1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

C(Bud)eiling?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Well the other thread has mutated into a Chase debate, I thought I would give the topic a named thread here. Obviously Chase is the object of trade speculation due to the value he (probably) holds around the league. There are ranges of projections on him from some of the more astute minds on the board. I think most would admit he will be a rotation player in the league. Many would take it further and say he can be an impact all star type of guy. I don't think any would contend he is going to be an elite franchise type of all star player.

What is Cbuds value? Would you trade him+14 if it could get you #6? Would you swap him for just Anthony Randolph? I would in both cases.... Would you? Do you give up Jordan Hill before Chase?

I like the guy a lot, but hear me out on this. His college career followed a path of an early start and then he didn't really develop as much as some thought he would. Even at the college level he had trouble creating offense. While Budinger can prove to be a sniper who is offensively above average in most categories , I don't ever seem him being even a second option in an offense. Chase will probably turn out really good, but I hope that if Morey is given the option to deal Chase for just a chance at a franchise guy (like Cousins) that he takes it.

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would rather give up Shane & Trevor...

I like our Lowry/Budinger/Hill bench more than just about anything we have...

3. ILoveTheRockets

4. tonybrooksadj

tonybrooksadj Member

From watching the moves that Morey has made in the past, hes all about value and getting more for less. He always goes with the best available palyer in the draft and he has said all along that he wants to make this team as ready to win a championship as possible. Will he trade Bud if the right deal is presented bet your a** he will but only if we come out better than we were before. With all the possible scenarios it is impossible to predict what he is gonna do. I think he only trades to move up if he thinks he has a legit franchise player if not he is going to draft another piece for a possible sign and trade to land one of the big FAs.

5. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

the right answer is "it depends". if there's a guy you like, who you think is a potential elite player available at #6, then absolutely you trade Chase+14 for it, if the other team is willing to take such a low-end package. the problem is that if THAT guy is available at #6, other teams will want him too, and would likely offer a better package than your low rent lottery pick and unproven player. so yeah, it depends, as it always does.

what's chase's value alone? in terms of draft picks, probably not so high because of the depth at the wing and forward spots in this draft.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

lol.....
    if there is better talent in the draft, you'll pull the trigger... save only veterans who are worth it

7. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

I think his ceiling is a Mike Miller type with slightly better defense and little less playmaking ability.

In a good team, he can be a 3-4th best player. With luck/injuries to others, he might be able to sniff a one or two all-star games in his career.

But if you can flip him for a prospect with "true" all-star potential (and similar "bust potential"), of course you do it.

And at this point, I wouldn't trade him straight up for Randolph. I'm not at all convinced that Randolph can become a star in this league.

8. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

I think his ceiling is an above average starter.

I answered 'yes' to the questions.

9. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

So if it was Chase+#14+2012 for Cousins would you do it? I would most definetly.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The question is would you trade Bud for someone like George or X. Henry at #12? I would for Henry.

11. Raven

Raven Member

Nope, too high risk.

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see how that was laugh out loud funny.

Obviously. I never said you shouldn't.

13. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

What are we really giving up? We will keep the higher of the two picks we have in 2012 and the odds are good that will be a pretty crappy first rounder while we retain NYs pick. Budinger is a talent but was only a 2nd rounder. Then #14 which has some value. But we actually take a stab at getting a top tier talent. Get Cousins on a veteran team, with Shane Battier, Scola etc and let him embrace that culture. He was a freshman in college this year, still a kid. He only played 24 min a game but think of that for every one of those 24 minutes he was the focal point of the other teams defense and he still destroyed them. Cousins will be able to play in the NBA next year. Maybe not 30 min, but he will play and be effective. The ceiling is the limit on this guy. He can succeed more easily inside of an organization like ours and we have to pay high for the chance that we can get as opposed to pipe dreams like Chris Bosh.

Jermaine Taylor would bring different spin because he is a different talent and a scores in other ways but I could see him being similarly effective next year to what we got from Chase this past year.

14. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I love what Chase brings to the team and think he has huge potential. If I had the option to trade for Anthony Randolph and the number 6 pick (Demarcus Cousins) I would offer Jordan Hill first. Having said that I would not let Chase be a deal killer. If I could get Randolph and Cousins I would trade Chase if I had to.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

then just laugh
    you said you like the bench better. Fair enough
    At this point the bench saves us time and time again so we have to improve the starting 5
    Just find it funny you prefer bench guys over starting guys
    Again, never get attached to players unless your name is DM who isn't

16. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

LOL :grin: Thats great stuff.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

something tells me Hill is not the 8th pick by accident
    so I don't know

18. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I actually would keep Jordan Hill, over Chase Budinger...

His quick leaping ability and ability to knock down the shot, both in transition and half court combine with his good foot work, could make him special.

--RB

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

History is a great indicator of the future.

Morey has traded $$$$ for picks, and he has traded young proven NBA talent (landry) for better talent (Kmart), he has even traded a pick for a veteran player (Greene for Artest), what he has never done, and most good GMs do not do, is trade a good NBA player for a draft pick, because they know the NBA player belongs in the league, the draft pick is a guess...and a hope.

I think Morey would trade Chase, but never to move up in the draft unless there was an absolute STUD available...and there are only 2 in this year's draft.

DD

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

excellent post.