1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Buffalo and Mario Williams

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by platypus, Sep 11, 2012.

1. platypus

platypus Member

Don't worry this is not a thread bashing Mario, I was just wondering wether or not we will receive a draft pick from buffalo because they signed Mario Williams. I was taking to a friend about this and he's rooting for Mario to have a career year in buffalo so that we can receive a higher pick. Just wondering if any of y'all had an answer.

2. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

I don't think he was a restricted free agent so I don't believe so.

Well, I was wrong.

#2 bobmarley, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nevermind, I was totally off.

#3 RunninRaven, Sep 11, 2012
  4. conquistador#11

I think it's a 3rd round pick for us.

5. C-Mo

C-Mo Member

The Texans can receive a compensatory pick if the players they lost in free agency are considered greater than the players they signed in free agency that season. Those picks are assigned at the end of each round (with the highest round being the 3rd round.) The league uses a complex formula to determine how those picks are assigned. Salary is one of the components. I'm sure one of the other posters can elaborate on this.

6. RocketJedi

RocketJedi Member

I think Briesel, Joel Dreesen, and Jason Allen could figure into the equation as well.

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I is wrong.

#8 emjohn, Sep 11, 2012
  8. C-Mo

C-Mo Member

I dont think Winston counts. Only players who contracts are up count towards compensation. Winston was cut.

9. emjohn

Crap, that's right. My fault.

10. underrated015

underrated015 Member

11. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

he fell down to earth after last year's 7-0 run

12. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

he didnt have a 7-0 run, after 7 games, they were 5-2, and then they lost 8 of the last 9.

13. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

yea yea, you right.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. platypus

platypus Member

16. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

There are two schools of thought on why the Bills fell after their great start last season.

1) Teams started to figure out the offensive system and once that happened coupled with their bad D last season did them in.

2) Injuries. Fitzpatrick played with messed up ribs since the Washington game in Toronto about mid way through last season. Along with that, key injuries to Fred Jackson, Eric Wood, Kyle Williams and Terrence McGee all lost for the season after they went down took its toll. It is Fitzpatrick's injury specifically that still has Bills fans wondering what kind of QB he is. The guy from the first half of 2011 or the second half? Not helping matters is his poor showing against the Jets.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What Harrison said makes me sick. That mentality is what drove me away from the NBA. What if Mario wanted to go somewhere ESPN considers irrelevant and doesn't feel like marketing... so he could build something on his own. That team has talent. Maybe Mario wanted to help it. Move the needle to the next level. Be the reason the team succeeds and becomes relevant instead of sitting on Tom Brady's lap feeding him grapes.

Harrison is a p***y. Dare to build something on your own for once. Jesus. Makes me sick man. Makes me sick.

18. HollaIFyaHEMI

HollaIFyaHEMI Contributing Member

Yes, because Mario completely turned the Texans defense around. :rolleyes:

You don't build a team around Mario Williams. You give that much money to a player that has such a small impact, and you are going to have a bad football team. When Mario signed that contract, he had to know that himself and Ryan Fitzpatrick are going to account for 20% of that teams salary cap for the next 5 years. The Bills are going to need some VERY good drafts to dig themselves out of this hole.

Harrison called it like he saw it. The guy chased the money over a shot at a ring. No doubt about it.

19. emjohn

As far as Watt, it's dangerous for him to say that publicly, but you can't go too crazy over it. Watt only played in 5 games with him, and Mario was still trying to fully grasp WOLB when he got hurt. Barwin and Reed covered the position at least as well as Mario had been.

My only concern is Mario playing like a mad bull come Nov.4th. The last thing I want to witness is a "This Is What You're Missing" game out of him where Schaub gets hurt.

Let's throw a parade and retire his shoes or something when he comes to town and let him feel all warm and fuzzy at kickoff.

Mario went to Buffalo to get the highest initial offer he could get. He and his agent then spent 3 days making their FO sit and wait while they tried to get any other team in the league to match/best the offer. They signed when it was clear no one was going to touch it. Mario to Buffalo had nothing to do with Buffalo. It was an auction, pure and simple.

I don't say it because I begrudge him for it, good for him cashing in and securing his family's future for a couple generations.

But there's no need to start romanticizing things as if Mario wanted to lead a woebegone franchise to greatness.