1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Amick] LeBron James' free agency: Kawhi Leonard, Chris Paul or Paul George could sway decision

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Jun 23, 2018.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Lot of agreement in this thread that Amick is saying CLE is likeliest option for Lebron. And he's not the only one.

I have to repeat: If that's true, why wouldn't Lebron just Opt-In then?

It's the very same amount of $ to opt-in or out (assuming he wants a 1yr contract, per usual). Opting In retains Houston as a viable trade option. Keeping HOU in play, helps CLE and Lebron negotiate all options. Keeping Chris Paul in play lifts the boats of all options. The argument that a opt-in makes it slightly more difficult to pick LA (because it requires forcing a trade) makes less sense the less Lebron considers LA an option.

Now that Lebron seems fine with CLE, why does a Opt-in hurt him?

2. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

The only thing I got from that was that we are going to give CP3 $46 million at age 37...

God I hope Morey is smarter than that.

BigggReddd and 13BeardsIN1 like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

...or Houston isn't a viable option (in his mind) and he can just opt out and sign with the team of his choosing who have cap space. (Cleveland, LA, Philly) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4. amaru

amaru Member

FIFY :(

5. heypartner

Maybe that's why we gave Vince Edwards a #6 jersey. :)

Don't put me down as one of those ppl trying to twist everything into planted info by Morey and Paul. I'm one of the few here who doesn't want Lebron on the Rockets. But not much else to talk about here, for us cfnet addicts. :)

Do you not agree that Amick does appear to say CLE is more likely and LA is becoming less an option (in Lebron's mind).

I'm just repeating that an Opt-In keeps all options in play. All of them.

#85 heypartner, Jun 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    hakeem94 likes this.
  6. macan

macan Member

we may end up with the most boring free agency ever...everyone staying with current teams...
    and i'm fine with that, if everything stays the same, and cp is healthy in the playoffs, we gonna beat worriers' sorry arse

7. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

THIS, 100 motherfkn %.

8. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

When we are considering free agent options I think we are placing way too much emphasis on cap implications ($100 million cap tax). Tilman has already given the go ahead to improve the team at all cost. There had to be scenarios Morey pitched to Tilman that included best case scenario (Lebron) and worst case scenario (Anderson) before he made a $2 billion purchase. Either way the difference we would be paying isn’t significantly different. 10-20 million in the grand scheme is a drop in the bucket when Championships are on the line. If Lebron decides he wants to come to the H it will get done regardless of if he ops in or out. I’m going to get back to stalking Bron on social media lol

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Report: Lakers want to team LeBron with Chris Paul

There might be a new banana boat crew coming to Southern California, but that could very well not include Los Angeles Lakers point guard Lonzo Ball.
    According to this report from Darren Heitner of Forbes, the Lakers are focused on teaming pending free agent LeBron James up with best bud Chris Paul.

It had been a foregone conclusion that Paul was going to return to the Houston Rockets next season. That’s certainly changed over the past couple days with indications being that the two sides are not in a good place.

For his part, it seems to be pretty evident that James will opt out of his contract and ultimately leave the Cleveland Cavaliers in free agency next month.
    With an ability to add two max contract players, Los Angeles has been linked to both LeBron and Paul George in recent months. Now that it appears George might very well remain in Oklahoma City, the Lakers’ attention could turn to teaming James up with Paul.

If this were to come to fruition, it’s almost a foregone conclusion that Los Angeles would look to move Lonzo Ball in a trade. Not only is it unlikely Ball could mesh with James, he plays the same position at Paul.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/report-lakers-want-to-team-lebron-with-chris-paul/ar-AAz4bJc

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If he’s deciding to stay in Cleveland why does he need to keep options open? His decision is made already. He’s not trying to keep options open.

11. rockets13champs

So.. I can pretty much see Kemba being traded to Cleveland, as well as Kawhi
    Dwight
    Lebron
    Kawhi
    Korver
    Kemba

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. heypartner

What? Where does opting-in interfere with staying in CLE. He actually makes more money doing so?

And are you actually convinced now that Lebron's "decision is made already", or were you expressing a What If scenario.

13. likestohypeguy

You give him, some trouble.

14. HP3

HP3 Member

Do you mean trade him to a crappy team lol?

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

What if scenario.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Lebron could get to 3-7 with that team.

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

With what assets?

sammy likes this.
  18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Holic will always find a way

19. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

I'm more worried about a healthy Celtics team in the Finals next year than GS yet again honestly. ECF then add Kyrie and Hayward? Yikes!

20. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

I love CP3 but I agree that it would be foolish to give a max contract for 5 years. Perhaps a 3 year contract but not 5, especially since he’s injury prone.