1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does the Texans brand mean anything special to you?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Brando2101, Dec 29, 2014.

?

Does the Texans brand mean anything special to you?

1. Yes

34.1%
  2. No

65.9%
  1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I feel its far more disappointing to go into the playoffs as a favorite... and still come up short.

The Oilers had the most talented team in the AFC cumulatively from 91-94.... and won one playoff game.

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

You sound like a great friend.

Personally not a huge fan of the name and colors because their too cliché but I don't hate them. Bottom line they represent my city so they are my team.

BigShasta likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's crazy that some people still think back on the Oilers fondly given that all they ever did was choke and be "mediocre" (according to the definition used by the super awesome "Texans fans" here).....they then went on to move to the sticks and become a total train wreck of a franchise that made even expansion teams look awesome.

Creepy Crawl likes this.
  4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Exactly the Oilers/Titans have as many SB Championships as the Texans despite 33 year(since NFL) headstart.

Also I would say that the Texans are closer to a SB than the Titans are at the moment but they are gaining fast.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

**** the Oilers. **** the Titans. I look fondly back at my childhood, and remember the good times I had at the Astrodome watching Warren Moon throw dimes all over the field, but that's where it ends. Once they left my city, they were no longer my team. Period.

Creepy Crawl, mikol13, leroy and 3 others like this.
  6. PhiSlammaJamma

I'm a Titans fan, and the current brand is blah. The Texans brand had me for the first year, but it since dropped off. The old Oilers brand I think has a strong following and I would love to see it again. The Rockets brand is my favorite, love it. The Astros brand ironically is best tied to the rainbow, but I did like the Brick, and the blue and gold too.

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Honestly, anybody that's rooting for a team because of the brand is probably only interested in what they look like walking around in the hat/jersey anyways.

Creepy Crawl and Bobbythegreat like this.
  8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

It may be the easiest, still not easy. As for QB....in the AFC, Brady, Manning, or Big Ben (Flacco and Gannon being the outliers) have been in the Superbowl in the last 16 years. You have to have an ELITE QB. How many teams have those?

macho GRANDE likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Yep, I could really not care less either way. Laundry is laundry, I root for the city/team/players.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I knew it wouldn't be long before this narrative popped back up. It doesn't matter how many SB's prove it wrong, if you have one that supports it then it comes back full strength.

11. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I grew up with the Oilers, but once they left us I was ready for a new name. I was born and raised on Texas Ave, Texas City, TX so having my football team called the Texans is fine by me.

12. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

That's not really the same thing. Adams dumped the Oilers name as soon as he had this stadium there as oppose to the Colts who are obviously still using the name.

I think there are a couple ways to look at it. The first is from a purely look and moniker standpoint. I've always thought Oilers was a more unique and fitting name then Texans. I don't like how the Kansas City Chiefs used to be the Dallas Texans. Oilers is cooler and the color scheme is more unique and nicer. This is an opinion.

In terms of the history,
    Let's remember that the Oilers won 2 AFL Championships. I always thought it was questionable while those weren't counted as concurrent championships with the Eagles and Packers of the NFL considering the leagues merged as equals. Still, the Oilers weren't exactly a beacon of success but they still had a history that spanned 35 years. That counts for something. The thing that stands out the most was the 7 straight playoff appearances in the last 80s and early 90s. They only made the playoffs 3 times outside that span for a total of 10 appearances while in the NFL. (42%)

What about the Texans. They have been pretty decent in the last 10 years. They are 17th in the NFL in wins at 82-78. The've won their division 4 out of the last 6 years which is something to be proud of despite the questionable quality of the division given that half the teams have been among the worst in the NFL. Still, playoffs is the playoffs and we are very lucky to have a team that wins games.

Overall, neither really blow you away in terms of the argument. I would certainly feel differently if the Texans had won a Super Bowl or maybe even made it there. However, the fact I wouldn't miss the name Texans says a lot to me. I should say that I only went to 1 Oilers game and was only 10 when they left. Interpret that as you wish.

vinsensual likes this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

First of all, it's exactly the same thing.

The Colts had a pretty good run in Baltimore as well....much better than the Oilers had in Houston.

I think the fact that they use the same name is actually more painful for former Baltimore Colts fans.

Adams "dumping" the name was just as much a cash grab/marketing ploy as the short sighted relocation to begin with.

It's telling that the franchise value has continued to decline, while the Texans brand has continued to rise. The Adams will have ended up blowing a huge opportunity cost by having their team in Nashville as opposed to Houston.

14. TheMountainTop

The colors aren't bad and the logo is cool.

I never liked the name from the get go for multiple reasons.
    - I don't think its fare to call the players on the team "Texans" if they aren't from Texas.
    - Also I would find it hard to get behind saying I were a Texan if I wasn't from here. It would make me feel like I didn't belong and that I was in the wrong place.
    - The name had already been used before on a team that used to play in Dallas.

The "Oilers" was a great name and made sense but we couldn't have that back.

To me the only name thats worse is the Browns.

The Texans should rebrand while they are still the youngest franchise in the league.

They should also get rid of those awful bloody red tampon alternative jerseys that they wear for battle red day.

Couldn't they have come up with something better ****! Like The Armadillos or Cottonmouths or some **** pertaining to the natural environment or industry of the city.

BigShasta likes this.
  15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

But would it be fair to call them Armadillos if they're not... Armadillos?

Doesn't seem to bother the millions of Yankee fans the world over....

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

I don't know what you're discussing but this was hilarious

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Always thought the name, logo, and unis were too generic. Wonder what other names were being considered. And even though they'll never bring them back, the Oilers logo and uniforms were as iconic as they come.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Oiler logo is. The colors? Not so much... The Oilers' name stands for disappointment. It deserves to be in the past. McNair will never change the team name to that. Texans is the name.....better get used to it. The only reason people crap on the name is they haven't won or reached a SuperBowl. The team is only 15 years old.

19. joeson332

joeson332 Member

I'm only 26, I am so glad I never cared for the Oilers.

20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Can't think of another franchise that had an era named after their color. I know McNair won't change the name and I honestly don't care, doesn't mean I can't think it's generic. That's like saying the only reason why we crap on the Rockets uni is because we haven't won a championship in them.