1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

DeAndre Hopkins starts holdout

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by tellitlikeitis, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

He has never proven that. He is really over rated by fans. He had an insane number of targets that he turned in to 300 less yards than Julio or Brown. It is also a fallacy that playing with a backup or replacement QB hurts just for that reason, they are more likely to run home to mama and throw it to the first option.

He is awesome. He is worth more money. But I have seen people type he is arguably the best etc.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

This will end poorly for DeAndre.

He won't get a contract extension.

He'll end up falling behind in camp.

He'll have a down year.

He'll end up with a less leverage than what he started with.

Only position in the NFL that can successfully hold out is the QB.

3. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

Same amount of targets as Antonio Brown and JJ but I do agree he is a class below them and ODB. Still a top 5 WR though.

4. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Hopefully this doesn't turn out like Dunta Robinson's last years with the Texans.

5. Dash

Dash Member

Bet they wish they could draft Josh Doctson now lulz. We drafted Fuller on the precedent that he was the perfect compliment to Hopkins. I was pretty optimistic about the upcoming season but with Watt's injury and Hop's holdout, literally the worst two possible things that could happen, happen right before training camp. This offense is literally nothing without him - Fuller or Strong as your #1 WR heading into the season? Jesus what a **** show

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They have him under team control for 4 more years if they want.....is Nuk going to throw away 4 years of his prime? I doubt it. This holdout will end quickly.

Also, the Texans have tons of weapons on offense, Nuk is awesome, but he's not the whole offense.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This makes it sound like it will end poorly for the Texans.

Pay the man

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Our Superbowl plans are ruined! :(

9. Dash

Dash Member

I hope you're right but I feel like the Texans organization is too proud to give in so quickly. Hope I'm wrong because we need him. You can't say we have a ton of weapons though, I'll give you Lamar Miller but even he can't make that much of an impact when there is no passing game. You can't really honestly believe that Fuller, Strong, and Braxton will make that much of an impact without him, do you?

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They probably won't give in, he will. He has very little leverage and stands to lose a LOT of money if he keeps holding out for even a week.

11. Dash

Dash Member

I'm sure his representation believes otherwise lol. Hopkins didn't leave his previous agency and hire the big dogs for nothing. 40K a day is nothing compared to what he could make. I'm certain this will be solved but I don't think its gonna happen as quick as you think.

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

What 7 pages in, and no post yet from from Hey Now down-grading the receiver position in general as being overrated flash-over-substance and would rather have a premiere cornerback than premiere WR anyway?

13. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I generally want to see the player get paid. This is a brutal sport and these guys have the worst contracts among the top sport leagues. But I totally understand if the Texans stand their ground so as to not open that can of worms.

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

one thing I'm hearing mentioned is that a better QB that distributes the ball combined with a better overall receiving corps, is going to reduce Hopkins' targets and overall stats (except perhaps efficiency)

and so that may hurt his future contract value, so he's pushing for something now

15. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Nuk's gonna get paid...he really just needs to focus on remaining healthy this season and getting reps with his QB. Yes it stinks that the Rookie is gonna get a bigger contract than a proven 3 year vet...but Bob McNair...pays his stars. He has done it before and will do it again with Hopkins.

16. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

That makes sense. I'm KINDA with Bandwagoner saying how Hopkins WAS the sure thining security blanket for all the different QB's. Its simply the more targets the more numbers. Remember when little Case Keenum came in and Andre Johnson's TDs and stats fattened up? Keenum actively looked for AJ while Schaub went with the open reads. Its kinda like having 3 different Keenums reliant on the dependable target

That said what D Hop did was HISTORICAL, its no small feat. And Hopkins caught more balls in traffic and on the sideline with the SMALLEST windows than I can remember a receiver doing for a while. Its not like the other teams didnt know he was coming, he just out-talented the focus. Thats pretty much what a top flight #1 receiver is all about. (And Aaron Rodgers shouldnt have gotten Hopkins head all big with his comments lol)

17. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

18. 713

713 Member

This could last longer than everyone expects, CAA is a huge agency and will front Hopkins with money for all the fines and missing days. They know a huge pay day is coming for Hop and they want a cut.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I could understand this but . . . . earlier in the thread someone said they did it for WATT and MERCILUS

The door is already open

Rocket River

20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Some people say that, but the flip side is that a better quarterback gets the ball to him in a more catchable way.

On last year's team, with a better QB, and the same number of targets, he probably catches 20 more balls.

He had more TDs than Brown, and more YPC. He had 25 less receptions. If he played with one QB, even, with the same number of targets, he's right up there with Brown, in terms of season quality.