1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DeAndre Hopkins starts holdout

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by tellitlikeitis, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a> officially placed DeAndre Hopkins on the Reserve/did not report list.</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/759494477501243393">July 30, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He's gonna cost himself a LOT of money if he doesn't report soon.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

What indicates his asking price isn't extremely high?

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe they should put it into terms he understands and tell him how many purses and terrible looking clothes he could buy with the money he'll lose if he doesn't show up this week.

4. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Idk the ins and outs but with 2 years left.....seems like he would have to accept a lesser deal than if he holds out next offseason. He wants to be the highest paid anything it's probably not happening...

Rick smith is trash, has been, will be.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm sure his athletic apparel deal will be coming soon regardless.

6. HTOWNTAKEOVER

HTOWNTAKEOVER Member

pay the man...i swear on my momma i hate rick smith and this organization.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Is the first real holdout the Texans have dealt with?

8. conquistador#11

you might want to go back in time and become a boston fan. but make sure you get the right year, because prior to the 2000s they were S***.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That depends on what you mean by "real holdout", Andre Johnson's holdout was real, it's just that he had no leverage the last time. DeAndre has more than Dre did, but he's still standing on REALLY weak ground given that the Texans can have him under team control for this year and 3 more if they want to.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Nah, if you want players to get paid, you'd HATE the New England system, they dump people right and left.

11. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

we're going to lose him...

it was fun while it lasted!

12. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I'd have to disagree with his assessment of being underpaid. 1 year the whole team was ****h, 1 year he was still the number 2 WR and 1 year he blew up because they had no one else. I'm a fan of his play, don't get me wrong but I don't think he's got a strong case for holding out. I mean you can make it known that you want more, who doesn't? Just don't think he's got much leverage against the team and holding out of practice is going to slow down what would give him nearly ALL the leverage...1 more year of last year's type of play (I don't think the numbers will be there like they were last year, unless everything they built this season flops and he's the only weapon again....unlikely)

13. MystikArkitect

Owners make money hand over fist at the expense of these guys bodies and brains. Hop goes out there and gets injured? Loses millions. His value is at an all time high and he is leveraging appropriately.

Someone should ask Bob if he feels that selling his company to Enron would've worked out better if they had asked him to wait a little bit.

Get your cash Nuk, I aint mad at cha.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well teams have to be smart about managing the salary cap.

That said, if Nuke has his best year ever next year (which wouldnt be a surprise) it might be smart to lock him up now anyway

15. Bandwagoner

So is it confirmed the hit will be $40K a day and $445k on Aug 4th? If so, this will be a short hold out.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's under team control for as much as 4 more years. If he leaves in 2020 then hopefully it won't be that much of a blow by then. Honestly though, this isn't that big a deal and IMO it won't last very long, he doesn't want to lose like half a million dollars for holding out even a week.

17. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Time for the Will Fuller show. :) :cool:

18. Bandwagoner

Huge difference in training indoors and lifting weights compared to running drills in 96 degree heat in the sun.

19. texian

texian Member

If this is true, if Texans are just stonewalling DHop...

I'm on his side.

If they have had negotiations -- which I had the impression there were some -- and CAA is asking for a contract north of Megatron's I think that's too much.

I'm sure CAA wants biggest current WR contract bragging rights. One way agents use certain athletes is to get landmark deals they can show to other players they want to represent.

But when you've got a player who's quantifiably in the top 4 at his position after 3 years, he's played his way into a premature second payday.

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Don't expect Texans to play ball with DeAndre Hopkins in terms of giving him new deal now. He'll likely get it after this year (4th season)</p>&mdash; Lance Zierlein (@LanceZierlein) <a href="https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/status/759527800508252160" data-datetime="2016-07-30T23:15:13+00:00">July 30, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Giving Hopkins a new deal after just three years opens a door most teams don't want to open. Not really about Hopkins play or value</p>&mdash; Lance Zierlein (@LanceZierlein) <a href="https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/status/759528444187119616" data-datetime="2016-07-30T23:17:47+00:00">July 30, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>