1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I have found our best trade scenario for what we need now (Perimeter Defense)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheDr34m, Nov 25, 2013.

1. TheDr34m

TheDr34m Contributing Member

We do not need a PF at this moment because Terrance Jones has been nothing short of sensational since being placed into the starting lineup. We have been atrocious on our perimeter defense. That will only continue with the lineup we have in place.

Because of the Derrick Rose injury again it got me thinking. I always wanted Iggy on our team and I know there is no way in hell GSW is trading Iggy to us. Well who can fill that Iggy role quite successfully that person will be Luol Deng. He is a tough hardnosed defender that can shoot the three ball and do pretty much anything. He can even come off the bench and play the 4 when we want to go with the small ball lineup.

But the main thing is he would be there to defend the best player on the court when the game is on the line in the 4th quarter. We know the bulls love Asik and they need scoring punch due to Rose being out. The money matches up pretty good.

We can do a trade for Jeremy Lin + Omer Asik for Luol Deng straight up or the Bulls can also add in Jimmy Butler. This will allow Jeremy to start on a good team plus Omer Asik to move to the starting lineup and move Joakim Noah down to the four spot. This will enable Aaron brooks to either become the starter or him to take Jeremy Lin's spot off the bench. Even if Rose comes back Jeremy already has the experience coming off the bench and would do so if a healthy Derrick Rose were in front of him. Plus Jeremy would be playing in front a huge market like Chicago (top 3 market)

Plus Luol Deng's contract expires after this year at 14 mil + this year. He will not get paid the same in his next contract if it doesn't work with us fine. We move forward with new options next year and it won't hamstring us going forward. If it works out great we can resign him to a contract much easier to work with than his current 14 mil contract because he is not worth that much. Maybe 10 to 12 million max per year.

I believe this works out for both teams and solves some of their immediate needs. He comes from a coach in Tom Thibideou who is known as being a hard nosed defense first coach.

So to eliminate all confusion I will write down the options again.

Jeremy Lin + Omer Asik for Luol Deng
    Jeremy Lin + Omer Asik for Luol Deng + Jimmy Butler
    or (a late addition)
    Jeremy Lin + Omer Asik for Luol Deng + Chi 1st round draft pick
    or
    Jeremy Lin + Omer Asik for Luol Deng + Chi 1st round draft pick. 3rd team deal trade Dmo and Chicago's 1st round pick that Houston got in the Deng deal to Philly for Spencer Hawes to fill in the 5 spot behind Howard. (He can also shoot the three and hit free throws late in case hack a dwight is used)

I would prefer getting Jimmy Butler but I don't know if Chicago will part with him. Deng is no slouch on the offensive side plus he has been known to hit clutch shots in big games including the playoffs.

I think this fits best plus doesn't interfere with us going forward in pursuing LMA or Kevin Love.

ESPN Trade Machine says both trade options with and without Jimmy Butler will work according to the CBA.

Get er done Morey!

#1 TheDr34m, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

3. TheDr34m

Our Starting Lineup would be.

Brooks/Beverley
    Harden
    Parsons
    T. Jones
    Howard

Deng off the Bench. (But will more than likely close out games at the 4 spot)

4. NotChandlerParsons

Loul Deng may turn into dust at any point during the season.

5. dragician

dragician Member

6. TheDr34m

dust? what do you mean?

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

8. bws

bws Member

Another trade Jeremy post. Why not just put it in the random trade thread. A Brooks/Beverley back court is weak. Trading away your most consistent and top 4 player with no replacement makes no sense.

9. Hmm

Hmm Member

I'm not surprised by this... Some of the trade-Lin-while-his-value-is-high posts seem to be of the mindset that dust would have a higher upside and a lower chance for failure than Jeremy Lin, no matter how consistent his improvement is this season...

10. bball_lifer

bball_lifer Member

If its for Deng and Butler its a no brainer.

11. TheDr34m

I love the way Jeremy Lin's been playing this season. But our defense is garbage and we need to fix that first. Asik has to go anyways might as well let him go with him so that we can improve the one thing we are garbage at which is permiter defense.

12. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Consideriing the OP is a LOF it's interesting.

13. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Deng will leave at the end of the season as an unrestricted and go for the $$ (+starting role) which we can't offer him.

Asik being put back in a position as back-up C in Chicago will not work for them. He's already shown how grumpy he can be in that position.

14. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I think Deng would start and Chandler would come off the bench.

15. TheDr34m

OP is not a LOF please check signature. Thank you!

16. Crunchyball

Crunchyball Rookie

YES do the trade!

17. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

We would start Deng. I posted something similar in the Random Trade Ideas thread. Chicago would do this because it makes Noah expendable. They could net a pretty good player for Noah. If they did this, they'd have a lot of assets they could send out to facilitate a quick rebuild if they're smart about it. Of course, I don't think Gar Foreman is a particularly smart GM.

18. TheDr34m

In the interim Noah would move down to the four spot because Asik is a much larger body in the paint.

19. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

No one will use the thread specifically for trade ideas because they think they have the latest and greatest idea and that the whole GARM will go: OOOOOOOOHH AHHHHHHHH

REP

REP

REP

REP

Because Deng has NEVER been mentioned before.

Hey by the way, there is a specific thread for this idea you have.

20. TheDr34m

This is post Derrick Rose out for the season again injury. I highly doubt there is one that was made after his miniscus injury that makes sense for both teams which includes Jeremy Lin.

A lot of questions marks surround Derrick Rose's knee and health going forward at this point.