.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

this is where I am too...I could never really root against them, anyway, while watching a game.

sorry for the misunderstanding, meh..got it now.

3. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

And even if we do somehow suck the rest of the way to a top-3 pick, there's the gamble of the lottery. At least we have the Ny pick that's getting a lot more value. Maybe we can trade our way to a top-4 pick with it.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

I said "put us in position to get a top 3 pick". That is different from getting one. There is literally no foolproof way to get one short of accumulating 1st round picks from the 12 lottery teams.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

Actually, given how Morey says this draft is 3-deep at the top, a top-3 pick is fairly sure thing. At least as sure as any lotto draft pick can reasonably be.

Also, if the Rockets don't feel like taking a risk, they can always trade the pick. Derrick Favors was the centerpiece for the Deron Williams trade. No reason why the Rockets can't make a similar deal for a moody star in the offseason with the pick.

Risky or not, high lottery picks are very valuable. Players like Adam Morrison or Kwame Brown may not be these days, but go back to when they were drafted they were valuable.

6. Pete the Cheat

I could definitely see this happening. Morey seems pretty risk averse, and would more than likely trade for a known commodity unless a potential superstar just falls in our lap wherever we draft.

my bet would be D. Cousins is high on his list.

7. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I'd love to see Cousins on our roster. Yes he can be a knucklehead but he'd be our lone knucklehead (after TWill leaves) that can grow with this young team (assuming they'd want Scola in the package somewhere).

8. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Perhaps a Granger type, Cousins, or Iggy is in their future?

9. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

The direction is play the hand you are dealt. The Rockets are competitive and are improving.

Star free agents have repeatedly refused to play in Houston. And going the way of the Lottery doesn't always work, because so many draft classes are filled with potential that stays just that...

Reality is that the Rockets are good T.V.; and as someone said before, I refuse to pull against the Rockets. Games are typically competitive.

Morey is working the phones and the team continues to build value. Stay the course Rockets, and things will pan out.

1 person likes this.
  10. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

This dead line is going to be frustrating like last season. No one is going to make big moves until Howard is dealt.