1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking: Obrien wanted to start Watson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

Absolutely. Agreed. And they have been helped with like 6 1st round picks on that side of the ball.

Pen15clubber, Perki-Perk and Nook like this.
  2. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

I tend to believe this rumor. This is the only explanation for the benching of your boy Savage.
    He went with what Rick Smith Wanted, but as soon as he got the chance sat Savage down.
    there was nothing Rick Smith can do as it was a live game decision,

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I count 3 on offense: Watson, Hopkins, Fuller. 4 if Brown returns.

2nd round: XSF, Nick Martin, plus Allen was a second rounder.

I don't think we can use the excuse that we haven't invested on that side of the ball.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL "my boy Savage"? I guess it was only a matter of time that we'd get people saying that, we've had similar ridiculousness 3 or 4 years in a row.

As to why he got benched, it was because you can't have a pocket passer without a pocket. The reason you go with Watson even before he showed an ability to pass the ball worth a damn is because if nothing else he can run for his life....Savage can't.

The rumors at the draft was that Smith wanted Watson and that BOB didn't....funny how the rumors change to either protect or fluff BOB.

pgabriel likes this.
  5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Not questioning you, I'm actually on your side on the BoB vs Pickle Rick debate but where are the sources for some of the other "leaks" you posted about players being brought in that weren't coaching choices and such?

I remember the Mallet debacle, I know about Watt and the failed/succeeded picks, and the Brock saga as well... but what about the other few?

This doesn't mean that both of them don't disgust me in their own special way. They both have their faults when it comes to managing and coaching.

6. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

seriously- Im sure Obrien made hes observation between savage and Watson everyday at practice.
    There were reports the Patriots came out very impressed during joint practices with Watson.
    Also (i dont remeber if it was La Confora or Ian, but they reported that Obrien was very impressed with Watson and dont be suprised if he starts)

7. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

It doesnt matter who wanted him, if the kid was beating out Savage in practice, Obrien saw it and probably wanted to start him. I
    Bobby you tend to have very good football knowledge, and respect your opinion, but really what makes you think Obrien didnt want to start him and rick did not want too? why cant that be believable?

8. texian

texian Member

You're assuming it's either Rick or O'Brien -- players/scouts/team personnel and many others leak info. More comes from others than the GM and head coach.

The story about O'Brien's "altercation" with Osweiler came from a specific player, then was confirmed by others.

Rumors About Bill O'Brien's Future With Texans Continue To Swirl

Battle Red Blog/Jan 7, 2017, 9:30am CST
    As we talked about earlier this week, there's been speculation that Bill O'Brien may not be the head coach of the Houston Texans much longer. Since Jay Glazer's initial report, several other reporters have joined the fray to weigh in about the chances of the Texans and O'Brien parting ways. It's fair to wonder how much of this is coming from actual sources versus simply being an echo chamber stemming from Glazer's original tweet, but there's no debating that the topic of O'Brien's future in Houston has gotten considerably more attention than it did before last week.

In any event, Ian Rapoport weighed in this morning (thanks to Rivers for bringing it to my attention first), and Rapoport's got some information/speculation I have yet to see anywhere else. Some excerpts, with emphasis added in bold by yours truly:

While the Texans face the Raiders today in a playoff game at 4:35 p.m. ET, six teams are engaged in a competition to find a new head coach.

And many of them appear to be waiting on the future of Houston coach Bill O'Brien, according to several sources.​
    A coach trade is possible. As is a mutual parting of the ways. As is the Texans simply deciding three years is enough; time to go in a different direction.​
    The signing of $72-million quarterback Brock Osweiler, who struggled mightily and was eventually benched by O'Brien, has served as a lightning rod for argument and frustration. Whether he was forced on O'Brien by McNair and the team's brass, as most sources believe, or whether Osweiler is merely a symbol of a brutal free-agent miss, his struggles loom large.

It has been a frustrating season, even with the playoff berth. And several teams hope to be the beneficiaries of it if O'Brien becomes available. If that happens, keep an eye on Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, who coached on the Texans' staff from 2006-09, as O'Brien's successor.​

Neat. This is precisely the type of distraction one hopes for on the day of his team's freaking playoff game. Nevertheless, let loose with your thoughts about the likelihood of the Bill O'Brien Era ending in Houston, including but not limited to whether you'd consider trading O'Brien for draft capital and whether you'd like to see Kyle Shanahan back in Houston if the team and O'Brien do decide to end their partnership.

9. Nook

Nook Member

A source close to the Texans reports that Bob wanted to take Aaron Donald and Khalil Mack over Clowney.

A source close to the team reports Bob never wanted to gut his offensive line.

A source close to the team reports Bob never wanted to pass on Derek Carr, but is cool with now that he has Watson... however if Watson struggles later Bob reserves the right to revert back to wanting Carr.

A source close to the team reports Bob is a thin skinned, narcissistic coach that suffers from bi-polar personality and ultimately wants to ensure he gets constant praise for not pissing on the toilet seat.

J.R. and Mr. Clutch like this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You talk about beating out Savage in practice, but given the level that Watson was playing in preseason, I find that VERY hard to believe. Again, the kid couldn't throw a ball worth a damn just a month ago. His mechanics and footwork were garbage and his results were garbage as a result. He's come a ridiculously long way since then, but I don't think that's a reason to give in to revisionism.

Also, given the history of the team, the GM has never had any influence over who started, why would he all of a sudden have that kind of influence? It just doesn't make sense and comes across as nothing but BOB propaganda.

11. solid

solid Contributing Member

DW is the QB and that is all that matters to me. I am not married to BOB. I just want the team to keep giving DW more stars to work with, especially on the offensive line.

12. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

well i guess we will never know the truth. Maybe when one of them is fired they will speak the truth.
    As i tend to believe it will be Obrien fired before Rick.

I like O'brien (he has hes negatives as well), but think hes a players coach and motivates his team
    but if they do fire him, i would love Harbaugh as Watson coach.

13. Nook

Nook Member

This.

I don't think Smith is all that great a GM but he clearly wanted Watson. He was ecstatic over the pick. BOB just looked like Uncle Fester.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think there is any way to know one way or the other but given BOB's history of "leaking" propaganda that re-write history in order to make him look better, I just can't believe this BS. Also, when you factor in just how bad Watson was looking just a month ago, it doesn't make much sense.

15. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

But Given how he has looked now- I would give some credit to obrien for coaching him up quick.
    He has really progressed well

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I would give credit to Watson for putting in the work. There have been lots of QB's here and none of them have had that kind of improvement so I don't think we can credit BOB for it. So far all BOB has done is make the offense consistently worse year after year. He's been essentially worthless as a coach.....but he brought some competent coaches with him and that's the ONLY reason he's still employed.

17. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

That one is absolutely true and Rick was in the right. OB wanted to cut Mallett when he missed the team flight to Miami but Rick wouldn't let him because it's stupid to go into a game with only one QB on the roster.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Those are clearly from O'Brien.

Many teams are waiting to see if O'Brien is available? Really? Which teams?

Osweiler was forced on him? All of this is trying to make him look good.

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

It is not really an excuse for the offense. Not an excuse at all. Just making the point that talent AND coaching helped to make the defense as good as it is. It's obviously hasn't worked as well for the offense; until now.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member