1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Fertitta disputes idea Rockets used the Trade Deadline to get under the Luxury Tax

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Feb 19, 2019.

1. xaos

xaos Member

I am huge on giving people the benefit of the doubt, especially when they are new. But, that's a bunch of bull. There ARE justifications for getting below the luxury tax line. Just admit why we did what we did... It doesn't ruin future negotiations with other teams for trades. Houston Rockets fans may be dramatic, but we're not idiots. Bad move by Fertitta.

BigMaloe, Mazulis, IvanLCPM and 6 others like this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Appreciate you bullet-pointing the assets used.

Jake Tower and Dgn1 like this.
  3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Yeah but then we'd have something to hold tilman accountable to if/when he tries to dodge the LT over the next couple of seasons

Which .... I assume he might . "We are confident in our guys ." . "There were some good options out there , but it takes two to tango ."

Look it's still early in tilmans ownership ... it outside of that great season he was gifted last year .... he hasn't been off to a great start

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

5. amaru

amaru Member

I agree with pretty much everything you posted here, but Brandon Knight is not an expiring contract.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  6. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

If the reported deal with Memphis/ Miami for J Green, Temple, and Ellington would have held up wouldn’t that have put us over the luxury tax line? He has said that for the right deal he would pay the tax. That deal in my opinion would have been worth it. I think that once that fell through and we had to settle for Shump, they said screw it. Why pay the tax for trash role players?

Secondly I was wondering if playing time was an issue for some of the early buyout candidates. Why not guarantee a back up 4 at least 20 minutes or a little more? PJ’s minutes need to come down. I get that we are loyal to our core players, but cutting PJ’s minutes to 27 or 28 wouldn’t be a terrible thing if we had the right backup for him.

We don’t even have a starting caliber SF at this point. There aren’t enough minutes at the 3 either? I just don’t get the logic.

ak99999 likes this.
  7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Dude we didn't even get a second rounder !

The guy was playing 20mpg for us and was not (contrary to CF narrative) THAT bad .

IMO he had found his niche coming off the bench and was getting into a groove

BigShasta likes this.
  8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm talking future assets. I meant his value in trade next year. That's what we gave up.

rocks123 likes this.
  9. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

They only traded one first (which should be later in the round) to get knight off the books. That is a great deal considering the pick and knights salary.

None of the players we traded will make a difference in winning a chip....injuries or not.

amaru likes this.
  10. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

This guy is trying to beat Jussie Smollett for the biggest lie of 2019.

11. amaru

amaru Member

Fair enough

12. amaru

amaru Member

Ennis wasn't the worst NBA player but he also wasn't that good. It was clear that he isn't a 20 mpg caliber player on most teams. You have to consider what other teams view as his value. I'd be willing to bet it wasn't that high.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

We know what teams who are trying to win look like at the deadline: They trade their assets for Boban Marjanovic, Tobias Harris, Nikola Mirotic, Marc Gasol and the like. They actually succeed in signing Markieff Morris rather than just tell Jonathan Feigan that they tried.

Tilman has been talking about his lack of concern about the luxury tax while making every move this offseason to get under the tax, including not ever touching the MLE and demoting Danuel House, a rotation player, to the GLeague. Not buying it.

14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I can see where you are coming from .

But still ! We gave him away for nothing !

If we pick up someone with a 10 day that's better than Ennis then I'll relent , but until then it was a pure cost saving move that weakened us .... maybe he doesn't play at all for us ... but what if shumpert gets hurt ? Depth is never bad

15. 1Deep

1Deep Member

So he's cheap and also has a propensity to lie.

16. Victorious

Victorious Member

Look, they were willing to go all in on Jimmy Butler. So it sounds like if it was worth it, they would have dealt with the lux tax if it meant they had a shot at the title.

My guess is they couldn't make a move that would vault them pass the Warriros so they decided it wasn't worth paying lux tax and got under.

Maybe more blame goes on Morey for not being able to bring in good assets

BaselineFade likes this.
  17. amaru

amaru Member

Agreed, I'm waiting to see how this roster finally shakes out before I pass judgement on the Ennis trade. Ennis set the bar THAT low.....that even a pure cost saving move might actually be justified.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Keep those puff pieces coming Feigen!

[​IMG]

LuXuRy TaX hAs NeVeR cOmE uP
    tHaT hAd No BeArInG wHaTsOeVeR

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I read that article in the paper this morning and the BS flag popped right up before my eyes. What made it worse was him talking about how we will soon be able to see everyone healthy in our starting lineup with 3 guards. Oh how I hate everyone thinking Gordon should play the roll of a forward and start with 3 guards. Our coach and owner seem to agree there, which is very worrying to me. Get us a real starting forward you cheapskate.

20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Right now I think we have like the 21st pick . It's not a top 10 , but it's not like 28/29 either .

Also , getting BK off the books now is stupid unless you are getting a good player back for him . I guess shump is the best we could do .

BK will be a good asset next year as his contract will be expiring.

Players traded for expiring contracts Or had an expiring contract come back as part of the package include ....

Porzingis , porter , and Tobias Harris .

We gave up a lot of future value to get shumpert .... and also to get under the tax

Corrosion likes this.