1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Amick] LeBron James' free agency: Kawhi Leonard, Chris Paul or Paul George could sway decision

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Jun 23, 2018.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh the same cp3 that immediately started working in the offseason, especially once he decided he wanted to be a houston rocket. how people get away with saying these dumb things is beyond me

luckyman76 likes this.
  2. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member

3. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I’m not saying don’t bring CP3 back I’m just saying there should be a ton of hesitation in doing so... this offseason truly will make or break this franchise for the next half decade.

4. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

While I understand the injury concerns with CP3, I don't think there should be any hesitation from the Rockets on bringing him back. They simply do not have a viable means of replacing his on-court production and leadership this year or next. Plus, look at their roster. Other than Harden (turns 29 before this season) and Capela (24), the rest of the key rotation pieces will be 30 or older this season (Gordon turns 30 in December). This group has a short window that the Rockets need to maximize, so bringing back CP3 is a no brainer. Also, in five years, Harden will be 33, and it'll be time for the organization to work on finding his successor anyway.

luckyman76 likes this.
  5. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Would Capela, Ryno, Gordon be the most enticing offer for Kawhi Leonard?

Paul/Melton
    Harden/Green
    Kawhi/Ariza
    Tucker/Mbah
    ?/Nene/Onuaku/Zhou

jevjnd likes this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Amick:

THE ROCKETS AREN’T OUT OF IT YET

Unlike the Lakers, the Rockets have all sorts of reasons to believe they can contend for a title even if James doesn’t come. They’re still expected to re-sign Paul, who was part of the Rockets contingent on hand to celebrate Harden’s big night. Paul even asked a question in Harden’s news conference, not long after poking fun at a recent report that there was tension between him and the team.

As was the case with Paul last summer when he forced his way out with the Clippers, it remains possible that James could opt in to his current deal and force a trade to a team like the Rockets by making it clear that he’ll opt out and leave in free agency if the Cavs don’t comply. And while Houston is considered a longshot to land James, that isn’t about to keep Rockets general manager/newly-named Executive of the Year Daryl Morey from trying.

According to a person with knowledge of their situation, the Rockets are still all in on pursuing James – even if Harden made it clear that it was hardly a necessity. The person spoke to USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation.

“We were a half away from the Finals, so I don't think there is a piece that we need to bring in or take away,” Harden, whose Rockets fell to Golden State in seven games during the Western Conference finals, said when asked what the Rockets needed to add this summer. “We're great with what we have, from top to bottom, from the front office to coaching staff to players, personnel. Our main focus is just getting better, getting healthier, and doing what we do.

“You've got to realize – like it's Chris (Paul) and PJ (Tucker) and Luc (Mbah a Moute) and all those new guys, it's their first year. Look where we got to. Imagine a little bit more time together, it can get pretty scary.”

The specifics of James’ process remain unclear, but there’s a good chance he won’t ultimately talk directly with officials from any team. As one person with knowledge of the situation told USA TODAY Sports, it might be deemed unnecessary because of all the background work Paul, fellow Klutch agent Mark Termini and their associates have done leading up to this point. Put simply, they know the lay of this land and it’s up to James to tell them which situation makes the most sense.​

7. bj83gc

bj83gc Member

Harden made it sound like Bron already told them he not coming down here. I hope this MVP gives him a confidence boost for next years playoffs. Harden is right tho, we was a half away from beating the warriors in 6 games. I am fine with rolling the same core out their next season.

jboslett likes this.
  8. Bruce Bowen

Bruce Bowen Member

no

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

No, but just taking Ryan out of the package makes it better, fwiw lol.

Pretty sure the Spurs would really like Clint and Eric though, especially if the great offers by Boston and Phila will not be out there. Problem is, we don't know if they'll eventually go for a rebuild, and if that's the case, the Lakers package would be way better. Also, in a dream scenario where we are able to pull off a George to OKC kind of trade, it would be very risky for us cause Kawhi could still bolt next summer, even though, if you take out Capela 20M or so contract, Gordon, and dump Anderson next summer, we might be able to offer a max to someone like Butler if Chris help us being flexible for a year...i mean, too many big ifs here, it's not happening bla bla but, just saying.

10. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Harden also said the day before, "whether it be LA, Houston, or Cleveland.."

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't know what gives you that impression … What I got was pretty much coach speak …. nothing one way or the other.

12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Question for the cap experts: Hypothetically, if LeBron were to opt-in and come here, and Sergio Llull (I know, I know) were to tell Morey he wants to come over as well, would the Rockets be allowed to go over the cap to sign Llull since we have his draft rights??

@heypartner @aelliott @BimaThug @basketballholic

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You cannot exceed the cap without using an exception ... flat out. I believe what you are asking is can the Rockets use the Rookie Exception. The answer is "No," because the Rookie Exception is only for First Round Picks.

Llull would have to be signed with some other Exception to the Salary Cap: Minimum, MLE, Bi-Annual, etc. As an example, Zhou was signed with the MLE, and Onuaku was signed with cap-space.

Minimum Exception contracts can only be up to 2yrs in length

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Victory Qiiiiiiiiigarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

Cash Considerations is still my offseason go-to guy.

Joe needs more conditioning for that summer league.

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Awesome! Thanks for the info!