1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FIRE RICK SMITH!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ipaman, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

His track record says otherwise.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Can we be reasonable enough to say not all of Morey's decisions are good and not all of Smith's decisions are bad? Geez! For every Ed Reed, there's a papanikolaou or Dalembert. At least Ed Reed had championship experience.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

My point is Morey stays flexible, doesn't overpay, doesn't waste picks, etc.

Morey realizes he's fallible, doesn't have a crystal ball and can't predict the future

BOB thinks he's a genius so he throws away picks like confetti

4. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Gotta admit Morey and Luhnow treat their personnel as chess pieces... but they have coaches that are feel good rah rah types to balance that out...

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

Flexible means no one was safe. Lin was overpaid. Brewer is overpaid. I'll give him that he doesn't wait too long to get rid of a player if he is under-performing.

Are you comparing OBrien to Morey?

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Not to mention they're also extremely good at what they do in terms of talent evaluation and roster building, whereas Rick Smith seems to suck colossal donkey balls.

Beyond that, Morey never dicked anybody over that I know of. Guys can get butthurt about being traded or referred to as "assets", but at the end of the day, he never negotiated in bad faith, etc.

7. MystikArkitect

True. Twitter is the worst/best thing to happen to media members since the newspaper. Can stay mum about a topic to save face and then when you know what hits the fan they can come out and say "I knew it all along!".

SAS and Broussard are the biggest examples of this on a national level. Just throw whatever stories out there and see if it sticks. Durant to NYC and Cuban driving around downtown looking for DeAndre two biggest examples.

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Curry missed that wide open layup; makes a tough 3 lol

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

^crap wrong section. Sorry

10. mick fry

mick fry Member

Just another reason to Fire Rick Smith

11. lnchan

LOFers beg t0 differ.

12. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Are you really comparing Morey to Rick Smith? Rick isn't even in the same league. Rick Smith is like the Billy King of NBA GMs.

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

I didn't bring the comparison up. Others didn't. I understand on message boards Morey is the messiah and Rick Smith is the worst GM in the history of GMs; but when you do a fair comparison with results and not rhetoric and perception they are both at the top half of their respective leagues.

*I'm not defending Rick Smith and I agree he has to go but let's keep the haily Moreys in the GARM where they belong

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

How many of those talents did he evaluate, draft or sign, trade and then they get cut?

A few players would disagree with your 2nd paragraph. And we don't have any real accounts of Rick Smith doing that either. Who did he negotiate in bad faith with?

15. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

At some point you typically resign or get FIRED when you produce long term results like Rick Smith has so far right? If Rick was working for a fortune 500 company he'd be gone by now...years ago

16. baubo

baubo Member

His track record says he runs the team like a country club and not a business. There’s no “we suck in this area so let’s choose to improve it” with McNair. They make big moves when it’s necessary, but rarely if ever are there small tweeks, like improving college scouting or create better player development or find ways to reduce injuries on the field. And if he has done these things, he has done a terrible job because I haven’t seen much results.

Yes, the Texans have found hidden gems, but look at the successful franchises. For ever Arian Foster the Texans find, the Patriots or the Packers find 5 or 10 starters that no one ever heard of. In the end, football is all about lots of quality players across multiple positions (QB notwithstanding). The Texans have only 1 season accomplished that goal, and even that one had the weird Phillips bump that regressed the next year.

17. Nook

Nook Member

This just shows your ignorance.

Pappanikolaou was signed and given a large non guaranteed contract with the purpose of trading him for a contract that the Rockets otherwise would not have been able to add under the cap rules. The Rockets don't get LAWSON without Pap-Smear.

Dalembert wasn't a bad move either.

Also your earlier statement that Rick Smith is in the top half of the GM's in the league is absurd. He is a bad GM that is good at kissing the ass of an owner that ultimately doesn't care if he wins or loses so long as the fans stay off his ass.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

No, those are $8mil per year contracts. And Lin was only 3 years (not sure what Brewer is).

Even if they under performed those contracts, it wasn't by much.

And I disagree Brewer is overpaid.

But compare that to the monster contracts Cushing, Schaub, and Foster signed. Those are devastating moves when you get zero production out of so much money.

19. lnchan

Dunta Robinson. Glover Quin. Wade Phillips. Mike Mohammed. Brett Hartman. Eric Winston.

20. lnchan

I am betting Rick Smith signs Foster to an extension because he thinks he is getting bargain value for signing players when they are hurt.