1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

C(Bud)eiling?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Jun 19, 2010.

1. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

You say that failure rate is the same for college players as international players but call out Scola as proven because of years of international play. If the failure rate is the same, than several years of international play doesn't make a difference. It's funny how you harp on Scola being proven because of his international experience but ignore Spanoulis's 7 years of experience.

I said lead their team to a championship. Dirk is only star to lead his team to a 1st round exit as a 1st and 2nd seed. He proves exactly my point. I can't think of one championship team lead by a star who was a euro league(or Chinese if you count Yao) star instead of a college star.

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I think it's silly to be unwilling to trade Budinger for something that's not a 100% lock -- DeMarcus Cousins might have enough talent to be the #1 pick in the draft. I have feeling a lot of teams are going to regret passing on him.

That said, I think a good indication of his value would be to talk with people on other teams. If I had a top 6 pick, I don't think I would trade it for the #14 and Budinger.. that just doesn't seem like enough to me. But I have no idea.. it would be interesting to get fans of other teams take on him. Most probably won't even know a lot about him.. which should put his 'impact' he had on this past year into some perspective.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think you keep them both......

Eventually I think the starters will be:

Aaron Brooks
    KMart
    CBud
    Scola
    Yao

That is a very potent offensive team, and pretty weak defensively,.....IF....the players do not improve, Martin used to be pretty good on D, Brooks is average, and Cbud has the tools to be good....Yao makes them all better by his size.

So, if they all continue to improve that would be one heck of a starting team.

Even then you could bring defense off the bench when needed in:

Shane
    Trevor
    Jeffries
    Hayes
    Taylor

etc..etc..etc...

Sort of like Eddie Griffin was when he was drafted at 7, right?

Not really, teams knew about him all year, but he was an off the bench role player, a 20 minutes per game rookie...if that is all he would ever be then of course you trade him, but, if that is just his rookie year and he is trending upwards, as he did toward the end of the year, then you hold onto that guy, because he could have a very high ceiling.

I see a lot of ARGUING in this thread, but not a lot of people answering the question posed by the OP.

WHAT DO YOU THINK CBUD'S CEILING IS?

Me? I think he will be a borderline all star player averaging about 18-20ppg, 6 rebounds and 3 assists as a starter.

DD

4. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agree

5. DaDakota

OK, who is this STAR player that we are drafting at number 5 or 6 that will lead the team to the championship?

Maybe you should review the players taken at number 5 and 6 and get back to us as to number of them that led their team to a championship.

Also please answer the question I have posed for the THIRD time.....

What do you think Chase's ceiling will be?

I am not ignoring anything you are not taking things in the proper context, trading Vspan who had already decided to leave for a guy like Scola was a good move.

How is that even close to the same as trading CBud for a draft pick?

Answer: It isn't.....

DD

6. BetterThanEver

a roleplayer.

7. DaDakota

Thank you, and if that is what I believed, I would be on your side, I think he is a starter, probably by midseason, or at least a closer by then.

One more question, how can you make that assumption after one year, where his stats are about the same as a rookie as:

Manu
    Kobe
    Tmac
    KMart

And many many others.....how is it that you have made up your mind about his upside?

DD

8. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

So whom did you get for Hill?

I'll answer your question with my guess: I'll agree with you that his ceiling is 'border-line All-star,' meaning, that's the most he'll possibly be, not that that's what I think he'll be. I think he'll end up being an average starter.

9. DaDakota

I think Hill comes off the bench for a year or so, then swaps with Luis......as the starter.

DD

10. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Oh, and DD: that lineup you list, even if CBud is a borderline all-star, will not win a championship.

11. BetterThanEver

I wasn't saying that we draft somebody to lead us to a championship at 5. I was talking about the success of all NCAA players over foreign professional league players.

Budinger is nothing more than a roleplayer at best, if he trades Budinger away. I don't know who it will be for. Just like I didn't know he would trade Spanoulis for Scola. I have confidence that it will be for a better player Budinger, who will be nothing more than a roleplayer.

12. DaDakota

Why have you made that conclusion after his rookie year when he was 21 years old?

Did you make the same conclusion about:

Kobe
    Manu
    Kmart
    Tmac
    etc
    etc
    etc

Because their rookie stats were about the same or worse.

You don't know that, and neither do I, players develop and get better, things change.....people that Tmac and Yao would be good...well.....

DD

13. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Ladies and gentlemen... Say hello to the Dallas Mavericks' B Team.

Seriously DD - do you really think that team is anything other than 1st round fodder even when healthy?

14. DaDakota

It depends upon whether they get better, I am not one of those people that thinks young players continue to play at the same level....regarding that lineup, I think:

Brooks - improves on D and gets better at protecting the ball
    Kmart - Improves on D and gets more comfortable on offense
    Budinger - Improves on D and gets even more efficient on offense
    Scola - Continues to be a solid player on O and D
    Yao - Improves the entire team's D by being a 7'6" giant in the middle

And if you add in players like:

Lowry, Hill, Ariza, Battier, Jeffries, Hayes, Taylor, Andersen.....you have a very well rounded squad with multiple looks and abilities.

Anyway, you guys are changing the subject, please put your thoughts down on what YOU think his ceiling will be........

It should be a pole so we can look back and laugh later.

DD

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I guess all depends on his D.
    http://www.nbadraft.net/players/chase-budinger
    That is one of the tools I mentioned to become decent defensively.

16. DaDakota

So, after watching him this entire year, all you have is what people said BEFORE the draft?

Did you fail to notice dramatic improvement on defense THIS year?

How good is Shane with that suspect lateral quickness anyway?

So, answer the question Daywalker, what do you think his Ceiling will be?

Stay on target folks....stay on target .......

DD

17. TheShooter

TheShooter Member

At first, I thought people on the board were sarcastic when they said they wouldn't move Buldinger for a 6th pick. Are y'all ****ing nuts? You talking about him like he is the second coming of Kevin Durant. CB is okay but I would rather keep Hill and I'd trade C-Bud anytime for a pick 1st pick from 1 to 25.

1 person likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

that is a lot to improve. Again, if you don't have the tools.. such as rondoesque hands....and size ...which are god given .... very hard
    kevin martin - body and mindset.......
    Budinger.... lateral quickness......mindset?

Relying too much on Yao means more stress for his foot again

19. DaDakota

What is his ceiling then?

DD

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Shane has mastered it. It took him years to be a good help defender. He's still more known for his help defense than one on one defender. He's no Ron. He still gets lit up by his opponents.
    Right now, I would say Kevin Martin lite maybe. Better shooter. Better BB IQ. Drawing less fouls. hopefully little bit better on D. not the scorer Kevin is.

I hope he proves to be better.