1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] For Rockets, pushing Parsons to early free agency suddenly makes sense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Sep 10, 2013.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Well Parsons is part of a pretty good core. I think the Rockets should do any and everything they can to keep him. I say the sooner they can get him resigned the better.
    Good read.

2. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Every measure that I can find values Parsons as an exact average SF in the NBA. He should in theory be worth 6-7 million a year. But he does have a couple of factors in his favor. He only just completed his second year in the NBA, but he is already 25 years old. The second is that he will always be the most popular member of any roster in the NBA.

There is also a reasonable chance he scores ~20 ppg next season. He shot ~50% in corner threes last season, and with the SF leaving him to cut off Hardens dribble penetration he might just get 3 more corner treys a game next season. However my guess that the defense will rotate off of our PF in the far corner, hoping he can cover Howard while the center stops Hardens penetration. Should be interesting.

3. davesmall

davesmall Member

Chandler Parsons

I think Chandler Parsons improved a lot last seasons. Toward the end of the season he was looking like a potential future all star. Chandler does a lot for the team and is good for the locker room. The sooner they get him locked in for the long haul the better. Don't even think about trading him or letting him get away in free agency.

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Not until June 30, 2014 (I think).

My guess is that Morey will negotiate with Parsons and Fegan on a reasonable long-term deal BEFORE the option exercise date. If the parties are far apart by that date, then Morey may elect to exercise the option and keep Parsons under contract for a mere $964,750 ($624,771 of which will have already been guaranteed as of January 1, 2014, mind you).

However, if the sides are within the same ballpark by late June, I could see Morey declining the option on Parsons, with the intent to quickly sign him before he can fully peruse the market for his services. It is on THIS particular point where Morey and Fegan will be butting heads over the next several months IMHO. Morey will insist that a quick signing for an amount the parties all KNOW is a bit less than what he could otherwise get on the market (even the RFA market) is the PRICE for being let out of his contract a year early. Fegan will counter that Parsons's restricted free agent status is adequate enough to make it worth declining the option.

While we may not hear anything about it in the media, I expect there to be a LOT of conversation in the coming months between the Rockets and Chandler Parsons's camp regarding a new contract.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thanks. And missed it.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Don't sleep on Reke. That said, his contract came from left field, i.e. a team that has to overpay to get someone to take their $$$.

7. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Parsons does not strike me as the type to leave a great situation for an extra 20% salary boost. He seems like he is having the time of his life with his 'bros'. He stayed 4 years at Florida (I am not looking at his stats to see his draft prospects). But dont'cha know you don't ever know?

8. NotChandlerParsons

Yeah but all it takes is one GM with an itchy trigger finger for that to happen.

9. NotChandlerParsons

Cool, thanks.

I just hope it remains amicable all the way through. We know Morey and Fegan are really good at getting what they want.

10. kcd

kcd Member

Why would Lin or Asik sign for less though? IF they improve their games as much as Parsons in a few years, they will also command the same salary as Parsons.

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Tyreke is not comparable to Chandler.

Tyreke got his money because he's still seen as the kind of player that's explosive and i don't necessarily mean physically. He's a player that's shown star flashes, and although we may think it's fool's gold, teams overvalue that. They hope he's just going to "get it" one day or that they can help him do it.

Parsons, despite some break out games, is still seen closer to a young Battier-level player.. he's going to have to develop a post move or two or draw more fouls at the rim, if he wants to be seen as a player with the potential to be explosive.

So, i think Chandler will only get around 7-8 million, unless he makes those improvements.

12. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Source?

13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

It was only a rumor. It deserves zero attention or discussion. If Morey is serious about something not associated with a free agent and publicly exposed team presentations, you will never hear anything about it: example - the Harden trade. He runs a tight ship, and as in all of the US, leaking will get you fired.

14. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

If Rockets with all intention of keeping Parsons, the best course for both sides to take is NOT to pick up his option. (Posted this a couple months back)

Rockets can "stretch" his contract for an extra year. Instead of paying around 3-year $24M and risk of UFA after 2015, both side can negotiate to a deal for 4-year $25M (w/ team option) after this season. It's the same amount on paper but Parsons can get paid earlier with a guarantee contract against injuries.

For the Rockets? Value beyond $$$: Friendly contract and a trade-able asset.

15. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

I think it's best to make him a RFA this season. It'll lower his value and allow us to make strategical moves the year following in regards to Lin & Asik's contracts.

We still have to worry about the cap, we really do.

16. rogower

rogower Member

It appears to me that there will be at least one team out there who will be willing and able to offer Chandler Parsons if/when he is allowed to hit restricted free agency a lot more than Daryl Morey really wants to pay him. Four years, $48 mil is a hell of a lot of money for Chandler Parsons.

If Morey can get him for something like four years, $32-$36 mil, that's one thing, but what if Parsons isn't amenable to that?

If the two sides are far apart, and it's mid-June 2014, and somebody is offering, say, the #10 overall pick in the 2014 draft for Parsons, doesn't Morey have to think about doing that? If he is liking who expects to be on the board at #10? Why must the "third star" be a veteran? Why can't you flip Parsons for the #10 and then package that pick with other picks/assets to move up a few spots? This seems like a better way of getting your "third star," and a guy on a rookie scale contract is going to be a hell of a lot cheaper than LaMarcus Aldridge or whoever.

17. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Count me as one skeptical of the plan to let Parsons go one year earl to pick restricted over unrestricted free agency. My reasons:

1. It has nothing to do about Parsons' contract. It's about the overall cap flexibility of the entire team. If you keep him cheap one more year, that's one more year to go out and hunt down a third max guy, all the while staying below the lux tax to maintain your wiggle room with trade scenarios.

2. Theoretically by 2015 we will know what we have. Either it's a contender with perennial championship hopes, or it's a disappointment. If we're great, then fantastic for Chandler, he can have whatever he wants, a Batum contract, a Deng contract, it won't matter so long as we keep this core together. Les will be raking in the dough, and he'll see the value in going way over the lux tax for 2-4 years just to keep this potential dynasty going. Mitch Kupchak did this very thing back in 2008, and you know what? It was worth it. Two championships, one or two years of cap hell at the back end. So what. It's still two championships.

3.The later we go over the luxury tax, the further back we'll push that tax escalator. No matter how rich an owner is, eventually he will bend beneath the weight of that tax. Look at the Lakers and the Knicks. If the Rockets are going to commit to being over the tax for an extended period of time, best to have it start in 2015 and not 2014. It extends our championship window by 1 year if you think about it.

Parsons has been a trooper, the biggest advocate the Rockets have had on their roster the past two years. He's been a company man, and he will be handsomely rewarded. Pun intended. But the last step in that process is going to be toeing the company line and maximizing our ceiling by getting in the most talent possible before we commit to going over the luxury tax. Once we do that, we're all in. Chandler can get whatever he wants; we have his bird rights. I would pay 8M annually for him; I would pay 10M; I would pay 14M. Not even kidding. That is what dynasties do. But first we need to become one. So hang in there Chandler.

18. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Great article, but if the same article was posted on BR instead of here you guys would be hating on the source

19. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Reasons I think Parsons will not be offered crazy money if enter FA at 2014.

1) His traditional stats will drop with the additions of Howard and to a lesser extend- Reggie Williams and Ronnie Brewer.
    2) SF is one of the most crowded positions with decent to excellent players.
    3) Parsons may be entering only his 3rd year, but he will be 26 at the start of the 2014 NBA. Just for comparison of age, Durant (1988), George (1990), leonard (1991), Barnes (1992), Batum (1988), Galinari (1988).
    4) Too many good small forward FAs around during the 2014 FA. James, Melo, George ( current all stars), and vets - Pierce, Jefferson and Marion.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Did you see slideshows?

1 person likes this.