1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Royce White practice footage + media session after 1st Rockets practice

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Are you being sarcastic or did you intend to embed a different video?

2. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

What's your next response to my post: this post is just fiction? I had good laugh though :)

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Is that what you want to hear or is that is that what you think he should say to keep the peace?

Look the guy is a rookie with baggage. Lets call a spade a spade. He's either going to be good enough to play through the baggage or he's not. We've seen the Rockets go through guys like T-Will & T-Mac post knee surgery enough to know that the player can say whatever they want, but at the end of the day they aren't going to play them any mor or any less based on it. You got to show up on the court to make it on this team.

Based on what McHale said, he probably wouldn't even play at this point anyways(in a pre-season game mind you), so whats the point of even bringing him along or Royce faking like he gives a damn??? He's going to get another couple weeks of practices to see if he can break through as a rotation player who deserves playing time first.

If he doesn't bust his tale enough to earn rotation minutes then its down to the Valley for the first half of the season most likely, and the media folks aren't going to be in a huge hurry to head down there for an interview about mental health.

4. VanityHalfBlack

5. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

All I'm saying is a little humbleness wouldn't hurt. I mean, doesn't he realise that he has a lot to make up with missing five crucial days? I respect him for being real, but the whole I don't care either way and I'm ready now won't serve you well. Even yesterday he said they only put in 5 plays so he didn't miss that much. Now I'm guessing he's really bright and probably already understand the plays but still you shouldn't just act like missing training camp is nothing.

6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

You are making stuff up.

No part in that interview does he suggests that he "doesn't care".

In fact, no part in that interview does he ever say "I don't care".

7. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

If I were him i'd worry about making the rotation before making requests.

For all he knows he'll end up in RGV.

8. tofu--

tofu-- Member

I dunno for certain but it seems like his left hand leaves the ball too late.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Right you are

10. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

i think with his anxiety.. he has to be positive... and not make a big deal out of his situation as that causes more anxiety...

he has to be confident...may seem cocky....

at the end of the day this is not a big issue once the games start

11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I really hate this situation with Royce White. I have mixed feelings about the current situation because on the one hand, I do understand what he might be going through but on the other hand, I really don't feel he is really trying to face his treatment full force.

I use to struggle heavily with anxiety issues, it was really bad during my high school and college years. I did a whole lot of therapy because I refused to take any meds. Overall, what I learned in therapy is that I had to face my fears. Part of my fear was actually talking about what made me anxious in the first place, but I eventually overcame that hurdle. I do agree with Royce though, you have to have some sort of routine to your lifestyle in order to slowly overcome these type of issues. Personally, during my college years, I made a huge effort to keep my room clean, try to prepare all my things at night for what I would do the next day and try to go to bed early. I know these sound really simple, but it really started making a world of difference in how I felt.

I am actually quite happy that the Rockets are going to accommodate Royce as far as riding the bus. When I was in high school, I had a couple of teachers that knew about my condition and they would be okay when I would step out of the classroom for a few minutes, sometimes longer, so I could go calm myself down. I tried my best not to do it often and as time went by, I would try to calm myself in the classroom, even though I would lose focus and not learn anything that day, but it was important that I didn't rely on leaving all the time to calm myself.

For Royce, I really don't like how he mentioned that he still didn't know whether he would travel with the team to Hidalgo or not. I think he needs to go ahead and make the trip with the team even if he doesn't play. He needs to learn to confront his fear of flying and simply just go for it. This would be a relatively short trip and I feel it would be a positive for his healing to ride the plane.

I really do hope Royce finds his way and stays in the NBA, not only because he is a Rocket, but because I can relate to what he might be going through right now. One thing I will say is that all the posters that think he should stop being a big baby and be a man, it's not really about that. Anxiety disorder is a real mental disease, but unfortunately, for many of us, because of the lack of understanding from those around us, it really hurts to open about what we feel. I know I always had a hard time explaining to my friends and family what I felt. Thankfully, most of them eventually understood what I was going through and that really helped me out through my healing process. I definitely had it pretty bad, I called an ambulance a few times and made it to the emergency room a lot. I always hated the feeling of knowing I was wasting people's time since nothing was wrong with me, but as I said eventually I learned to cope with my disease.

2 people like this.
  12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

...and your question was???

13. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

Good post Elpigto.

14. marothisu

marothisu Member

This is very old news. He's been saying this type of stuff for well over a year. Just because you have other interests doesn't mean you aren't going to lay it on the floor. His plans go further. He plans on using the money he gets from playing basketball to help other people out in not ideal situations. That's one thing he means by "other interests." Old news though.

15. kent335

kent335 Member

Congratulations Royce, you pulled a fast one over your General Manager just like me.

P.S. I am sure you will earn your contract just like how I earned my contract!

Ryan Leaf

16. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

I like that every time he got a rebound, McHale can be heard telling him to push it up the floor, encouraging him to get used to that.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

My first reaction on watching the first vid was "who's that guy taking the ugly jumpshot in the first video?" then the sad realization that Kevin Asset Martin is still on the Rockets and has not been monetized.

18. rockets88MT

rockets88MT Member

Man I hope Royce gets it together cause he can be an awesome player for us. Hopefully one day we look back at this and laugh! :eek:

19. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

Royce is the x factor,....

dude plays like no other at his size .... besides lebron.....

20. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Yea ...he looked awesome out there tonight .... a lesser lebron

:rolleyes: