1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clemens watch

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by NJRocket, Apr 23, 2007.

1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I figure Roger will be making up his mind over the next 3-4 weeks as to where he will pitch...this could be a good place to post any new Clemens news.

The way I see it so far, we have to be the favorites. As long as we are in the race, he isnt going to get a sweetheart/hometown deal anywhere else. The Yanks are below .500 in a brutal division (although completely capable and likely to turn things around)....and I just dont see him going to the AL to battle AGAINST the Yanks.

Here's to a June Rocket launch.....

2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Spot on.

Furthermore,I don't believe Roger was ever going anywhere else.

His bargaining statements have been duly noted.Now it's time to take the mound.

#2 Plowman, Apr 23, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  3. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I don't think we're giving him much reason to return, personally. His "wasted season" comments about last year are still ringing in my ears. My guess is, it's a marginal lead to retirement, followed by us, followed by the Sox, and then the Yanks. If they weren't struggling, I think that he'd be in Manhatten already.

But who knows. He'll do whatever he decides to do.

Evan

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I couldn't care less anymore. If he comes back to the Astros, fine. Don't give us any of this s*** about wasted seasons. You made the choice to come back and their isn't a person alive that feels bad for you. Quit this drama queen act and play some ball.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Oh please pick us, Roger!!! PLEASE?!?!? We promise to play better just for you!

:rolleyes:

6. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Well I am no "Clemens guy" but the Astros were a joke last season. Other than that crazy final push they played uninspired and underachived. I really have no problem with what Roger said.

If we get him back we still are missing a piece or two so Purpura would need to make a move. If Roger goes to New York or Boston (don't think he will go to Boston) he would be on a team that is good enough right now.

Big plus for Houston will be the fact that the NL=NBA Eastern Conf.

7. russian88

russian88 Contributing Member

He will goto the highest bidder.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

a joke that, over the course of a 162 game season, finished a game behind the eventual World Series Champions.

9. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

they underachived too, good thing they got in because if you get in anything can happen.

You know and I know the Astros should of won the NL central last season but they let game after game get away. I have never seen such a waste of good starting pitching in my entire life of watching baseball.

This season if they get in to me it will be overachiving :)

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

which is why i don't understand the whole part your wrote about the astros still needing more pieces to be "good enough." the astros are absolutely good enough to win the NL Central this year. and then...anything can happen.

i'm far less convinced the Yankees are good enough to win their division than I am the Astros are good enough to win theirs.

11. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

That's a relief considering the Yankees play in the Bronx. :D ;)

12. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

OMG what will we EVER do without "Sir Roger?"

As far as I'm concerned, I hope he goes to the Bronx and plays with his lover Pettitte!! I'm sick of players trying to hold teams hostage! He's not bigger than the game or the Astros. He's just a cog..and an old rusty one at that.

I believe we can get as many wins out of Jennings and Williams as Roger and Andy did last season. As long as Lee continues and Berkman comes around, they will be fine.

Let the Yankees deal with his crap!

13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

So, even if Jennings and Williams could do just as well as Clemens and Pettitte in terms of wins (certainly not performance), the Astros shouldn't seek to get any better? They shouldn't try to improve the team beyond a certain point?

I don't like his attitude either, but the reality is signing Clemens gives you the potential to replace Wandy Rodriguez with a starter with an ERA in the 2s. This team is better off with him on it.

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Not win a playoff series, if history is any indication.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

And if Lidge had not been on the team would have won the division.

:D

DD

16. Major

Major Member

Really? Who would have replaced him? How many games would that pitcher have blown in the 7th or 8th innings? Or would Wheeler have just pitched an extra 60 innings and blown his arm out?

Given Lidge's ERA, he didn't actually blow that many games - certainly not more than the average closer, and probably was about as good as whatever minor league scrub that would have replaced him.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I was making a funny.

DD

18. Enron

Enron Member

We can complain about being 1 game behind St Louis all we want, but bottom line is we lost way too many games last season. The rally at the end of the season was fun until they lost to the braves out of all teams.

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

We've never won a playoff series without Lidge as our closer either. Should we re-insert him back as our closer?

I don't think anyone is saying we won't be better with Roger pitching in place of Wandy. We're just saying no 1 player is bigger than the game. Especially 1 player who doesn't even play in 4/5ths of the games.

I just think this whole "we have to play well so Roger will grace us with His presence for half the season" is kind of offensive. We have to play well so we can go to the playoffs. With or without Roger "The Exalted One" Clemens.

If he plays for us, great. If not, we're still a good team. Good enough to win this division, at least.

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Roger who?

Seriously, the guys on the roster are the ones I am rooting for. Heck, if we... when we... blah blah blah.

Go 'stros!