1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Royce White practice footage + media session after 1st Rockets practice

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 8, 2012.

1. liveguy

liveguy Member

He will probably rent buses in certain areas when he needs them...

Example: fly into LA....Clips one night..Laker next....rent a bus...ride to Sac, then GS, then Portland....then fly back to houston, etc.

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Looks like he could bring the ball up and run plays himself.

He also pushes the ball up the court really well.

He reminds me of a PF version of Lowry, without a reliable jumpshot. A little undersized for a PF, but can do a bit of everything on the court and takes advantage of his strength.

3. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

He looks the part and gives good interviews. The reality of it is that this team is rebuilding, and only a few of the young pieces we have drafted the past couple years will stay on our roster by the time we get a superstar and can really amass our forces around him. Whether it's White, Jones, Patterson, or even Morris, we'll find out this year and the next.

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Boy, o boy, o boy.....

This kid is superalented. In my opinion, the most talented player on this roster. Every time I see him play he shows something special. That pass, nobody else on this roster could make that pass, just slipping it in there so quick. He's got special talent.

If....Royce can harness his shooting, and:

1. get up to 80% from the line
    2. move his range back to the 3 (I absolutely hate that 19 footer he took even though he hit it)
    3. keep his turnovers
    4. control the anxiety

he will be the best player on this current team.

As much as you guys like TJones, TJones is just not special like Royce is. Royce has special talent. It will show when they are actually playing real games against real teams.

5. teebone21

teebone21 Member

jumping to conclusions? he is matched up against PJ3 on wednesday so lets see how me measures against a taller more athletic matchup

6. alethios

alethios Member

Probably not, mainly because it's preseason, so OKC will trot out their new players/training camp invitees, etc. Don't expect this to represent what the regular season will look like, based on some of the recent blowouts against Miami and LA in preseason openers.

7. jopatmc

No, not at all. PJIII will always be a complementary player. He doesn't have the bball aptitude to be more than that...no matter how athletic he is.

8. cbk41

cbk41 Member

Attended Baylor for 3 years. I think being in a true professional environment will help him reach his potential and develop that killer instinct. I know that has been said about a lot of developmental players, but his personality, in my opinion, will really lend well to the added pressure of being a professional.

9. tofu--

tofu-- Member

Actually really liked how frank he was about everything. McHale's old-schoolness bleeds through during these.

10. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I didn't pickup any sarcasm,sounded like real talk to me :confused:

Even if there was,who could fault him .. The kid he hyped up and stood behind didn't honor his obligations.

11. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

I feel the same way, and I am JLin fan. Royce White has a huge potential and talent. He could develop into a special player. He also has a high basketball IQ.

12. jopatmc

He may be a true professional. But he will always be a complementary player. PJIII does not have the basketball IQ (aptitude) to be a superstar. It's just not there in his gray matter. Sorry. He may be a very good player. He may be a 10-yr starter. (It wouldn't surprise me if he became the starter this year with Serge moving to the middle. Or I wouldn't be surprised if he is closing games with Serge down low.) But he will always have to have someone make plays for him and lead him. He'll always have to play with better players like Durant, Harden, Westbrook, and Serge...to be at his best. If you make PJIII the best player on the team, the team is going to the lottery, plain and simple. I'll be able to say that 5 or 10 years from now too, not just today. PJIII is a complementary player. He may be an absolutely sensational complementary player...maybe as good as Robert Horry in time or whatever other sensational complementary player you can think of. But he's a complementary player.

Royce, on the other hand, has special talent. And by that I mean he's got physical tools but more importantly...he's got a tremendous basketball mind and vision. He has the POTENTIAL to be a top 10 player in this league. Now, whether he will achieve that is just a guess at this point. He's got to overcome his share of challenges.

13. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

Royce like Lin has a high BBALL IQ....thats a huge advantage....

His Elite

- post defender
    - rebounder
    - Passer/point play
    - plays with heart

being elite in those 3 is enough to start in the nba...even if outside shot is average..

14. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

If you can do 1 thing elite then you can make NBA roster e.g novak

Royce has 3 areas that are elite

15. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

Its funny that your name is trueroxfan but you don't know when the team first preseason game is....its Wednesday...two days away against OKC

16. hoopstar39

hoopstar39 Member

he definitely looks like a small forward

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Here's Jason Friedman's take on KMac's sarcasm:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet tw-align-left" data-in-reply-to="255427593262735361" width="350"><p>@<a href="https://twitter.com/dhylnp">dhylnp</a> His sarcasm came into camp in tremendous shape. Lost 15 pounds, but leaner, more muscular. Could be career year.</p>&mdash; Jason Friedman (@RocketsJCF) <a href="https://twitter.com/RocketsJCF/status/255428033744359424" data-datetime="2012-10-08T22:02:43+00:00">October 8, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

With the new haircut, RW looks like Vin Diesel;)

19. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

Royce White is an elite defender? Doesn't seem like it in that clip when he practically stood there while Patterson got the offensive rebound and putback attempt (which he blew by his own fault)

20. amaru

amaru Member

Maybe he's busy at work?