1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does the Texans brand mean anything special to you?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Brando2101, Dec 29, 2014.

?

Does the Texans brand mean anything special to you?

1. Yes

34.1%
  2. No

65.9%
  1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

As much as I hate them all there's zero wrong with Mavericks/Rangers/Cowboys in the same city...even though they all describe pretty much the same genre.

I preferred Apollos. I preferred the space theme, if we couldn't keep the Oilers colors/logo/history, etc. I think Texans is weak and lazy. It's shooting for the lowest common denominator, and echoed Bob's comments of "we''ll let the Cowboys be America's Team..we wanna be Texas' team." I'd rather be more reflective of the city than the state. The rest of the state can kiss my ass if they wanna root for other teams. This state is too big for that. I feel the same way about the Arlington Rangers being branded as Texas' team.

It's all subjective, Bobby. It's all personal preference.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

There's more to a brand than just winning.

The Astros haven't won crap...but when Crane floated the idea of changing their name, people flipped out. Public opinion polls in the Chronicle overwhelmingly showed that people here felt endeared to that brand. To the point where the franchise ended up adopting its earliest roots with its change in colors and logo.

The Maple Leafs have been a joke. But they're iconic in Toronto and throughout Canada.

As someone else said earlier...that's largely a product of time...and teams being handed down from generation to generation. I didn't grow up with the Texans...but my kid did...and he may have kids one day he passes that down to. Then it seems to mean more. I would have preferred that continuity for pro football in Houston, but Bud wouldn't have allowed it anyway.

3. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

The Saturn 5 is a rocket. "Apollo" is what the missions to the moon were called which is still the most fantastic feat that humanity has ever achieved. I don't know how you can live in Houston and not know the difference.

Read a book bobby.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Dallas. Suck for a decade. #1 in profit.

Eagles, Vikings - no titles. Diehard fanbases.

Spurs, a million titles, nobody cares.

5. mick fry

mick fry Member

Well then how about the Rocket Booster O Rings? They have been known to fail. I like the fact Bob wants to be Texas's team.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Whatever, it's still a REALLY weak name. The NHL currently has 2, and used to have 1 more team that is essentially a nickname for people from Canada. Canadians, Canucks, and the defunct Nordiques. There's a history of professional sports franchises having similar names so there's nothing wrong with naming a franchise the "Texans", hell there was a "Texans" previously in the NFL.

If HCC wants to start a football program (if they don't have one?) and name it the Apollos, it would probably make sense because they are a Johnny Buckwheat Junior College type of situation, but no professional team should have a weak name like that.

Bringing back the Houston Gamblers name would have been preferable, if you are going to go with a weak ass semi pro name, go with one that has history in the city.

This is part of that "looking for excuses to complain" that I was talking about before. The team greatly exceeded your expectations, so you have to find something else to whine about.

This I agree with completely.

7. Brando2101

Glad to see you take the legitimacy of your posts so seriously. Keep up the good work.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You are focusing on minutiae and ignoring the substance, so what the Apollo program was a rocket mission rather than the name of a rocket, it still sounds like a name only a junior college would roll with and it's still cheesy as hell. It's probably not the worst name they could have gone with, but it would be on the list.

9. Brando2101

Your point was that the two names (Rockets and Apollos) refer to the exact same thing. If you change the argument (which is what you are doing now) to that they both refer to space then Rockets and Astros would have as much in common as Apollos and Rockets.

Bobby, I have addressed this multiple times. Understanding that the Team statistically had the easiest schedule and 67% of their wins came from teams with 4 or less wins is extremely important in understanding where they are as a team. Merely looking at their record represents a lack of understanding of how the NFL schedule works and is also a clear case of denial.

#149 Brando2101, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's funny that I tried to explain the whole "easy schedule" thing to you in the pre-season and you weren't having any of it. Now that they've greatly exceeded your expectations (which were made knowing the schedule), it doesn't matter that they won more than twice as many games as you were expecting because they had an easy schedule.....again, going out of your way to complain.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Also, let's not get this twisted, you were the one that had no clue where the Texans were as a team and I argue that you don't have any better idea now. I had a much better understanding of where they were as a team because I expected 8 wins with a shot at 10 and that's just about how they performed. You, knowing the schedule, thought they'd win 4 games all year. Wouldn't you describe that as being in denial about the quality of the team in comparison to those they played this season?

12. mick fry

mick fry Member

Not to mention other than the Giants game, the Texans were in every game they lost and a couple were just giveaways. That says alot about the coaching staff and the direction this team is headed.

13. Brando2101

Thank god the board has bobby and his massive intellect.

Do you keep track of other teams' almost wins?

14. Remii

Remii Member

That was the same song when the Texans went 2-14... When the pendulum swings it hardly ever swings to far in either direction in the NFL. But I agree great job by the coaching staff. Particularly Romeo.

15. mick fry

mick fry Member

Yeah the defense was the surprise for me, I just knew the secondary was gonna get torched and it would be tough to match that with our offense but they did ok.

16. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

if you search for opinion articles ranking nfl logos, you would be hard pressed to find many with the texans logo not being in the top 10 or at the very least find an opinion that thinks its a bad logo.. it is timeless imo, i believe that the logo will never change, it was that good from the jump.. look at how many teams have changed logos over and over yet still cant get it right.. i also think its funny when people complain about the uniforms, theyre simple but they look good, you cant teach simplicity. at the same time people rave about iconic uniforms like the cowboys, steelers, raiders, and packers and those unis are very simple.. people want some outlandish nonsense with shiit everywhere you end up with unis like the cardinals, falcons, and jags..

17. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

liked this better than the aeros tbh..

[​IMG]

18. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Why people say the Texans logo is not creative, I really like the logo.
    what about the browns logo, its just a orange helmet, how creative is that? but you dont hear browns wanting to change the logo.

19. Remii

Remii Member

I think Cleveland used a dog at one point... Organizations that been around for that long may change their logos.

I think the Texans logo and colors are great. I don't see how anyone can complain about anything other than the name.

20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Nuff said