1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clemens watch

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by NJRocket, Apr 23, 2007.

1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

We have ONE really good, healthy starter right now. ONE. Jennings, as good as he was for a couple of games, is having elbow problems....hopefully they arent of any major consequence. Woody has not been very sharp. Wandy has been ok at best.....and with the exception of last nite, Sampson has looked like he will contribute.

Regardless of what you think of Clemens' MO, negotiating tactics, etc....he would make us BETTER and wouldnt cost us anything on our roster.

I think our offense is at a point where it can and will support a good pitching staff. I think right now, we CAN win the division (I dont see the WC coming from the central this year)...but with Roger, we would be the favorites.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I agree with this.

3. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Well, after seeing the bit on SC regarding how Giambi, et al are phoning him, texting him, etc., the Yanks are a real possibility...I can't imagine that at .500 right now that he's chomping at the bit to come here...We do need him though...

4. MadMax

Then don't tell him the Yankees are 2 games under .500 in a division that's likely gonna require 95-100 wins to win. With a rotation that's currently featuring 3 rookies.

5. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Roger plays here or retires.

No other option are plausible.

In NY or Boston he would have to travel and be away from his family which is something that the Astros can give him. They can't. Roger will get whatever money he wants and NY or Boston can try to outbid all they want. They cannot give him what we can.

6. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

The Yankees are no better an option than the Astros; sure they can put up more runs for him...but they're in a tougher division in a tougher league and have just as suspect pitching staff. Plus they will HAVE to score runs for him because no way he maintains that low ERA over in the AL.

It just makes the most sense for him to come here. If he doesn't wanna tarnish his legacy he'll go to the Astros, where he has a much better chance at personal success (and even team success).

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The Yankees staff when healthy features Mussina, Wang, and Pettitte as its top three. Only one starter on the Astros can top any of those 3 and that's Roy. Hughes is coming up Thursday and is the best prospect (pitching) in baseball. Their staff isn't as suspect, it's just hurt right now.

And yes, they are under .500 but they also have suffered through losing 4 of their first 6 starting pitchers, an overworked bullpen, and injuries to their starting catcher, starting centerfielder and starting leftfielder.

8. MadMax

the team is old. they should expect injury.

the astros, after this road trip, will have played 14 of 16 on the road. with their #2 pitcher hurt.

9. justtxyank

And the Yankees have basically played all year with their ace, their number 2, their number 4 and their number 5 starters injured. Not to mention their starting left fielder, their starting center fielder, and their starting catcher.

I think he stays here in Houston, but the Yankees rotation is not nearly as suspect as the Astros right now.

10. MadMax

as i said before...it doesn't matter who is better...Yanks or Stros. It matters as to which team has a better chance to make the playoffs, according to Roger's comments from last year. Honestly, I think it's a push. The Yanks play in a very tough division and in a league where it is going to take more to win the wild card than it has in the NL over the past few seasons. Looking at the Astros division...it appears to me that if they can be better than the Brewers, they win this division.

11. justtxyank

I'll agree with that.

12. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

that lineup makes me belive the yanks will be fine.

8 straight division titles 9 out of 10.

I think Roger want's to pitch here and win a title for Houston/add to his legend but what it will come down to is who gives him a better shot.

End of the day it's the Yanks, Astros need to get on track asap imo.

13. msn

msn Member

It's ironic, now that Pettitte is a Yankee, to hear folks praising him again.

14. MadMax

how come you and i don't agree on anything baseball related?

15. MadMax

from the same jokers who told us he was damaged goods in 2004! :)

16. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

I've said this before and I'll say it again.

Rocket to New York, and they win it all.

17. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

that could very well happen, and I will blame it on Drayton/Purpura.

Fact-Drayton pays Andy 2 million more for this season + next year player option and we are gauranteed Clemens + Andy is looking good.

Purpura then gives away the starting CF + the best young pitching prospect that has pitched up here (Patton might be a better prospect but Hirsh has starts under his belt. Then Taylor could be used right now instead of Albers/Sampson whatever else they are throwing out there.

*So Pettitte/Clemens/Hirsh/Buckholtz/Willy T for Damaged goods who does not have a contract for next season.

*if Clemens goes to New York

Nice job front office :(

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Wow, you posting something negative about the Astros or Texans. Color me shocked.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

How is what he said negative? It says nothing about the Astros or Texans.

DD

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Uh, it's a negative POV on the chances of Roger returning to the Astros. Not that hard to see.