1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does the Texans brand mean anything special to you?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Brando2101, Dec 29, 2014.

?

Does the Texans brand mean anything special to you?

1. Yes

34.1%
  2. No

65.9%
  1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, you can't have that name unless McNair buys the Titans and moves them back to Houston, so bickering about this is pointless

... and the old Texans moved to KC and became the Chiefs. (they didn't "lose the right" to play in Dallas).

2. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Which led to the generational growing of their fanbase - you became an Eagles' fan because your father was one as was his father before him. With the Oilers, that didn't happen because they were so awful and such a dysfunctional joke of a team for so many years, many fans left the fold and became Cowboys fans. That jackass of owner did his very best to make such that if you wanted to watch winning football, you had to go watch it in Dallas.

Yeah, like they had a reason to show up to watch the Oilers. I mean they win two games and Bud Adams "demands" that Houston build him a new stadium or he''ll move the team? F that s**t. Don't let the door hit you on your way out a**hole.

3. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

The "brand" of the Texans got me into the NFL honestly. I was a causal watcher but never connected to the game because there was never a local team to cheer for. (I have hard and steady rules about fandom.) I went to the first game against the Cowboys and that forever made me a fan. Even if they continually disappoint........

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

IMO the Oilers died January 3 1993 and they should stay dead.

5. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Which is why I asked in my first post, why we didn't get the name, was it unavailable? Wouldn't pay? Wouldn't sell?

It's not bickering, it's discussing our thoughts on the team name. Just because it is set in stone that we are the Texans, doesn't mean we can't express our thoughts on that decision.

I read that the Texans and Cowboys actually played a game for the rights to be the Dallas professional team. Is that not true?

6. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

?? Just because we don't like the name Texans doesn't mean we don't love the team. I just think and always will think the name is lame. I would much prefer a name that means something to the city. I feel like the Oilers was a perfect name for Houston, a city built on the oil industry.

I am a traditionalist. I would prefer the Jazz return to New Orleans, and Utah burns in hell. I would prefer the Lakers return to Minneapolis, but only so Kobe has to retire in hell. I like team names that represent the area.

Also, the Lakers are global brand not only because they win, but because they are in LA. The exposure goes a longggg way. How successful has GreenBay been? Pretty darn successful, but they aren't a world wide favorite, are they? No, because it's a small market. Probably the most successful small market team in the US.

Point being, winning is not the only thing that helped the Lakers. Obviously they wouldn't be the brand they are today had they not won, but location played a key factor in their success. They should be called the LA Showboats. Or simply the LA Kobes.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It was Bud Adams' team... he formed it... he helped name it... and he took it with him. They were actually the Tenessee Oilers for 1-2 years before somebody finally told Bud he'd make more money with a re-brand (as the potential profits for a team in the backwoods of Tennessee need some help to get maximized).

Sorry, but it comes across as bickering... especially since there was never a chance to keep the name to begin with, and there's no chance now it will ever change from Texans. I bled columbia blue... but once they were gone, I got over it (and the Texans arriving helped with that even more).

Never heard that. Dallas Texans won the 1962 AFL championship and moved to KC the following year and became the Chiefs.

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

The brand itself IS something to me, because this is the team I've followed since their birth, and the one for which I will cheer until I die.

I've been here for the bad times and for the good times, no matter who's QB, RB, head coach, waterboy, or GM (although I hate the current GM). :eek:

We need a LONG streak of good seasons to wash away the bad taste of 2-14s and consecutive losing seasons out of our mouths. :eek:

This.

I have no love for an ex-girlfriend, no matter in what circumstances she left. :mad:

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Why would they? The move to Tennessee had already been announced.

10. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I understand he owned it, I forgot that they didn't change immediately, but that doesn't mean that they can't ATTEMPT to buy the rights. Or that he even OWNED the rights. For instance, Seattle owns the jersey and name rights to the SuperSonics. I didn't know if Bud Adams owned the name, and if he did, was it ever a consideration to use that name (by attempting to purchase it?).
    But no one is demanding, insinuating, or suggesting that we should change the name right now. Simply discussing the past and the decision to name the team the Texans. OP asked if the Texans brand means anything special to us. I am basically saying the name means nothing to me, because I was never a fan of it, but the team does.

I am a Texans fan first, then a Packers fan, and I don't care about anyone else. It would be that way if they named us the Houston Fatties.
    I'm probably wrong, but I'll search for something in case I got any of that story correct.

11. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Exactly. Houston no longer needed to associate itself with that franchise.

Of course he owned the rights too, it was not like the Seattle situation. Which is why they get to wear the colors and throwback jerseys, own the history and retired Warren Moon's jersey. Bud wasn't going to give up the rights to "his team". I don't think getting the Oilers name back was an option with Bud Adams still at the helms at that time.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

wouldabeen23 and Red.Glare like this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Should the Colts return their history to Baltimore?

14. raining threes

The Texans brand means mediocrity.

Yes

15. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They should return that name to Houston...though I would rather keep the Texans name and logo going forward.
    Honor the history and players who put on for this city and maybe have a throwback game where the team wears the Columbia Blue jerseys....but maintain the Texans name and logo mark. Despite what you think about the name that logo mark is still one of the best in the NFL.

16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I would love to return the name and history to Houston, then, change the Texans color scheme to include Columbia Blue as a secondary color, and maybe replace the white with silver or gold.

Problem is, you'd risk looking like the Titans then.

I don't mind what we have now, it's just very vanilla in an attempt to seem classic, but it's not.

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The McNairs will NEVER change the colors or the name back to Oilers. Oilers are for the memories, just enjoy those.

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Most you have no Perspective. Go look how long it took teams to first reach a Super Bowl. Look at the Browns. Yes, they have an NFL Championship, but never made the Superbowl. Look how long it took the Saints, Seahawks, Jags have never made it, Patriots, long gap for the Packers, Bengals, Falcons, Bucs. Long drought for the Chiefs, Long Gap for the Bears and Jets. How long it to the Chargers. Look how long it took the Bills....and their playoff drought after. Look how long it took the Cards to make the Superbowl. The Texans are only going into what, their 15th season? Some don't understand that the Texans were given disadvantages coming into the league (because of the Jags and Panthers). Browns had the same disadvantages. Getting to the Superbowl is HARD.

19. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

While there are fans out there with unrealistic goals for this current build, most just want to go into a game against other playoff contenders and not feel like we need a higher power to intervene for us to have a chance to win. Sure it takes a long time...but this defense is highly eligible and the offense is highly suspect af. Fix the QB and OL...SuperBowl 52 bound.

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The NFL is easiest of the major pro sports league to turn it around. It has the most turnover since NFL careers are about three years. There is a hard cap so one team can't spent 100 million more than you. Also unlike the NBA where there are only handful of superstars you can win with you can win with a good QB and good supporting cast.