1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking: Obrien wanted to start Watson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure who BOB uses to leak BS to try and make him seem more competent and I'm less sure why people buy this kind of nonsense but if it works, keep doing it I guess.

Nook and J.R. like this.
  2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

okay just wanted to make sure. that said, this year so far looks pretty good but smith has had some horrific drafts. meanwhile BOB has won two division titles, one playoff game, 3 out of 3 winning seasons, all with truly awful QBs and as an nfl rookie head coach.

macho GRANDE and Perki-Perk like this.
  3. Nimo

Nimo Member

The two are really tied together because the reason the team has won is mostly because of the defense. Filled with draft picks selected by Rick Smith

Watt (1st round)
    Mercilus (1st round)
    McKinney (2nd round)
    Cushing (1st round)
    Clowney (1st round)
    Kareem (1st round)
    Hal (7th round)
    Joseph (FA)
    Johnson (1st round)
    Bouye (UDFA)
    Demps (FA)

Those were all good decisions. I think both have failed on one side of the ball, up until this year. From bad QBs to bad play-calling. A lot of blame to go around.

Nook likes this.
  4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The picks we actually used are good.

But it's a bit misleading because we traded away a lot of picks, including for Nix and Strong and to get rid of Brock instead of just cutting him.

And note how many of those guys are from the kubiak era. Though I do like Fuller, foreman and Cunningham a lot

Nook likes this.
  5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Acting like you weren't on the Start Savage bandwagon as well LOL.

6. texian

texian Member

Ha, you got that 100% azz-backwards. That has been Rick's modus operandi since he arrived here. I can list chapter & verse the doubletalk he's given on different draft picks at different times. He blamed Kubiak for picks that didn't work out. He blamed Wade for picks. He takes credit for Watt when he wanted to trade up to take Patrick Peterson or Aldon Smith. Wade & Bobby Grier talked the McNairs into getting Watt drafted.

When Clowney was "a bust", Rick was telling people he wanted Khalil Mack. When Clowney got healthy and played well Rick started taking public credit. Swearinger? Wade's pick. Now that's he's grown up/helping the Redskins, Swearinger was Rick's pick but the wrong coaches. Sam Montgomery he blamed Wade for. Brennan Williams he blamed Gary for. Trevardo Williams he blamed Wade for.

He even 100% blamed Gary for his extending Schaub after he suffered the Lisfranc injury. Took no responsibility for that, even as the GM.

Jesus, get a clue. He's only been here 11 years. This isn't new.

You know, because he loves talking to the media so much.

And he's so worried about what people think of him. Notice how he's always polite/calm, never cusses, never gets testy with people? Just like Belichick, cozy with the media and always preening in the mirror. LOL

O'Brien wanted a QB who regularly passed up easy completions to run out of the back of the pocket to make hero plays?

So O'Brien valued QBs who play outside of the structure of an offense? Yeah, he loves those guys.

Then why didn't he draft Manziel? C'mon, think.

One thing Rick has been very good at is deception leading up to the draft. He always has a detailed plan of leaked misinformation regarding the draft -- marks it up on a calendar, which lie and to which media person. Some organizations think it's a waste of time, others do it. But Rick has always done it, and thinks it helps.

And there was never a question that the Texans were targeting Watson. Ever.

vinsensual, Blatz, TheFreak and 2 others like this.
  7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Both BOB and Rick are both trying to do the same thing. Neither of them are trustworthy. I wish McNair would just fire them both and clean house.

vinsensual and Nook like this.
  8. Mr. Clutch

I have a million reasons to hate Rick Smith, but we are specifically talking about starting Savage.

That's OBrien. Any leaks otherwise are obvious bs.

Nook likes this.
  9. Mr. Clutch

Especially now that we have Watt, Clowney, Watson, Hopkins and some good role players.

ipaman likes this.
  10. texian

texian Member

Rick and his Broncos obsession. Took it to the McNairs, who brought it to O'Brien. Rick didn't want O'Brien drafting a QB that year. O'Brien wanted to keep Hoyer as a backup and add a rookie. We ended up with Brock, McNairs were sold on him.

True, O'Brien wanted to make an example out of Mallett on the spot. He was showing up late, screwing off, pouting, and drinking that purple drink the rappers used to drink all of the time.

Smith was right in overruling O'Brien that day, imo, because we'd only have had one QB for the Falcons game. O'Brien was pissed.

100% Rick and his Broncos obsession on Rahim Moore. RAC didn't ask for him, had no use for him, benched him early.

Texans were shopping O'Brien for draft picks during the playoffs. Confirmed by Lance Zierlein through multiple sources.

The many leaks came from other team's media on both coasts all at the same time -- Jay Glazer, Mike Silver, Jason La Canfora, Ian Rapoport. Not guys known for making stuff up... simultaneously.

Happened after O'Brien had an altercation with Osweiler when Osweiler went diva again and was acting like he wasn't going to go in and play after halftime when Savage got his concussion.

Ummm, pretty sure Rick has said that and shown that. "I don’t know that this is a holdout. There is no contract dispute. Duane is under contract for two more years. That’s our position,” Smith said. “We’re here to get our football team ready for the season. He should be a part of it."

Blatz, TheFreak and Joshfast like this.
  11. showa13

showa13 Member

Are we so sure he’s using someone else? I could see him being his own source. Either way this leak isn’t even believable to begin with.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

BoB's team just dropped 57

I doubt he feels the need to leak anything

TheFreak, houstonstime and texian like this.
  13. Mr. Clutch

We should shop O'Brien again now that he's proven to be a genius.

14. Mr. Clutch

Yes my whole point is O'Brien leaks a lot. I'm not saying Rick's moves with brown and others were actually good.

I never heard the O'Brien shopping stuff.

15. Buck Turgidson

Timing's never been a concern of his...you know, like when he got his agent to plant stories that he wasn't happy here and would consider other jobs in the week leading up to a playoff game.

Nook, Mr. Clutch and J.R. like this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, I'm not acting like that at all. Going on what we saw in preseason, there was no reason to think Watson would figure things out so quickly. I guess we're gonna pretend like he didn't look completely incompetent at throwing the football just a month ago....

I'm all for giving Watson credit for the progress he's made, I'm just against the people who pretend like how he's looked the past 2 games was what he looked like before that.

Nook, Perki-Perk and J.R. like this.
  17. Nimo

Nimo Member

So you're saying drafting Watson was all Rick Smith's doing? Part of his excellent plan?

I would love to see the quotes or articles where Rick Smith blamed any bad picks on coaches. If anything he has kept straight company line and stays away from saying anything negative from the bad draft picks.

18. Mr. Clutch

It's because everyones is wondering how the heck Savage was his starter

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

It feels dumb with this Rick Smith vs Bill O' Brien. Can we just agree that both are good with average to slightly above average. Both put on a good defense and now have finally got an offense. Both should be responsible for the mediocrity of this team up until this point.

20. Mr. Clutch

We can all agree Crennel and Vrabel have been consistently awesome for 4 years. No drama or embarrassing meltdowns on that side.

Rocket River and Nimo like this.