1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clemens watch

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by NJRocket, Apr 23, 2007.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You are projecting......

:D

DD

2. msn

msn Member

Yeah, especially considering how Clemens has been NAILS his last couple of WS appearances.

3. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Oh wow that's some pretty skewed thinking.

The difference in Pettite was 18 million....that's 18 million for damaged goods.
    Getting Pettite doesn't guarantee getting Roger.

Hirsch may have been a top prospect but he didn't show much in his time in the majors last season...reasonable gamble.

Bucchholz could be used right now instead of whatever we're throwing out there? Well right now Taylor is 1-1 with a 6.35 ERA while Sampson and Albers are 2-1 with a 4.26 (rose dramatically from one bad outing) and 0-0 w/ a 3.00

Our starting CF last year is hitting .192

I'd much rather have Jennings back healthy than have a guy who probably never truly wanted to be here in the first place, is in the twilight of his career and has a history of arm problems in Pettite.

Clemens will not be a savior for this team...which is why they didn't bank on him from the getgo this season. Our pitching thus far has been relatively good...not great but good....if our big hitters (berkman) can get it going, this team will probably be fine, whether we have Clemens or not.

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

This is hilarious. Somehow, between Jennings and Pettitte, Jennings is the one who is damaged goods?!?! Because of one injury? Oswalt went on the DL last season himself - is he damaged goods?

Also, Andy guarantees Clemens? Who are you kidding?

Finally, why in the world would you want Buchholz pitching instead of Albers or Sampson? Take a look at the numbers this season as well as career numbers for those three, and tell me how in the world Buchholz is the guy.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

with a .276 OBP.

the idea that we gave up some really good players that we can't replace is ridiculous. we needed another starter. we have one. he's pitched well...he had a little tweak injury. he'll be back soon.

6. Buck Turgidson

Never ceases to amaze how people can twist things to fit into their preconceived notions.

7. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

#47 texanskan, Apr 25, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  8. texanskan

opps I'm at work and my facts got mixed up in your quote

9. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

He's 4 for 5 today and his average is up to .246. He's even driving in a run! I still don't think we'll end up missing him. He's a one diminsional player who doesn't hit for a high enough average, walk enough, make enough contact, or hit with enough power to fit any productive slot in the lineup. I love watching him bunt for hits, but he's a poor leadoff hitter.

Hirsh is the guy who I think will end up being good. His minor league numbers and his start to the season suggest it. But Jennings is a more proven commodity, so the deal made sense at the time. We couldn't go into the season with Woody Williams as our #2.

10. texanskan

Yeah Superstar Chris Burke is so much better than Willy T. What is he hitting 231 or something like that.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

neither is a long-term solution at CF.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Even if Willy T was still here, we'd all still be pining for Pence. Taveras is persona non grata as far as this team goes.

13. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Burke is a 2B forced to play CF. CF is a position that usually contributes significantly more offensively than 2B. And that said, Burke has the potential to develop into a much more well-rounded offensive player than Willy. He's got a little power and more plate discipline to go along with his speed. Which is why we used a #1 pick to get him, while Taveras was obtained (along with Scott) for Jeroime Robertson.

14. The Cat

There's $18 million. Pretty clear.

No, that's your opinion. Many people feel giving one solid prospect and two close to worthless pieces for a starter with a 3.78 ERA and a history of durability is not overpaying.

FACT-Wandy Rodriguez went 4-0 with a 2.53 ERA last April. Stats in about 2/3 of one month are pretty much meaningless.

No, that's your opinion. I think Burke is solid defensively.

My strong opinion - Clemens plays for the Astros regardless.

15. Buck Turgidson

You can't be serious.

16. The Cat

Even with Willy's solid day today, his OPS for the season is about .590, while Burke's is at .653. If both rebound to previous season numbers, Willy will be around .670, while Burke will be around .760. Burke has clearly been the better hitter this year, and he was clearly the better hitter last year. Sorry to have to inform you that there's more to hitting than batting average.

17. The Cat

I'm serious. I was as disappointed as anyone in Burke's defense in the opening series, but I've watched every game since, and I think he's made a lot of strides. He's not Taveras on defense - that much is obvious - but I think he's a solid defender who's making good reads. His arm hasn't been nearly as much of a liability as I feared.

18. Buck Turgidson

Couldn't disagree more.

19. texanskan

We are not watching the same game my friend.

20. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Weren't the Astros shopping for other number 2s prior to Pettite leaving? They would have had Garland if the ChiSox hadn't backed out...Pettite kind of takes it personally, Astros don't up their offer because they don't wanna pay for proven damaged goods, so Pettite leaves and Astros work a deal for option B in Jennings. Willy T and Buccholz were essentially throw aways...Hirsch had some upside but we needed a proven guy who could eat up innings. Jennings can do that...nothing about this scenarious says the Astros panicked.