1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Fertitta disputes idea Rockets used the Trade Deadline to get under the Luxury Tax

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

Ok so we dont have a second round pick this year. Stop being dramatic about that. I am sure one of the 5 undrafted players we sign next year will make the rotation and after that draft you can buy them. No biggie.

You guys need to come to grips and accept that none of the trash we traded is going to help anyone win a chip. They make no difference on any team.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

actually, we guys don't need to come to grips and we guys don't need to accept basically jackshit coming out of an uninformed rookie's keyboard.

luckyman76, vick and snowconeman22 like this.
  3. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

Not spinning anything. You guys still believe this is the same team that took the warriors to 7 games least year. Even if they were, the warriors have added an all star center since. So why is it a big deal if the rockets decide to save some money on players only you guys think have value.

4. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Do you think the supposed Memphis/Miami deal was made up? If that’s the case there were quite a few people lying.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Thanks, I was wondering if someone had summarized the "cost saving" measures in their entirety.

So the above is basically the cost to move from Ryan Anderson?

If you look back at the trade deadline, seems entirely likely could have just kept Anderson and moved him at the deadline plus a first and Melton if necessary for an expiring. I guess you wouldn't have Shumpert or the 2021 Bucks SRP (lol), but you would have 3 other second round picks.

I guess SRPs are kind of fungible. We'll see if the Rockets buy their way in in the future.

Losing the first round pick SUCKS. I know many discount it, but DM picks very well late, and in general there have been a number of late first that have turned out to be very good over the years (see the legend of the 27th pick). But with luxury tax savings being an absolute goal, probably a goner in either case.

Ultimately, all the moves might come down to Shumpert. So far, I'm not moved by his play. BUt with everyone back healthy, if he can give you 20-25 minutes a game, play stellar d and actually hit some threes (not the 25% he's hitting on 5+ attempts per game as a Rocket so far) AND contribute to the team taking GSW to 7 (whenever they face them), I guess that's win...

Jake Tower and snowconeman22 like this.
  6. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

The only thing not trash on that list is the first round pick. The rest of it makes no difference in winning a chip. Just accept that we have the players we need to make a run in the playoffs. If we traded gordon or tucker instead i would understand all the fuss. But what if we get injued? Well yeah that can happen to any team and we probably lose.

The warriors are too smart to use ennis against. Thats why mikes rotations are so low against them, they expose every weakness of every aspect of every player and ennis had too many negatives.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So, it took you this long to admit that the trades were to save money. It's fine, just own it.

8. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

You guys are upset because we didnt get better or add anything.

Not because we lost some trash.

9. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

You guys act like he saved money by trading tucker or something.

It is over dramatic as always round these parts. James freaking ennis and deanthony melton...brandon knight....ryan andrson.......chriss

10. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

The fact that someone can’t get 20-25 minutes as a backup is complete BS. This tells me that they expect PJ to play the majority of the minutes wether he’s tired or not. I’m not surprised at all. MDA is good at running guys to the ground b4 getting to the PO which is why no other player can get decent minutes.
    And of course the famous “we almost had him” line comes up. Of course we almost get everyone right? It’s convenient to say after you’ve gotten no one even though you needed someone.

Jake Tower, snowconeman22 and vick like this.
  11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

we guys are upset b/c tilman is a lying sack of **** and he has far too many sheeps fooled into thinking otherwise who insist on defending his pathetic ass and do it with some of the dumbest arguments made in this forum since its inception.

Jake Tower, joshuaao and vick like this.
  12. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

While I definitely don't think Shump is worth a FRP, does anyone know how or if we can sign him next season (assuming he pans out?) Trying to figure out if trading for him gave us a leg up in FA? That is the only way giving up the FRP makes the slightest of sense to me.

vick likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

There is no “there”, just Tilman and he figures that he is paying a lot of money in salaries to players so either Morey figures it out or Tilman will bring someone else in that will.

Unfortunately you cannot trust anything the organization says at this point.

BMoney, BigMaloe, lilbird20 and 6 others like this.
  14. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

They could have easily promised morris 20 minutes a night. Tucker can play the 3, 4 and the 5. I think they should have signed morris with that promise. That was a mistake.

ROXonROXonROX and vick like this.
  15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You have no idea what opportunity cost is, do you.

HP3 and vick like this.
  16. biff17

biff17 Member

Porzingis was traded for a lottery pick player and a 1st.

Porter was traded for 2expiring who can actually play and one has who have upside.

Tobias was trade for one rotation player and 2 1st round picks.

None of those trades can be construed as just trading an expiring contract.

How does Knight have any value comparable to those deals?

Expiring are not the windfall they used to be it's entirely dependent on teams who are over the cap and who is available in free agency.

Jake Tower and snowconeman22 like this.
  17. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I think Knight was an obvious cap move. My sense is he's referring to basically dumping Ennis and Chriss - neither would have played down the stretch, and I think it was probably a combination of getting their salaries off the books, especially if they werent going to play.

I wish this team was more aggressive in making the implied commitments to Morris. Nothing against PJ, but he should not be starting. His offense has taken a step back since early in the season, and he has been a big reason we havent taken bigger advantage of James being double teamed - often, it's PJ's man who doubles and PJ hesitates to shoot or make swift moves, allowing the defense to recover easily. He plays with a ton of heart and I love what he brings, but I think there's no denying that Morris would have been an upgrade.

vick likes this.
  18. biff17

biff17 Member

what does opportunity cost have to do with anything?

19. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

Lets be real. He just bought an nba team for over $2 billion. Give the man some time. Relax, i am sure the savings will help the rockets when they need it.

I guess i just dont think the players we traded matter and so does he, but saying that publicly is never good.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

They didn't promise anything to Rivers or Faried. They understood their roles. Tucker is not playing SF minutes. It is obvious they looked at Morris as a stretch 5.

HP3, snowconeman22 and vick like this.